Lock in great prices from these sites
Trip.com
StayForLong
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 January 2013

The River Kwai Hotel is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to/from the bus station. This was the reason we selected it as we took a bus to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok to go and enjoy the Erawan Water Falls. The River Kwai Hotel is in a good location with 7-Eleven across the street, and a restaurant right next store. From here, you can also walk about 10-15 minutes further to historical sites, night market, and more restaurants. Good AC, WIFI, Comfortable Bed, free waters (2) in room, and very friendly front desk staff (everyone was so pleasant). Breakfast was okay, my friend had a made to order omelette otherwise more Asian options. Negative was that we were put in a room in the front of the hotel and music played extremely loud until 2 or 3 am (karaoke bar to left and restaurant/bar is on the right). Would recommend to request a room in the back. We paid 1100 baht (EUR 27). We inquired to stay a 2nd night, but were informed it was now 1500 baht because it was a Friday night before the holidays. For this area and noise, we wouldnt pay this rate so went next door to their sister hotel and paid 800 baht. We thought it was really nice of the front desk staff to even inform us to go to their sister hotel (River Inn). Tip: Bus Station offers transport to and from Erawan Falls / no need to book a tour!

Room tip: Back of Hotel must be more quieter than front!
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Solo_traveler_girlz
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

If I could add an audio file to this review all you hear is the repetitive bass of the awful club underneath the hotel. As long as the club exists this will always be a crap hotel. Find anywhere else.

Date of stay: December 2012
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stayed for a night whilst tour Kanchannaburi. Good selling point as free wifi in all rooms.

Good location and lots of road-side store in the evening selling good food.

Breakfast was average. Front desk staff very helpful and friendly.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank LMWEE
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This is an older hotel located on the main road running through Kanchanaburi. It is called River Kwai Hotel but you either need transportation of good walking shoes to get to the river.

Service was good but nothing special. The hotel is worn and in need of a serious facelift but the rate was commensurate with the quality. The room is big. The bed was comfortable and king size. A writing desk and easy chair are in the room for writing or computer work and relaxation.

I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but outside in the parking lot is a great grill venue with a good selection of international foods. The also serve cold beer and provide music. Nice place for a dinner before going out for the evening or even if you just plan to hang out around the hotel.

There is a spa and nightclub at the hotel. I didn't try either. I noticed, though, some rooms in the front get the bass vibration from the club. In the rear you can hear the trains blowing their whistle as they are passing by.

There is some night life not too far from the hotel but it would be a good walk. Might be better to get transportation.

It was early in the morning when I checked out. I needed a ride to the train station. The concierge couldn't find anyone so he gave me a lift on his motorcycle.

I would stay here again but it wouldn't be my first choice. It was okay, nothing too bad but nothing too good either.

Room tip: take into consideration the disco and the train tracks when selecting a room.
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank DarwinND
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Arguably, the hotel is a little shabby - but at the price that can be obtained by booking in advance or through various agents/websites, represents good value. It's a busy hotel. The restaurants do well - the new outdoor "House" looks good - and so does the disco - attracting lots of locals.

Don't expect a quiet "resort"!

The breakfast is worth having - a large buffet of Thai and some western dishes and the coffee surprisingly good. I enjoyed my stay and would certainly stay again - the only downside being it's location - away from the tourist areas - and a substantial walk to the Kwai Bridge and the War Cemetery.

On the plus side - if you have a car, there is adequate parking.

I didn't have a car - but I enjoyed the walks to the above mentioned and the night market at the nearby railway station - it's a real market, not a tourist trap!!

The staff are excellent - rooms clean and comfortable - what more can you want at a reasonable price?

Room tip: The railway runs at the rear of the hotel. A front room may avoid the early train!
Date of stay: October 2012