“Best Hotel in the world”
Review of Amanpuri

Amanpuri
Ranked #40 of 97 Hotels in Thalang District
Reviewed 21 August 2009

No doubt about it - Aman is the best hotel chain in the hole planet.
Impecable service, beautiful hotels and stunning locations. An Amapuri is not different.
Huge property with great restaurants, tennis court, beautiful beach and pool. The service is something unforgettable.
I spent my honeymoon and I couldn't choose a better place to spent the most romantic days.
I love every single thing about Amapuri.
The rooms are huge, so are the bathrooms.
They do everything posible to make you feel special, the staff is perfect , take care of every detail for you to have an amzing time.
I've been to Amadari and Amanusa, both are great but for me Amapuri is the best of all.
It is a pampering experience.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adribuccolo

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We traveled to Phuket and were fortunate to have chosen the best hotel in Phuket and possibly all of Thailand - The Amanpuri. Once you head thru the security gate you're transported to another world, a truly beautiful and relaxing world with exemplary 5 star service!

The Pavillion Room that we reserved was amazing. The bedroom area was very large and nicely appointed, and when you open the doors to the dressing/bathroom area there is a table with vase of beautiful fresh flowers, and a very large dressing area that makes it very easy for two people to get ready at the same time. There is also a sliding door from the dressing area to the Pavillion Sala, which is also another great place to relax.

Pansea beach is beautiful and most importantly not at all crowded as it can only be accessed thru the Amanpuri or Chedi Resorts. The black bottom swimming pools were also wonderful, and just the right temperature. The fitness center was spectacular with glass wall overlooking yet another beach, and a very good selection of equipment to get a great work-out.

The Restaurants were great, the restaurant by the main pool was excellent and not at all expensive, especially for the delicious and high quality food. We also enjoyed the ambiance and the menu at the Italian restaurant

The Amanpuri was so nice that we found it very difficult to leave the resort to see the rest of Phuket as we felt we found the perfect location to relax. The Amanpuri staff was also top notch and went out of their way to assure we were comfortable and that we enjoyed our stay.

I hope to have the opportunity to return to the Amanpuri in the future as this is now my favorite hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank JudyNY
Reviewed 28 January 2009

This place is absolutely one of the most amazing places that I have ever stayed. Every year my aunt and uncle travel to Amanpuri for New Years and they have been going for about 10 years. Finally I was able to go and let me tell you, it was seriously unbelievable. NOTHING will ever compare to this resort.

Here is everything that I love about this place:

1. The private beach is amazing. Clear blue water, white sand, amazing lounge chairs (i passed out in them and woke up feeling so refreshed). There is a small raft you can swim out to and the whole way you can see the bottom of the ocean floor. They also do massages right on the beach in a private area - worth every penny!

2. The pool is AMAZING! Perfect temperature, perfect size, perfect depth. They serve tea by the pool which is so delicious (when you have tea also order the quail egg-like nothing i have ever tasted before).

3. Rooms are so comfortable and clean. Perfect size!

4. Food is impeccable and the chefs will make you anything - even if its not on the menu.

5. The resort is so picturesque, the stairs are unbelievable and everything else... i just cant begin to tell you how wonderful this place is.

NOTHING bad to say about it!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2009

There were 120 guests, 3 restaurants, and 700 staff during our stay and you are paying for that roominess and exclusivity.
After you pass the other hotels across the street from Surin beach, you make a left past one gate and then the Chedi, then another gate before you arrive at the Amanpuri. Initially, the staff seemed politely distant, but after a few days, I felt more at home. We stayed in 502 which was 100+/- steps up from reception and the pool and between the buggy drops offs on the road, making it even quieter. I found it odd not to have a television in our room, but had no complaints otherwise and did not find the room dated. I was surprised to have a view of only the local foliage -- not distant water, mountains, etc. I had the best Thai massage at the Spa of the four resorts where I stayed and should have called ahead for the sauna.
The beach was what I expected in Thailand -- white sand and clear water. Lounge chairs on the beach were well spaced and often vacant and a drink or a 3rd umbrella were only a wave away. There were some small fish to be seen to the right around the rocks and coral, if you wanted to snorkle. Aside from an area in the cove past the Chedi, where they quitely sold food, drinks and trinkets, it was private and quiet -- virtually no longtails, jet skis, touts, massages, etc. The view from the gym at the top of the hill is spectacular.
We enjoyed the beach BBQ and particularly Stefan's ribs!! It included Maine, spiny and slipper lobster, rare jamon (fed on acorns for a year and aged for another 18 months), tuna, goat cheese, prawns, oysters, Thai specialties, salad, steak,...
For comparison, we took the buggy down to the gate and walked around Surin Beach. There were sunbeds tightly packed on the beach, bars, massages, sellers, and restaurants with an occasional topless woman who should have reconsidered. It was then that I appreciated the Amanpuri the most.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Well,

Amanpuri is a lovely and a must go place but I am afraid that The Aman group must, and I say must again, rethink what would/should be the target market for it.

As an Aman Junkie and a frequent traveller I got the impression that the Amanpuri was not (or it is no longer) an Aman Hotel.

Rooms are tired, overall service is comparable to a second rated big resort, the SPA was a disappointement and absolutely unpolite experience to my wife - we are still waiting the SPA manager to return our call.

Still, at the Japanese restaurant, alongside the beach, we were approached a number of times by the waiter asking for job, tips and even after reporting it to the manager. One afternoon we were trying to get lunch and five minutes after us, arrived a kind of extremely noise gathering of "chefs" and we were forgotten there. No food, no service. Saddly, the general manager of the Amanpuri Hotel was amongst the crowd.

What made me write this review almost 6 months after my stay at Amanpuri?

It is because I am client and admirer of the Aman way, as I said we are Aman Junkies, and I am not alone for sure; i.e. I just got back from a business trip to Washington, DC and New York and our last Amanpuri experience was discussed with my US-French-Brazilian friends, and not surprisingly all of them had very similar opinion regarding the kind of certain decadent Amanpuri shape.

Seems that Amanpuri needs to be renovated; its stones and its people. The Aman group and Mr. Adrian Zecha know how to do it extremely well.

As an Aman Junkie and an admirer of its superb quality and History, I will keep my faith that this "message in bottle" will be read by someone from Aman. And we will, eventually, return to Amanpuri with our entire family.

Good luck.