Hotels.com
David B
Brisbane

A lesson on how to make a budget hotel

Review of Top Mansion
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Oct 2012
This is my third visit to UT, have previously stayed at the Charoen (see other reviews).

Top Mansion is a lesson to anyone who wants to learn how to build a budget hotel, it's like a Formule 1 with staff. It's main attraction apart from price is that it's close to everything, for those who've never been to Udon before "everything" is as follows.

1. The strip of girlie bars. Top Mansion is next door but two from the main group of bars but Nutty Park and the ""budget" bars are less than 4 minutes walk.
2. The bus station is a close walk (8 minutes...or a 40 baht tuk-tuk ride with luggage).
3. Central Festival shopping mall for those who need a retail fix. It's pretty crappy.
4. The night markets which are one of the best in Thailand, 6 minute walk

If you're coming to UT for "1", you'd already know about this hotel so I don't need to sell you on it. But for those coming through on the way to Laos or to BKK I can highly recommend Udon as a 1 or 2 day stop and Top Mansion as the place to stay. Most will catch the train but ggetting a bus and stopping off at Khon Kaen and Korat are highly recommended. Songkran in Korat was one of the most frenetic things I've been involved in.

But back to Top Mansions. It's a well built hotel which means it's vermin proof, bug free, the plumbing and drainage and air--conditioning works, these are some of the things that let Thai hotels down. If there was an earthquake or fire I'd fancy my chances in this building. The rooms are very basic but spotless (I saw the cleaning lady literally scrub the tiled floor with a scrubbing brush), the bathrooms are impeccable, basically it's just a simple, solid, reliable product. Rooms are made up daily with new sheets / towels.

The check--in was completely smile free (except from the ladyboy), and almost hassle free. My first room smelt of cigarette smoke but I was promptly given a non-smoking room. I didn't specify when I booked, I don't suppose one should expect mind-reading at the price. Wi--fi is standard of course and quite fast with no dropouts. I had to pay 5 baht for a plastic cup too have a cup of instant coffee in... stingy??? Oh well.

There is no restaurant but right across the road is Nobi's restaurant which has western and Thai food, the local fare is excellent and cheap. Motor bike hire is also across the road at the hair salon. Friendly enough but they make you leave a 2,000 baht deposit, fair enough I suppose.

If the hotel had a pool it'd be perfect, but then the price would also go up so it's a question of balance. In a hot climate like UT I'd personally pay more for a pool but for many residents that would take money away from the girlie budget.

The proximity of the bars will be an issue for some, firstly because some people have a moral objection to prostitution, then there's the noise from the bars until after midnight that is largely, but not completely, eliminated by closing the louvres. You won't escape it so if you need absolute tranquility to get to sleep DO NOT stay here!! As for any moral considerations about old western men with young Thai women, make up your own mind but a warning that there will be a steady stream of these newly found lovers passing through the lobby in the morning. Who is really being exploited is the question that should be asked.

Overall this is one of the better value for money places I've stayed in Thailand and I come here often, have lived and worked here. If and when I build my own hotel in Asia this is the model I'll follow. Highly recommended.
Date of stay: October 2012
Room Tip: Get a room on the middle floor, three flights carrying your own bags is killer.
Trip type: Travelled solo
0.5 km from Top Mansion
  • eDreams
12.1 km from Top Mansion
View more hotels in Udon Thani
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Top mansion is right in the heart of Udon and has everything well within walking distance, the rooms although a little basic are very clean, light and airy, compact bathroom and good shower. the only slight negative is it can be a little noisy if you have a room over looking the street! all in all a pleasant stay and i would return.

Room tip: ask for a room not over looking the street
Date of stay: June 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

If you are looking for a clean, basic, room for sleeping that will not cost you a lot this is the place. Property seems to be slipping a bit in exterior cleanliness and upkeep. Just a place to sleep. If your looking for a pool, nice breakfast, fancy room with ambience.....head to their new property next door which has just been built. Can't complain about the cost....would not want to stay in the room for a week but for 1-2 nights fine.

Room tip: probably low floor if you have luggage....no lift
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I have stayed here a 3 or 4 times over the last year.

Previously the off season room rate was 370 THB but on this trip I had to pay 450 THB which is quite a hike in local Thai terms but still offers very good value for money.
There was no obvious change to rooms or service for the extra Baht.

I did receive exceptional customer service as I had an emergency and had to check out of the hotel at 9pm on the day of my arrival, I was refunded the money I had paid for the following nights without any fuss.

Date of stay: May 2012
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is a fantastic little hotel which is right in the heart of everything. Shopping, bars and nightlife all nearby within walking distance. There is no resturaunt but that is not a problem as there are very many eating places nearby. There are washing facilities available behind the reception which is staffed by very friendly and helpful staff.
The rooms are relatively cheap but fantastic value for money. Well worth staying there which I will be doing again.

Date of stay: May 2012
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Top Mansion is in a central location in the heart of Udon Thani. It is no more than 5 minutes walk to the large Central shopping centre, which has a large variety of shops and restaurants. It is only a short walk to the bars and nightlife of Udon Thani. The train and bus stations are also only a short walk away. The rooms are large and clean, fairly modern, good size bathrooms and very good value for money. I personally have stayed on a number of occasions to catch up with friends or to do the short trip to Vientiane for a visa. I believe that it is value for money, I will not hesitating in staying there next time I am in Udon Thani.

Date of stay: February 2012