See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The bungalows are roomy, the bathroom is clean with the standard cold shower but no mosquito mesh to cover the open window, so be prepared with mosquito coil and repellent. We had a spacious terrace with two chairs and a table, cushions and a hammock. The bungalows are on a hillside overlooking the bay of Aow Leuk, and they have lovely sea views ( the higher up the better the view).

If you're planning to stay for a longer period, contact the place directly, as they might give you a better deal.

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. They have a breezy restaurant by the beach with nice views of Aow Leuk beach and the sea. The food was tasty, the fruit shakes were delicious and the prices budget friendly. Nothing much is going on after the restaurant closes, however, but it's just a 10 minute motorbike ride from Mae Haad. The road is steep and curvy in places but most of it is paved, and there's dirt tracks the last bit to the beach. This is the perfect place to come if you'd like some peace and quiet in idyllic surroundings.

Room Tip: All the bungalows have sea views, but the bungalows on top of the hill has the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hermann M
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at this resort and during 3 nights we found hardly anything to complain about.
Our bungalow (No. 2) had an awesome view over Aow Leuk Bay. The hut itself looked rather new, with large glass fronts to the balcony, curtains and wooden interior. Almost romantic. Apart from that everything was kept simple: only fans available, no ac, cold water only, no soap, manuel toilet flush, no mosquitonets in the bathroom 'windows' and when walking by one could look easily into the bathroom. I've never had a shower with such a view before, however ;-) We paid 800 B per night (low season) which was more than fair, the normal price would have been 1200 - still ok, but one has to keep in mind that it's rather the view one is paying for, not the facilities.

Only 'real' problem: no laundry service at the beach.

The restaurant had WiFi, which also reached up to our balcony.

For us, it was more than ok and the view made up for the little lacks. The service was nice (sometimes minor language problems occured), we enjoyed the remote location of the bay, snorkeling was fun and we could even rent a kayak. We were a little worried about the food situation at the beginning, but after we've had lunch at Aow Leuk 2 for the first time, we didn't even feel the need to try the only other option at the beach.

The angry man was nowhere to be seen, so we can't say anything about that. The family and the old lady, which probably was the angry man's wife, were really nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at Aow Luek II for 3 nights. It was an absolutely beautiful bay with very clear aqua water. The reefs on either side were great snorkeling. Most of the sand was made up of little rocks, which was fine to lay on with a towel, did have some nice soft sand near the water. Very secluded beach not many people at all! Had snorkel gear and kayaks you could rent. It really felt like were were in a private beach - only 2 hotels and they are both small!

The rooms were up on the cliff top, so you got a great view! There are very rustic and natural - no a.c. only a fan, no hot water but the tanks heat up from the sun each day - this wasn't a problem. Beds were comfortable and the patio with hammock was absolutely amazing - spend a lot of time out there!!

The restaurant was great. The food was very good, some of the best Thai food we've had! The smoothies were amazing!!

I thought the staff was very kind and friendly. Had no problems what so ever.

***Note: This is not the place for you if you don't like: seclusion (one ride into town a day from the hotel - unless you have your own transportation), nature (there are lizards and bugs and yes they can get into your room), basic accommodations (no a.c. no t.v. - just the ocean to enjoy and books!)

**Note: This is a private beach - so no outside food & drink can be brought in.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beth D
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Visting Koh Tao off season we expected it to still be quite busy. But Ao Leuk bay was like a haven! Hardly anyone staying in the bay itself - maybe 14 people at the most - and not that many visitors during the day. Most of the folks visiting the island seemed more interested in scuba, so we were left to enjoy this gorgeous bay with just a handful of people and great staff.
Ate in the restaurant on the left side of the beach every night - great food, really cheap, lovely view and very pleasant owners.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

In my many years of travelling I have, thankfully, never encountered an experience like this. I did not stay here, I simply walked to the resort to enquire about the availability of bungalows. My experience however was so bad that I felt compelled to write this review.

When I arrived at the resort, a man came out of the kitchen to meet me. I politely greeted him in Thai and asked if he spoke English to which he said a little. As I was telling him that I wanted to check the availability of the bungalows he saw that I was holding a plastic bag containing the bone of a chicken that I had eaten (I had purchased it on the other side of the island and eaten it for my lunch. Rather than throw the remains and the plastic bag onto the side of the street after I had finished, I had kept it with me so that I could responsibily dispose of it in a bin). As soon as he saw it he shouted angrily at me in Thai and threateningly slapped the air infront of my head. He then disappeared into the kitchen and his wife came out. I explained what happened and she told me that food and drink from outside was not allowed. When I explained why I had it, she agreed there had been a misunderstanding... fair enough but the way he acted was certainly not acceptable. We chatted and she confirmed that she had a bungalow on the dates I wanted. She asked if I could wait for 30 minutes so that she could show me one. I agreed and she asked me to take a seat. As I sat waiting, the man came out again shouting at me and telling me how dare I sit in his house and to get out. When I tried to explain that his wife had invited me to sit down he jabbed me in the chest and continued to tell me to get out. He then went into the kitchen and came out with a stick with a large knife on the end. He threatened me with it, even bringing it down infront of me. I of course left and did not stay there. Be warned - this man is violent and unpredictable. I would have reported him to the police but to be honest I do not think it would do much good out here - instead I written this review to warn people who are thinking of staying there.

Stayed: December 2012