See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 August 2011

For a quiet and private beach in the tourist infested Puket region, Tenta Nakara seems to be the best place to stay. We enjoyed three days here with warm service, excellent food, and comfortable accomodation. There isn't much to do on the island, so this is the ideal spot to stay if you plan to do nothing other than read a book, play card games, swim in the oceam, and drink beer. We thouroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

Boat transport costs should be considered part of the cost of your stay. Expect to spend around 800baht for a one way boat ride. Overall the price of accomodation and food is fairly reasonable considering that there is nothing else on the island other than a small village.

The eco-friendly approach was greatly appreciated (the buildings were lovely), though we were highly disappointed with the massive amounts of plastic we came across on the beach. This is not necessarily the fault of the hotel (we are all responsible really, tourists and locals alike); they generally kept their portion of the beach free from rubbish. However, for us this was overshadowed by the fact that beaches in the immediate vicinity -- and the entire length of the beach side of the island -- were covered with all sorts of interesting objects. This was enough for us to say that a return to to hotel is highly unlikely.

We feel that not enough is said about the amount of rubbish on the beaches in this region. So perhaps more can be done to clean up the beaches on Koh Yaka Nai, maybe attempt to educate tourists about the impact tourism is having, or even allow tourists the opportunity to participate in local ecological efforts. Tenta Nakara is an excellent example of how thinking globally and acting locally can make a great difference!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We toured Hong Kong and Phuket and ended off our trip here for 4 nights.
Truly a bungalow set in a tropical jungle on a beach.
Eco resort with no impact on the environment. We even saw fireflies at night from the restaurant - haven't seen them in years and i live in Africa. But be aware - no hot water - but it was welcome in the heat of Thailand. Also toilets are a bit different with an 'manual' flush system. But all in all the perfect way to end an holiday and get back in touch with one self.
Elle the waitress was fantastic. Food was really great and the staff hospitality excellent.
The massage therapist knows how to work it! Really good.
We enjoyed chilling so much we dodn't even go to the other beach just next door or visit the little village on the island. The beach infront of the resort was great and the two resident dogs awesome!

Room Tip: All the bungalows have great views
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eben71
Reviewed 16 June 2011

very small spot on a little island off of Phuket. for those who want to avoid the crowds.
we were the only ones around; amazing hospitality by L, the only english speaking staff.

food was very good and fresh; the rooms are very nice: a tent inside a hut - the rooms are strategically located on the jungle slope overlooking the bay. amazing sunrise

I would not recommend to stay more than two nights: the beach is extra small and surely not the main attraction. but living in the jungle, the view, the food, the hospitality; all worth a visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gili_Wolff
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Tenta Nakara is a tented resort on the island of Koh Naka, which is a few kms off the north east coast of Phuket. The resort is reached by long-tail boat from Ao Po pier - a journey which takes less than 20 minutes.

My (adult aged) daughter and I stayed for 4 nights during April/May 2011. I chose Tenta Nakara because we were both in need of some "chill out" time to re-charge our batteries and it looked well suited for this purpose.

It turns out I chose well! The resort is beautiful, charming and rustic. Potential guests should bear in mind that there is no electricity in the rooms - so no air-conditioning, hot water etc. Even though the rooms are under cover, we found they were too warm to rest in during the heat of the afternoon. However there was a comfortable hammock on the balcony. Alternatively the beach chairs under shady trees had a lovely cooling breeze. Perfect.

The bed was fairly firm, but comfortable enough. There's very little man-made noise to disturb you. Just insects, birds and monkeys howling in the distance from time to time. One night there was a thunderstorm and I loved listening to the rain and thunder. By design, only half of the bathroom has a roof, so you shower in the sunshine, under the blue skies. A cold (well, "cool" would be more accurate) water shower in the morning was definitely refreshing. Invigorating actually!

They run a generator at the restaurant in the evening from 6-10pm, so you can recharge any electronic devices should you need to.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Beers were cold. Food was great. Reasonable prices. We did a half day snorkelling trip to Koh Kai one day. Snorkelling was good but the island itself was too crowded for me, so I was glad to get back to the peace and calm of Koh Naka.

The resort has a kayak or two for guest use and they provide Thai massage services that need to be pre-booked. There's not a lot else to do there. So it's the sort of place you go with your Kindle (or a good book), take long walks on the beach, swim, relax and just unwind.

If you're think of going I suggest checking the rates at Thaiotel.com. That's where I found the best deal.

In summary, my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would be only too happy to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank walkabout59
Reviewed 9 February 2011

My wife accompanied me on my latest business trip to Thailand where I visit quite often. We have been everywhere from Chieng-Mai to Phuket on business trips and holidays. On this hastily planned business trip to Bankok, a friend recommended a short visit to a "unique" resort called Tenta Nakara before returning home to Sydney, Australia.

It would be very difficult for us to forget the 4 days and 3 nights spent at Tenta Nakara as, despite all our travels around the world, we have never been so close to mother nature, and have not witnessed such a sincere respect for same. There is nothing pretentious about the place, from the friendly smiles on the faces of the staff and management, to the clean and comfortable, yet humble huts sitting quitetly behind their environment, the resort display a deep-rooted culture of sincere respect for nature. Sea, sand, sun, beautiful sceneries, superb (and I mean surprisingly superb) food, and friendly service. For us, Tenta Nakara is truely a paradise on earth towhich we intend to visit every chance we get.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple