All reviews stayed here nelson mandela hot water first night free wifi dinner buffet nice balcony swimming pool air conditioning away from the hustle and bustle a la carte menu reception area tour company beautiful garden kilimanjaro climb rooms are large busy city
Reviewed 8 January 2017

I stayed at this hotel twice just before a safari and Kilimanjaro climb. It was extremely comfortable with nice bed, sheets, warm shower. It was a welcome addition to my safari and climb since I would be in a tent for 2 weeks. The staff was incredibly helpful, good english skills. Morning breakfast was quite good as well. It is a mile or two outside of town so you don't have the option of walking into town. They do have a shuttle once a day if you desire to get into town.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank chinomad60640
Reviewed 7 January 2017

This hotel is very far from being cheap, but the service is well below expectations. We stayed for one night only (as most tourists before/after their safari), but experienced way too many problems to enjoy this hotel. First, they failed to meet us at the airport - and even when we called them, they were unaware of any problem (and probably the arrangement to pick us, too!), and unhelpfully suggested we should get to them on our own. The price for their pick up is $40 - whilst we paid the official taxi only $20 - don't waste your money if you decide to stay and need to travel from/to airport.

The second problem was in the morning when we attempted to use their free shuttle service. It suddenly became the biggest problem on Earth because it should have been booked a day before (but no one told us this was the rule). After making some ceremonial fuss about this, the hotel gave us a lift in a car.

Whilst the grounds of the property are nice and green, the hotel is next to extremely dusty and noisy road. Our room happened to be right next to the fence, and it was so dusty outside that it's impossible to open windows, and the one always feels a dust aftertaste on the mouth.

There are much better hotels in Arusha.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the road (dust and noise)
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alexsas777
PlanetLodges, Operations Director at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Dear Alexsas777,
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Planet Lodge.
In reading your review I see that there was misunderstanding with your transfer and how our free shuttle service works. Starting with the airport transfer; clearly did not have your transfer request because even the prices you are quoting do not exist here... we charge $35 from ARK and $60 from JRO per vehicle. Did you email us directly to request the transfer? If it was a comment on your online booking, please know those do not always reach us and even when they do we are unable to respond via most booking engines. I truly wish to get a better understanding on how you booked the transfer so we can in turn review our process and make sure such misunderstandings do not happen again. I also wish you'd mention it to us while here so we can conduct a thorough investigation... I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We transfer several customers to/from the Lodge and our transfers run efficiently as has been noted by several clients on this forum.
Dust - You are correct, due to road construction works on the adjacent road; our property was getting pretty dusty. That coupled with delays in our rain season has us all struggling to contain the dust outside. I am glad to report though that the worse now behind us as major construction work is completed.
Free shuttle - Kindly understand that we run the shuttle on demand only. As part of the amenities briefing, we tell clients who are interested that they should sign up the prior day/night - we also have signage at the front desk explaining this aside from the sign up folder clearly marked “Complementary Shuttle” located on top of the check in counter. Unfortunately no one signed up for the shuttle that morning and it definitely takes some coordinating to arrange. Rest assured it was NOT a “ceremonial fuss” but an effort to accommodate your request by checking if a vehicle is readily available, locating a commercially licensed driver as well as rescheduling/expediting other errands so the vehicle can drop you off on short notice... As you acknowledged, we managed to arrange the drop off for free. What you do not realize is that Lilian (front desk) opted to be generous to see if we can do it on complementary basis; if not she would have called a taxi for you since we did not have a shuttle scheduled that day.
I can clearly see that the compound effect of us missing the mark on these three areas soured your overall experience. We certainly value your feedback as it helps us to continuously improve our property and services… Again, my apologies for a not so enjoyable stay with us and if possible kindly email us directly on how you arranged the transfer so we can get into the details of it. I would also encourage all our clients to address such problems with Management while here, that way we’ll get to the bottom of the issue promptly.
Best regards,
Eva for Planet Lodge Team

Reviewed 6 January 2017

I've stayed at the Planet Lodge twice over the past few years, before climbing Kilimanjaro and after my Serengeti Safari, and I'm surprised that anyone could write a negative review about this place! It's clean, the rooms are very comfortable, the staff are friendly and welcoming, and the food is great. The road to the hotel is unpaved and very dusty, but hey, you're in Tanzania and that's part of the experience!! I would not hesitate to recommend it, and I will stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WMKK1974
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

It is a basic place, they are very welcoming and attentive but there is a lot of room for improvement:
1. Mosquito nets don't cover very well all the bed until the floor.
2. Breakfast is very basic and not really good.
3. Dinner prices are a bit too much for what you get. Quality of dishes is between average and poor. We ordered a just boil pasta for our toddler and they charged us 15 usd. After mentioned it, they reduce the price to 6 usd.
4. The hotel need to change the towels, they have seen better days, specially the ones at the pool.

On the other hand the service is quite good, they check out was very quick, they picked up our luggage very quickly from the room.

Stayed: January 2017

Dear aowen5,
Asante for taking time to write about your recent stay with us. Kindly allow me to respond to some of your suggestions for feedback:
1) Mosquito nets - We've addressed this feedback with housekeeping and all nets were made long enough to cover the beds with the colored bottom fabric folding slightly on the floor around the beds. We further spray all our rooms with a mosquitocide (turn down service) to kill any bugs inside the rooms for an enjoyable night of sleep. Lastly we fumigate the lodge periodically to reduce the number of mosquitoes throughout the property. I think all these measures contribute to restful nights at Planet Lodge.
2) Breakfast - We posed the challenge to our chefs to revisit our breakfast menu and identify room for improvements.
3) Dinner pricing - You are correct, children under 8 pay only half of the adult price and for the meal you orders, a charge of $6 is correct. Your waitress (Mary) was on her second week and she certainly made that mistake but upon asking her supervisor, I think they quickly updated the bill. Perhaps they did not properly explain what happened to you and we've taken this chance to retrain members of staff to make sure they give a supervisor the chance to explain so that clients can understand what is going on. I think food preferences differ per individual and nationality but for the most part our clients rate the food quality as great and excellent... needless to say our chefs are continuously working to improve our meals to cater a wider range of customer expectations.
4) Pool towels - You are right, on days with many clients going to the pool the attendant used older towels at the pool. However, upon seeing your feedback and realizing what had happened, we've restocked the pool towels and removed older ones from that stock.
We are glad you found us "very welcoming and attentive" and services "quite good". Clearly there is also room for improvement and I hope those who've stayed most recently can attest to the improvements resulting from this feedback.
Thank you for choosing us and karibu tena Planet Lodge.

Eva for Planet Lodge Team

Reviewed 3 January 2017

I arrived late after a long flight from Detroit via Amsterdam. After a nice greeting I was quickly taken to my room. It was clean and nicer than expected - I had read a few negative reviews beforehand. The staff was very helpful and the dining facility was very good - couldn't have been better. A beautiful facility - the only improvement I would suggest would be brighter lights in the room.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo