New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Evergreen Laurel Hotel

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #22 of 255 Hotels in Taichung
Hong Kong, China
“Nice Hotel - But Not 5 Star.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

We travelled to Taichung via the high speed rail service from Kaoshiung - EXCELLENT SERVICE!!! On Xmas day 2011, so reception was a bit hectic.

Our room was pleasant enough, not small but not spacious either. The double bed had only one pillow each with no spares in the cupboards. Similarly only one dressing gown.

We wanted to cool the room down, but found that the hotel had pre-set the cold air-cond to 23.4 only. So any attempts to get it colder failed miserably. We found it really annoying that a hotel who advertises themselves as 5 Stars attempted to dictate/standardise their guests climate comfort in an effort to safe a few dollars. But to their credit, after two phone calls and having the manager attend our room, we had our air-con "fixed up" received our extra pillows and dressing gown. What this hotel failed to understand is the guest comes first and all these things add up to either a bad or good experience whilst staying at their hotel.

But these things aside (and rectified) the meals were above average as was their breakfast buffet which was quiet extensive. The staff were helpful and polite.

I wouldnt say that we would never stay at this hotel again, but we will take the time to try other hotels first on our return to this interesting city.

Room Tip: Take the time to make sure your A/C hasnt been pre-set by hotel staff. And if it has, speak with the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rick B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Really good hotel with good service. My company forces me to stay at another Taichung hotel, but I would choose this one. I still visit there for the Teppanyaki restaurant which is superb!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stayed here for 1 night in the standard room. The hotel is situated between Sogo Department Stores and Mitsukoshi Department store(better take a cab for this one as it is rather far). I really wasn't thinking much as I just need a place to stay over night before working on the next day. Location is ok I guess, you kindda need to take cab if you want to get around this city anyway, so it really doesn't matter where you stay. It is located in main street of the city so it is good. Upon checking in everything went through smoothy, everyone one was really helpful, you can pretty much ask the Concierge for anything, and they can help you get it(for an extra charge...ie McDonald's....they even have the menu ready). Do ask for the city map as they are pretty helpful in telling what's interesting in the city.

The room, it was spacious and so it the bathroom. Television show welcoming message with your name on it(a very nice touch I would say). There are a couple of things that I don't really like, but they are rather minor like, no wifi, but they do have the adsl cable ready so that did not bother me much, the slippers are the thin paper like type and they break through after I wear then after shower, and oh! I clog the toilet(and that wasn't because I had too much to eat, but it did not flush very well...then again is could just be my room). Had a good rest there and that was it.

Breakfast, many variety to choose from, the other stuff are ok, but ham and sausages are not at par. The fried eggs are pretty good. You need to bring the clip located on your table and throw it at the kitchen counter to get eggs though.

Anyhow, everything went through smoothly and nicely. If I'm in town again, guess what? I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jacksonwu1
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

The reason to travel to Taiwan; Absolutely Nothing, don’t go here unless you have no choice. This must have been a prison island for China at some time, something similar to Alcatraz Island in San Francisco CA, with out the good location and weather. There is no reason to go to Taiwan. The Evergreen Hotel, a OK Hotel, the room has some kind of master lighting system, and do-not disturb master control panel next to the bed. This was probably ok 20 years ago for about a day. The rooms are ok. The staff is ok. No one in Taiwan speaks English. If your punishment makes you go to Taichung then staying at the Evergreen Hotel is OK
Rating points 0 the worst 10 Best
Evergreen Hotel:
Location: 0 (Taiwan)
Staff:4 (No English)
Clean:7
The Good: The Spa is OK
The Bad: Its Taiwan
The Ugly: Its Taiwan
Over All: It is a nice Hotel

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve S
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My main and really only complaint is the noise from other rooms. My first morning there, Monday at 6am, I got jolted awake and jumped out of bed when I heard a huge, booming male voice yelling "HI HONEY!!!" right in my room. After I calmed down I realized it was the guy next door using Skype to call home in America. Even when he resumed his normal talking voice though, which was maybe higher than the average guy talks, I could still hear just about every word, it was like he was on a speaker phone in my room but I couldn't turn it off or mute it. On that first call I learned the names of his wife, kids, dog and either a cat or a fish, not exactly sure, that it was raining back home and that he would be there for 4 more days, etc, etc. I tried as hard as I could to ignore him, but it wasn't possible because the sound would die down for a few minutes, I'd get comfortable and think I could get back to sleep, then his voice would start again, very random and not consistent enough for me to get any more sleep. I thought maybe it would end after a few minutes but he went on for over an hour. This became routine, every morning, 6am sharp, three days in a row. By the 2nd morning I learned the only way to tune him was to turn the TV, really loud, but I think that made him talk louder, so by the 3rd day I just had to figure on waking up at 6am sharp. Also, doors opening and closing up and down the hall, a problem in alot of hotels, was really bad here. I could hear when my neighbors showered, closed their closet doors and opened or closed their room door.

So beyond the thin walls...the furniture is dated, the carpet is old (didn't want to walk on it with bare feet), the bathroom, the phone, pretty much everything else about the room felt dated, but otherwise it was fine. I'm sure it was a super nice hotel 20 or 30 years ago, has a very nice lobby, great but very busy breakfast buffet, but the rooms need renovation and some insulation. Overall I'd stay here again if I had to, it was clean and I didn't get bit by any bedbugs, so I'd say it was decent, but I'd look for somewhere a little more modern and quite to get some rest if staying for business again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business