All reviews lobster curry headmaster's suite history room guest kitchen small pool sri lanka old building boutique hotel call to prayer new wing main building large room mosquito net high ceilings lounge area tea and coffee pedlar street
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed in the Headmaster's Suite. Spacious, quiet, stylish and comfortable! Dinner and breakfast delicious. Hotel team very friendly, helpful and proactive, organising a taxi to collect us from tha airport and on to our next destination. They even found the local name for pandam leaf for a recipe for us. Can't recommend highly enough!

Room Tip: Headmaster's Suite is very romantic!
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here for three nights. This is a very welcoming hotel, with excellent food. Breakfast (fruit platter and egg disk with tea or coffee and fruit juice) is included. Not recommended for those expecting the "cookie cutter" five star experience. The rooms are comfortable and quite large, but a little "old style" and lack some of the facilities often seen in western hotels, such as refrigerators and tea and coffee making facilities.

1  Thank HDavidMc
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Next to last, one night, stop on a 14 night tour of the country turned out to be the most disappointing. One of three properties written up by Conde Nast Traveller my expectations were high, especially in light of some of the worn but warm and welcoming 3 star properties I had recently stayed at. Yes this is a historic building and the photographs make it look nice, but from a comfort perspective the mark is totally missed. I expected a touch of luxury and comfort. I got design, design, design, mosquito bites and a nice ecchymosis on my right shin!
A delicious cool fresh pineapple juice greeted our arrival but there was no management in sight and it was downhill after that. The two, shy, ?inexperienced?, young men/ houseboys who escorted us to our room seemed to do everything here. On initial glance the “HeadMaster’s Suite” looks spacious and inviting but it took hours for the A/C unit to cool the bedroom to an acceptable temperature. (How about precooling the room for a luxurious arrival????) It was always hot and humid in the separate large bathroom/ dressing room you enter through, which is located immediately above the kitchen with nothing but thick old floor boards with visible gaps that let every smell, heat and more humidity into that room. Yes there is a window by the bathroom but with already dozens (only in Hoi Ann, Vietnam have I been in a hotel room so infested) of mosquitos, I wasn’t opening that window. How about a rooftop venting fan? The ceiling fan only swirled the hot air around and blew the curtains on the door, so that if anyone happened to be in the hall they could see directly in.
In regard to those mosquitos: I did seek out management, searching the house up and down for any help since there is no phone to call for help and was given a can of an insecticide. I also liberally sprayed my out DEET but these were resilient bugs. I contemplated changing room and checked out the other rooms and be aware that one room has no external windows at all, the Prefect’s room opens out to the courtyard (against the only place there is to place two poolside loungers) and the two other rooms have the toilet behind the headboard/ wall of the bed (nice “design” !), so I wasn’t up for moving once settled in.
With rain started we went back to the room to find the houseboy doing “turndown”, which involved fumigating the room. With no where else cool to go we stayed in the room where I had a coughing fit.
The large rain shower was nice but the soap provided was the tiniest I have ever been given in a hotel. Good thing I bring my own. The “designer” dangling halogen light in the shower added an element of danger!
When I couldn’t get the safe to work I again searched the house and then asked a Caucasian young man sitting at the computer (who I had seen internet surfing and having lunch outside when I dropped by the pool and I thought was a guest), who conceded he worked there and told me he would send someone. Quick to respond, after 15 minutes of fumbling the houseboy just handed over the master key.
The pool is adequate in size and was clean except for the flowers from the trees that gave it a nice touch. It is a raw concrete “designer” pool with a rough texture and unappealing color, but fine to cool off in or do a mini lap or two. There are only 2 loungers in the shade so don’t expect to work on your tan here.
The bedroom had minimal lighting, a halogen light that did not work and the nice big red hanging glass pendant is not a lighting fixture. The decent mattress with nice bedding sits on a platform bed…and as has been pointed out before, sticks out around the periphery making entering and exiting the bed, especially in the tangle of necessary mosquito netting treacherous. Additionally the bed barely fits in the width of the room there being only about 8 inches in which to walk on either side. 5 steps must be descended before getting to the doorway and 3 more steps, through a fragile wood and glass door to get to the toilet. So in the middle of the night, despite noting this, leaving a light on and having a flashlight in hand I still managed to bump my shin into that platform bed edge and have a black and blue as a souvenir. I also did not see a smoke detector which would be a good idea in such an old wooden structure.
And what’s with that stuffy second floor hallway verandah where never was a window opened or the ceiling fans put on.
Breakfast was fine, departure uneventful….but again other than the houseboys I never saw a manager. There was no goodbye or thank you!
Overall this “designer” place looks nice but falls very short on hospitality and comfort. A tour of the town and other accommodations made me feel that In retrospect staying 2 nights (so I could get in at Galle Fort Hotel) or just blowing the budget on the Amangalle (but, sorry, Galle is SO not worth spending that much time or money in! ) or one of the newer establishments like the Deco Hotel we happened upon where we were given a warm welcome and very impressive tour of.

Room Tip: Avoid Headmasters and the room immediately at the top of the stairs that has no outside window. The "best" of the bad may be the room by the pool and the one at the far end of the upstairs verandah.
2  Thank jwsmd3
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed one night in the Headmasters Room. This is a small boutique hotel ideally situated within the fort at Galle.The public rooms are spacious and decorated in a modern fashion and the outside courtyard dining area cool and very pleasant. Our disappointment was with the room, it was comfortable and clean but in our opinion it lacked the quality touches that could make it so much better. Having said that the staff were attentive and the dinner very satisfactory.

Room Tip: The Headmasters room is the largest but not sure about others
Reviewed 18 February 2012

A warm welcome awaited us in spite of arriving before normal check-in time. Reception rooms elegant and relaxing . "Printers bedroom " well located beside the pool. Freshly cooked breakfast on the patio made for a relaxing start to the day .We availed of a day at the sister hotel The Frangipani where we enjoyed a curry lunch. Overall we felt the menus were expensive. The staff were friendly and efficient although on check-out our bill for the three day stay did not take account of the 50% deposit already paid - when we pointed out this error was corrected and overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple