See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 June 2010

General Impressions:
Many budget hotels try to emulate the large chain hotels, and having neither the money nor the buying power that the chains have, they always end up looking as a sad copy of a Holiday Inn or City Lodge. Amanta did not fall in this trap. Every room is uniquely designed (I am told, I only saw my own), and the décor and use of very strong colour is an absolute pleasure on the eye. Please have a look at the hotel's website, the pics are an accurate reflection of what it looked like when i stayed there. You will either love it or hate it. I LOVED IT.

Location:
The hotel is perfectly situated. It is a few minutes walk from the beach and very close to the shopping centre (large air-conditioned modern JungCeylon), easy walk to paradise street and walking street. There are numerous eateries in the same block, laundry across the street and beauty salons less than a minute away. Taxi and tuk-tuk stands and car rentals are literally within a minute from the front door. To top this all, it is OUTSIDE the party area, so you have peace and quiet.

Appearance:
Unique, strong colours. A combination of very clever use of colour and painting techniques creates a peaceful haven on Patong beach. I have heard some americans complain about the lack of carpets, but frankly with the temperatures of Phuket and the possibility of sand from the beach getting caught in the carpets, I think the option of painted floors are the best.

Facilities:
This is a budget hotel, so do not expect facilities you would get in a large hotel. The room I used did not have a bath, but the bathroom and rooms were large and airy, and the shower functioned perfectly. FREE HIGH-SPEED INTERNET in the rooms are a welcome surprise. The beds are large and comfortable and there is ample cupboard space. The air-conditioners work extremely well, and rooms are cool within minutes from switching them on.

There is no lift, so if you stay on a higher floor, expect to use the stairs. (4 floors only).

The restaurant is a nightmare best forgotten. Service is terribly slow, the selection is extremely limited and the food taste awful. Even if you have booked for Bed and breakfast, do yourself a favour and eat elsewhere.

Parking is a problem if you rent a car, but the staff helped me find a spot for my car. (Travel to the temples and other beaches are MUCH cheaper if you rent a small car).

Service:
The hotel is staffed by the friendliest group I have met. They will smile and greet you whenever they see you, but language is a problem. Room cleaning is prompt and efficient, but that seems about to be the limit of what they will do for you. Amanta House in my experience has been unique in Thailand as the only place where I carried my own bag. In itself not a problem, but certainly unique in Thailand.

NO JOINING FEES !

This hotels has been an absolute pleasure, and the peace and quiet must be the primary reason for staying here. I walked every night to the party spots, and could come back to a quiet, clean and nice place to sleep. When I next visit Phuket, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Service:
We were checked in by the little boy. He was a great help throughout our entire trip. Service from the older lady was also warm and friendly :). Service was pretty average for breakfast in the restaurant.

Room:
We liked our room. It was clean, tidy, comfortable and had character (see photos). Breakfast was included in the cost of accommodation. There was also a computer available downstairs for guests to use.

Location:
Right in the heart of Patong, but located in a quiet street away from the hustle and bustle. We actually spent the most of our time outside of Patong so probably shouldn't have stayed there in hindsight, but it was very easy to get around (we hired a scooter - just make sure you get helmets and are careful). Explore nearby Surin beach - it was the beach we liked most.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OhThereSheGoes
Reviewed 26 January 2010

terrible . they pretend to be a 3* hotel but, in my opinion,it doesen't meet even an 1* hotel requirements.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YosiIsrael
Reviewed 30 November 2009

the amanta house is in a great spot with everything patong has to offer right at your door step.the rooms are very very spacious the bed was great and sheets and towels changed daily .our room was also serviced daily .the room rate includes breakfast also and its of a set menu which includes the best coffee we tasted while in thailand.the staff are super friendly and will do anything to make your stay that little bit better .overall a great hotel

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dannstef
Reviewed 7 October 2009

my partner and i booked through wotif.com and stayed in one of the very spacious suites for one night in oct 2009. we're both half chinese, and the meta-chinoiserie was cute, though obviously not authentic =)

Amanta House in General:
the decor isn't really thai, it isn't really chinese, but seems like an approximation of what the owners Think a tourist would expect to see given the chinese theme. hence the chinese characters on the doors and sinks, and the hodge podge of decor like framed pictures of chinese vases, the heavy teak furniture and the vietnamese lanterns used as lampshades.
the rich fabrics used for curtains were pleasant, if theatrical, and really set the scene for some period chinese palace drama.

in the suite, the large dining area with its table, sink and fridge was separated from the bedroom by the large CRT tv console. there was at least one english movie channel. and unlike the other rooms, the suite was decorated in palatable shades of gold and brown...i'm not sure how long i could last in a neon pink/green room.

Questionable cleanliness:
the floors weren't really swept when we checked in, and handles had broken off from some of the drawers so we decided to keep them empty rather than not know how to open them after shutting thing up in them.

the bathroom, as reported by another review, does indeed have a window that looks out into the dining area and (if the curtains are open) the outside world will have a view of whatever you do on the potty. bathtub had dodgy looking streaks in them, but the water was hot and the pressure was alright. the cutesy approximation of a washbasin they had in lieu of a proper sink annoyed me because the tap was installed too far behind the washbasin, and you couldn't wash your hands without getting puddles everywhere. there are soap dispensers provided, and the towels, though tatty with holes in them, are very very large.

Security issue?
i was slightly worried that the balcony that runs the entire length of the room had a ladder attached to it (i presume it's a fire escape?) but it seemed that just anyone could climb up and into our room if we didn't keep the balcony sliding door locked.

Location:
the best bit was breakfast! it's at their cafe right next door and though not a buffet, was adequate for my partner and i. there's also a cafe, Sandwich Supreme, on the same street.

it's a short walk from the beach, but not altogether out of the way as compared to someplace like novotel. it's a half hour walk to the holiday inn part of patong beach, if you stroll by the beach.

Summary:
it was super value for money, given how spacious the room was and how generally close it was to the beach. the staff, though smiley, tend to leave you to your own devices. free internet in the lobby is a plus. point to note, though: access to guestrooms require you to climb at least 2 flights of stairs, so if you're not good with stairs, i wouldn't stay here. otherwise, it's a nice place to stay for a few days!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wildauriga