“No thank you”

Price range: USD 3 - USD 70
Cuisines: European, Seafood, International, Sri Lankan
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: You can sit in the beach sand bar on the bentota river with snaks for a few beers to enjoy the beautifull sunsets! What ever you fancy we will accommodate you. Please join us to the truly superb seafood,which we specialise in,and experiencesri lanken and interntional cusine at it s best the delightful setting of our river side restaurant..
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Based on tripadvisor reviews decided this was the restaurant to try when venturing out from my lovely hotel. Bad choice! Yes, the setting is pleasant and the young waiter was polite. I chose the seafood bisque to start with, and as a past reviewer has commented, it was most delicious. I'm sure I would have really enjoyed it if I'd had the time. Having waited nearly 40 minutes for it to be served, I had barely had a mouthful, when my main course turned up at the table, causing me to make the choice between finishing my soup and having a cold main course or leaving most of my soup, which I did. My freshly cooked fish was good eating,but the salad that came with it, some dry chopped up 'whatever' wasn't. I could not get anyone's attention to pay the bill when it was time to leave and when I finally went up to the counter desperate to pay and leave, I was informed, contrary to earlier information, that they would not accept credit card. Have other people been able to pay by credit card, or did they just get a bit snakey with me? If an establishment genuinely does not accept credit cards, you should be informed prior to dining or you might find yourself in my position, facing ten years of dish washing to pay the fairly hefty prices charged here. I did not have the required amount in rupees and luckily still had enough in assorted currencies to pay and afford a tuk-tuk home. I was eager to get home because some man wandering around the restaurant kept hassling me for my phone number, even following me outside. All together, an unpleasant evening.

2  Thank Brishelen

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I heard & read about serena villa on trip advisor so when i was in sri lanka lasr week i thought of hvng food in the restaurant trust me the food is really awsome and specially sea food. So i will suggest everyone whosoever visiting this small town to go and try the food atleast once.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We chose to dine at Serena Villa Restaurant  on Friday 25th October after seeing there was DJ and music on that evening, as we are picking a different restaurant for each night of our stay in Bentota (with help from our fellow trip advisers ).We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome,as I was going to have a full fresh grilled fish I was shown their  fresh seafood display.I was not impressed, the eyes of a fish tell you a lot (I would not be eating fish tonight). We were shown to a table outside which was fine but if we're to sit opposite one another we could not see each other so we sat next to one another as there was a 12 inch diameter trunk holding the roof on(Thank goodness there was only two of us as if you were a table of four you would only see two of you fellow guests with out leaning side to side.We ordered our drinks and browsed the menu we could not find a starter we fancied so chose a main meal each I changed from Fish to a Sri Lankan Chicken curry my wife also chose a chicken dish with a red wine sauce.The Chicken curry came with rice a spoon of mango chutney (you can't go wrong with mango chutney unless of course it comes with the extra hair) and a poppadom (three small strips of a poppadom just about 1/3 of a full one).The Curry was nice but nothing to write home about I just wish I had more than six small slices of chicken fillet (approximately 4-5oz).My wife didn't enjoy her chicken in red wine sauce.I tasted it and it was the worst red wine sauce I have ever tasted.The waiter cleared the table asking the usual was every thing alright to which I pointed out the hair ,his final reply to the conversation was everything is natural product.I then tried to get a waiter  to get the bill ,a few chatting and four waiters  taking the order two blond Russian girls.In the end I got up to leave still having to ask four more times for the bill.Yes the guy did apologise when I payed the bill but I was going to stay here the whole evening.We left very disappointed with the service and the food and the table we were seated at.This is something I've never done before ,I  got the tut tut driver to take us to Mallis Seafood Restaurant were we ordered a selection of starters and finished with deserts and coffee an enjoyable end to the evening.

1  Thank Roy508
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Everytime I go to Sri Lanka I visit this restaurant because of great food, stunning location by the river and professional service. I've visited many restaurants in Sri Lanka but Serena Villa is definitely the best. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Visited the place with family on a Monday afternoon and the ambience was great. It's right beside bentota river. Just wished they played a little music. Otherwise the food was great. We ordered all types of sea food. The crab curry was the best.