“Major savings in cab fare”

Pimnara Boutique Hotel
Ranked #94 of 328 Hotels in Patong
New Delhi, India
“Major savings in cab fare”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Great place in the centre of patong with everything available outside the door of the hotel

Room Tip: gt a room on the back road
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Asia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I think most of you can guess by the length of the previous reviews that Pimnara is a place that makes an impression, one way or the other.

Having read reviews from Agoda, I decided to go all out and book a Deluxe room.

I was impressed and somewhat stunned by the arty farty decor. Not that it was bad, but it was quite different. Even signs are not printed, but hand written in black paint in a rushed sort of manner, which your eyes sort of glance over, before you realise they might be a sign. Reception is a large white area, which is nice as there's not clutter and it's obvious to the guest where to go.

When I arrived at Pimnara, there were two lovely ladies at reception who registered meand took me up to my bright pink room with "Love" written on the wall facing the bed. The unique style aside, I was somewhat unhappy with the view, which was facing the alleyway, telegraph pole and cables, some run down buildings and the top half of a hill. I had expected a nicer view for the price. So I asked for a room facing the shopping centre instead, knowing there were ones (Superior rooms) which had no windows at all. They instantly changed my room and took me to it. It was a Standard room, which, in hindsight, would have been perfect in the first place. It seemed to be equally as well finished and equipped as the Deluxe room, except that it was slightly smaller. They did not offer a refund for choosing a smaller room, and I decided to leave it alone. Found out the Pimnara was only 8 months old.

It was great having free wireless internet, but note it is not secure- no password is required.

Beds were a shade too hard.

Water leaked from the bottom of one wall of the shower. I guess the silicone seal wasn't done well.

The music from outside was minimal and did not disturb my sleep at all.

About some things previous reviewers have mentioned:

One previous reviewer said the windows were not one way or blocked from people below. That is true. However, I did not see a single person walking along below look up at me, even from the restaurant opposite. So I was not worried about any perverts down below seeing me in my tighty whities.

Another mentioned the included breakfast was very thin in variety and did not go there more than once. I found exactly the same thing. For a deluxe (or even standard) room fare, guests are entitled to expect a better level of fare. To add insult to injury, I got bitten by mosquitos 4 times while there.

One reviewer said service was poor. I think it varies depending oon the person you get. The two young ladies on my arrival were lovely. The gentleman when I left had a smile that did not reach his eyes and did some things in a funny half hearted way, such as reaching for my hand luggage handle, but simply lifting it up for me to hold, instead of carrying it to the taxi for me (there were no other guests at reception at the time).

Lastly, airport transfer- At 900 baht, as against 350-400 by metre, it's a bit of a rip off, but one you may have to pay if you are going from hotel to airport before, say 9-10am, because there are few taxis around at that time for you to flag down, as I found out.

So, what was good about Pimnara?

- location
- unique attractive decor
- free internet
- high ceilings. Must be at least 10 feet, if not eleven. No feelings of claustrophobia here.

What was not so good?

- poor views.
- stingy breakfast.
- inconsistent staff service.
- for the price, lacks amenities other hotels for same price offer, like pool, gym, massage spa, restaurant/ buffet for guests.
- No free airport transfer- only taxi costing 900 baht for the 25km trip to airport.

Would I stay again? Maybe, but only in a standard room.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows. Standard and deluxe DO have windows. Superior rooms do NOT have windows.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SirCyrus
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Two girlfriends and I (we're all 28 years old) stayed at this hotel on the nights of Jan 13,14,15,16th. On their website and in their email they proudly advertised that if you stayed at least 3 nights, pickup from the airport was complimentary. Given the somewhat hefty pricetag for staying at this hotel, we decided it was nice they offered to do that. When we arrived at the airport, no one was waiting for us. We waited for 45 minutes. After arriving the hotel via a paid cab, they told us they had tried to reach us by email to inform us that they did not have staff to escort us from the airport. I don't know why they hadn't told us that at least the night before we arrived! Of course I am not able to check my email minutes before my morning flight to Phuket from Vietnam! They did not apologize. But they had agreed to upgrade our room from the standard to the superior room so we forgave them for the incident.

There are two young guys (who spoke limited English) and one young woman (who spoke good English) who managed the hotel. The guys need to learn more English and need to smile more. There is no "hello" or "goodbye" and they looked like they were angry all the time behind the reception area. When my friend asked one of the guys for an extra beach towel he just gave her a blank stare so she said "Is that a yes?" and he would just stare at her and a few mins later make a call for his runner to get the towel. I honestly think he really understands the English but pretends he doesn't. Very rude.

The rooms were splendid. Very nicely decorated and super clean. The included breakfast was very simple- toast, jam, butter, OJ, coffee/tea, and your order of scrambled eggs or omelette. No complaints though.

This hotel is conveniently located inside of Jungceylon Shopping center. The mall has tons of restaurants to eat in, get massages/facials, etc so the location was really ideal for us 3 gals. Short walk (10 mins) to Bangla road and 15 min walk to the beachfront.

All in all, the stay was not bad, but for almost $100USD per night per person, the staff could be friendlier and hopefully in the future, put on more smiles than blank stares or frowns.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have different decor. If you don't like your room when they show it to you, ask...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank fhk202
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in early January. The rooms are all individually decorated to a very high spec. Free use of ipad in reception was a good addition and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is in a restaurant opposite but no inconvenience at all. The mall that the hotel is located in is excellent and there are many shops, bars and restaurants in easy walking distance.

Patong in general was not to our liking, much preferred Krabi, but no fault at all of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here on 2 occasions over Xmas and NY 2011/12. Firstly, let me say the staff and housekeeping are extremely friendly and hospitable and the location inside Jungceylon Shopping Mall is excellent only 5 mins walk from Bangla Rd and the beach plus numerous restaurant options on your doorstep. Other nice touches include Ipads in reception for use by all guests and the free wifi is fast. The hotel has a very new feel and every room has been decorated differently with some lovely touches by the designer. It is also very clean and well kept by the staff. The negatives; the breakfast arrangements with Dwine restaurant outside the lobby leave a lot to be desired. The choices are extremely limited and on the 2 occasions we sampled it the full breakfast consisted of one piece of streaky bacon no more than 2 inches long, one cocktail sausage and an egg. Needless to say we didn't return to Dwine despite having breakfast vouchers for the next 8 days. As for the rooms, on the 2 occasions we stayed we had a standard room during our first stay and were upgraded to a superior room on the second occasion. Standard rooms are cosy and have most things you would require, ie. safe, fridge, LCD TV, DVD player, hairdryer, toiletries, complimentary water etc. however the rooms are very noisy and you can hear conversations, door buzzers and people showering and using the bathroom in the rooms around you quite clearly. Superior rooms are more soundproofed with similar amenities including a bathtub but are in the heart of the hotel meaning some rooms don't have windows which can be a little claustrophobic especially if your room is painted with black walls like ours was. All in all, a good hotel, in a great location, which with a few tweaks here and there could be a gem in the centre of Patong.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are excellent value and overlook the mall through french windows, superior are bigger...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple