“Lovely house - lovely people”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Gate Cottage

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
neesi
london
“the worst place we stayed in Sri Lanka”
Reviewed 1 February 2013 for a stay in January 2013
people found this review helpful

This tiny tiny little bungalow in the grounds of a bigger house was the worst place we stayed out of 5 rentals in Sri Lanka. There was rodent excrement over all the dishes and the entire kitchen area. The rooms are tiny. That said the pool - beside the big house was fine but the beach behind the house is unsafe for swimming , littered with piles of residents burned and unburned trash and very black. The photos are totally misleading. The owner saw fit to include my email address in a round robin email to her aquaintances and then asked for a £200 deposit.after I asked her to not do this again. She asked intrusive questions about our health - I mentioned we had flu jabs, she told us we shouldn't have had them, and other personal unprofessional questions. She asked for the deposit 2 days before I left and when I explained I couldn't pay it in the uk she said I could pay it inSL. sounded fine, but I could buy all the stuff in her house for £200 in the UK.. Her housekeeper asked for it in an embarrassed way on the last day of our 2 days in the cottage, and said it would be refunded when I got back to the UK in three weeks. I refused and she said that many guests both at gate cottage and ms Sumners other house complained about her business methods and ill manners.I cannot recommend this property at all.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: the housekeeper and driver were, like all lankan's incredibly helpful and kind.
Liked least: The snotty attitude of the owner, the dirty beach unswimmable beach and the mouse excrement/ and therefor urine allover the kitchen.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Management Response
18 Feb 2013
I wish to deny the vindictive comments by this reviewer. We have no rodents, and she did not make this claim in her email to me, but obviously made it up as she was writing her review. Please note she did not complain that Gate cottage was 1. Dirty
2. The linen was dirty and not up to standard
3. All the necessary utensils, cutlery, stove, fridge, furniture,etc. was not available
4. Hot water was not available at all times
5. The swimming pool was dirty.
6. The beds were uncomfortable
7. Mosquito nets were available, and air conditioning if needed.
This customer was paying £10 per person per night. She pleaded poverty so she did not have to pay the security deposit, which she knew from the very beginning she had to pay. If as she alleges I asked her personal questions why did she not tell me there and then to mind my own business.

I did not reply to this review sooner because I was waiting to get an email from my house keeper in Sri Lanka. I enclose a copy of the main part received today.
"This is reply for that e mail.
I didnt tell anything about you or your business, with her,Just she is telling in her mind. I KNOW MY SELF House was clean,there are not have any dirty or rubbish. Garden was clean. But sea was ruff, Just she is telling only.
But when they left the house our maid went to clean. Then when she finish to clean she told me there was 2 bath towels was missing.I dont know what happen to that."
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 3 January 2013 for a stay in December 2012
person found this review helpful

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing