“Really fun!!!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Food & Drink in Khao Lak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The class given by Ann is really enjoyable as you start from shopping in the local markets to learning how to cook Thai food in a small group. Ann explains everything from start to finish and then you taste each course you've prepared.

A must for anyone interested in food. Thanks Ann for wonderful lesson.

1  Thank gravlax
in 3 reviews
"learn something"
"great fun"
in 6 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
"small group"
"via email"
"delicious lunch"
"dishes"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

After traveling through Thailand and extensive diving for a week, I wanted to do something in Khao Lak that I could take home with me...so I chose to learn how to cook better Thai food. I emailed Ann last minute and the next day I was part of her cooking class, with 2 other women. I got lucky as usually she is completely booked with sold out classes up to 6pp. Ann picks guests up from their hotels and drives us all to the local morning market. That was one of the highlights. I was able to ask a lot of questions, to learn what to buy and how and what she looks for at the markets, etc. Ann answered everything, she speaks great English and German. I was able to buy some red and green curry to take home with me and loved seeing the amazing assortment of vegetables, fruits, pastes, fish and meats (besides everything else you can imagine) and how the local Thai shop. I was amazed to see how they make fresh coconut milk, which we bought and later used...what a difference from the boxed stuff. Before we got in the car, Ann asked what we wanted to cook - we all decided on a soup, stir-fry, and papaya salad. We shopped accordingly and then went back to Ann's very open and very clean facility with a large open front deck. We got an instructive, informative and fun lesson in some basic and standard Thai cuisine and after each course, sat down together to eat our meals. It was really a great day. Lasted from about 9 to 13:30. Ann is very gracious and accommodating, drove us all back to our hotels after the class. If I come back I will definitely take another class from Ann and learn more. The next day, Ann sent the digital recipes, shopping list of what we would need, including pictures of the brands of soy, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, etc...just in case we wanted to buy before leaving or try to find in our home countries. Well worth it! I highly recommend. Better than buying an cheap souvenir...taking home first hand knowledge to use for life and add some authentic Thai cuisine to one's cooking repertoire.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Wanted a break from the beach, so had a look on Trip Advisor for things to do. Came across Ann’s cooking class; really easy to arrange via email from the UK. She’s pretty busy, so get in there quick! Picked up from hotel by Ann on a Sunday morning and visited the local market. Ann knows pretty much everyone there and is seriously knowledgeable and informative. We wanted to cook Penang, Pad Thai and Massaman. Don’t think Ann was overly impressed as not too challenging for her, but that’s what we like and will cook in the UK. Her kitchen is immaculately clean and well run. The outcome was great and ended up visiting the market to buy the necessary curry pastes. Ann emailed the recipes a couple of weeks later. Well worth the time and money....

Reviewed 23 March 2018

I had researched cooking classes in Khao Lak and Ann's received favourable reports. therefore I contacted her by e mail before travelling to ask if she was running a class. Ann was really helpful, keeping in touch with me to let me know when a class was running. She arranged pick ups for the group members (5 in all), and checked with us all if we had any food allergies, and what we might want to try cooking. We settled on coconut soup, green curry and a stir fry, and we then visited the local market to buy the ingredients. Anna also showed us other local ingredients- a real show and sniff experience which was fascinating. Then it was back to the kitchen to prepare ,cook and ultimately eat our meals. The premises were absolutely spotless. We had a table to sit and eat and work stations for each of us. Ann's assistant ensured that we had plenty of water to drink and she cleaned up between each dish preparation.
Ann was really pleasant helpful and informative, speaking very good English-it was an absolute pleasure to meet her, and I can't recommend the cookery course highly enough.