“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in La Marsa
London
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed here on business in October and have to say this was a terrible hotel. I'm shocked to see so many positive reviews for it. This place looks like it was built in the 80s and hasn't been touched since. The decor is tired and in poor repair in some areas (see pix). The public areas are dull and dowdy and everything you touch is sticky. It's a huge sprawling place and I had a good old walk to get to my room. Once there, the walls were paper thin and I could hear TVs blaring from both sides. Next morning's breakfast was OK, but nothing more and the lunch was similarly average.

The staff were friendly enough, but fighting a losing battle in a place like this.

Someone told me you can stay in this hotel for a week, full board, including flights for £300. Well, you get what you pay for. All I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't staying for a week, and even more glad it was business, so not my own money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I landed at Tunis Carthage airport on Monday 4th April having flown from Inverness to London Gatwick and then onto Tunis. My suitcase didn’t follow me though so I arrived at the hotel with the clothes I stood up in and my laptop bag.

When you come into the hotel the reception is open, bright and there is a certain wow factor at the welcoming space. I liked the seating in the reception area and the downstairs bar.

On check-in I explained the situation to the receptionist who smiled, made a phone call and then proceeded with the formalities. He led me to my room and told me that someone would come to collect my laundry in a few minutes!

So I changed into the nice fluffy bathrobe and put my dirty clothes into the laundry bag that had been left for me on the bed and opened the door. They were whisked away and returned to me an hour later, washed, dried and ironed. Now that is what I call express laundry and that is what I call amazing service!

I went for a shower and found a tray of emergency toothpaste, toothbrush, shaving foam, and razor along with the normal shampoos and shower gels etc. It suddenly struck me that in between the phone call from reception and getting to my room, housekeeping had placed everything in the room. Fantastic!

This made a bad situation of losing one’s luggage so much more palatable. The understanding staff were super and could not have been better.

The breakfast feast is served down the stairs from the reception area and the choice was varied and wide. I stuck to coffee and croissants but I could have had an amazing array of food.

I bought some swimming trunks in the hotel shop and used the indoor swimming pool that evening. The water was pleasant and I am sure that in summer it would be much warmer. The changing rooms were under refurbishment but they were adequate.

There are numerous in-house restaurants of which only two were open. It is not the tourist season yet. I ate in both the Tunisian and Thai restaurants and the service was superb. The food was well presented and I enjoyed what I ate. I particularly liked the Thai White Elephant restaurant where the food was delicious and not as spicy hot as I had anticipated.

I went for a walk in the grounds which are immaculately kept and wished that it was warmer so I could use the tempting swimming pools. Following the covered walkway I found myself on the beach where I imagined my little girls playing for hours on end on the endless sands. The beach area was clean but on closer inspection in the dunes there was a lot of detritus which I suspect had been washed up and abandoned by the tide. It would be nice to think that before the high season the area would be cleaned thoroughly.

The room was very well appointed the bed comfortable with a choice of pillows. Free fast wireless internet connection allowing Skype calls home at good quality. There were plenty of towels daily and the bathroom was immaculate.

I liked this hotel, I was staying on business and although it was a 30 minute drive from the office it was like coming home every night. The staff all greeted me and having read some of the reviews on trip advisor about rude staff all I can say is that I never encountered such it. Maybe this is because I practiced my French and Arabic on the staff, or maybe it is because of one is rude to them that it is reciprocated? Who knows?

I am going to write to the hotel general manager personally to thank him for his staff making me feel so welcome. There are certainly hotels in UK of a similar standard who could learn about hospitality from the Regency in Tunis.

As a footnote, at the time of writing there is a security alert on Tunisia. I have to report that Tunis is safe. There are army units posted around strategic points but there is no trouble at all. In the south of the country there are on-going disputes but these are overflowing from way before the revolution and are the airing of old grievances.

Tunisia is a beautiful country and worth visiting. I am thinking about coming back with my family in late summer to enjoy the sunshine!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cwgordon
DirectionGenerale, Guest Relations Manager at Regency Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere thanks for taking the time to post the feedback regarding your last stay at the Regency Tunis Hotel.

We are highly delighted to read all the positive comments you mentioned.

We thank you again for your kindness and look forward to welcoming you again at our Hotel.

Please feel free to let us know whenever Tunis becomes again part of your travel plan.

Kind and warm regards,
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

I spent 3 nights at the Regency after a fairly extensive tour of the rest of the country. This stay was to relax and re-group before flying home. I found the Regency allowed for this relaxation time. We enjoyed the quiet (off peak season) room, comfortable and clean. The restaurants were all very good, especially liked the Thai food. Service was friendly and helpful throughout. Location is definitely not going to be for everyone, it is away from any kind of civilization, however there were lots of cabs available for the relatively short ride into Tunis/Carthage. There was nobody on the miles of available beach, great for long walks, caution, the dogs are not necessarily friendly, you may need a big stick. did I mention off season?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

Came here after staying at Ramada Gammarth earlier.
What I first noticed is that 2 ladies ran the reception... and they were very efficient (in French and English) !
The only thing: my husband was on the phone so I checked-in and they wrongly presumed that I was 'escorting' him and that a single room was booked. This was quickly sorted out and we were informed that the room would be ready in 1 hour (we arrived around 9.30 am).

Nice and airy room, not too clean wall to wall carpet (dirty spots are easily seen on light yellow), queen size bed, writing desk with chair, small table and 2 easy chairs, TV with remote control, minibar, free coffee and tea.
Bathroom with bath/ shower (I didn't find the bath too clean so showered standing up only), separate toilet in an alcove. Towels and toiletries provided.
We had a nice little balcony with table and 2 plastic chairs. In the evening it smelled heavily of the jasmine flowers.
Double glazing, which is necesary because this hotel lies on the flying route of the airplanes !

Dinner: we liked The White Elephant, Thai cuisine (closed on Sundays), it's not cheap but a nice change of scenery.
The buffet restaurant (40 Tnd per pers.) was not bad either, a good choice of salads and main courses. I have seen better dessert buffets though.

Breakfast: breakfast is served in another area and this looks a bit like a canteen, so sit outside weather permitting. Juice (not fresh but some kind of syrupy stuff), pastries, different kinds of bread, pancakes, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal (no meusli), dried fruits, cheeses, the classic warm dishes (tomatoes, scrambled egg, sausages), omelette cooked as per your choice.

The 2 pools (1 heated) are situated in a nice garden, many lounge chairs but tables not clean and was informed by the 'maitre nageur' that the mattresses were actually from the beachside and if I wished one on my chair I should get it myself... another day I wanted the parasol opened and he did it reluctantly, I saw other people running after him as well, he seemed to turn away as soon as he was summoned.
Must say that the 'maitre nageur' was the only one in the hotel who apparently did not like his job.

I had a Tunisian tuna sandwhich by the pool for lunch, it tasted delicious and was served with french fries, prepared as they should be.
On Friday afternoon the pool area got quite crowded with locals/ expats.
The private beach is big enough, unfortunately the beach bar is closed once the summer season is over so the place doesn't look too inviting.
Regularly airplanes flying over which can be seen and heard.

Requested the conciërge a rental car on Sunday around 16h for the next day to be delivered at 09am. We were informed later in the evening that the car was confirmed. And indeed the car was delivered and price was as said earlier.

Staff is friendly and they all say 'bonjour' when passing by, what a difference with other hotel staff in Tunisia...
Check-out ran smoothly and swiftly and all with a smile.
This hotel clearly has the experience and ability to cater for the business and leisure clients but would rate it overall good 4* !!

I did not rate "location" highly but it depends where you need to be and what you want to do.
I rated average because the hotel is not a 5* but does give value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DesertroseBe
DirectionGenerale, Responsable relations clients at Regency Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear Guest,

We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us .

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and all necessary actions are undertaken with the aim to continuously improve our product and the quality we deliver.

We look forward to welcome you soon again at Regency Tunis Hotel.

Best regards,

Hotel Management
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

If it hadn't been for the rudeness of the reception staff I probably wouldn't have bothered to write a review of the hotel. I understand the often snobby attitude of upmarket hotels but this went way over and above this. I was checked in by an older gentleman receptionist for whom my nods and yes's weren't enough, he felt the need to bark "yes or no" rudely at me after every question - I don't remember being spoken to like this since school. After having further dealt with the reception a few times during my stay and being greated with indifference if not outright rudeness I was prepared for the treatment I received during check-out, by a woman this time. I'd given up on all attempts at smiling or saying thanks by this point as there was certainly no pleasantness returning my way.
Overall there's no way this hotel is 5 star. The constant banging on your door is very irritating, someone come to collects your towels, someone else comes to replace them, someone checks the mini-bar, someone comes to restock, someone comes to clean the room, someone with a clipboard comes to ask if you room is ok, someone else came but I'm not sure what they wanted.
Fortuanately the room we had was round the back but we could still hear the thumping music from the nightclub (on a Tuesday) until late.
Some of the junior staff were extremely charming and helpful and not at all like the reception staff.
Location wasn't great and it is a long way out. Rooms were clean enough but not amazingly clean, there was mould on the roof of my room and a spider eating a bug in its cobweb in a corner.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

2.8 km away
Carthage Thalasso
Carthage Thalasso
#3 of 13 in Gammarth

Been to Regency Tunis Hotel? Share your experiences!