“Very Beautiful Temple with a Great Buddhist Program”
Review of Golgulsa Temple

Golgulsa Temple
Reviewed 30 January 2018

I really enjoyed my stay here. Most people only stayed a day and a half but I stayed longer to really get a feel for temple life. The monks, Sunmondo (meditation martial arts) trainers and staff were all very pleasant and focused in their duties. There were different facets to the temple curriculum from chanting, meditation, archery, martial arts, yoga, Qigong, tea ceremony and much, much more. The temple property itself is very expansive with many buildings and has a large stone carved Buddha at the back where there are also caves. Daily martial arts demonstrations as well. Certainly worth a visit even a longer stay!

2  Thank TerryWanderingNinja
in 3 reviews
"coordinator"
"mattress"

Reviewed 1 November 2017

It's a wonderful experience, especially if you have some knowledge in Buddhism. The daily program includes sitting and walking meditation, Yoga, Sunmudo training, morning and evening chanting services. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are vegetarian and very frugal. Rooms are, apart from futon and bedding, bare, but on cold days the floorheating works. Also, during the stay the temple uniform ist obligatory.

3  Thank Ursula B
Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 2days/ 1 night and would have extended if we had the time.

The good
- among the visitors are a lot of Koreans and you will get to know that many of them want to connect to budism closer than just visiting once a year (to me it sounded like the western: "I should go to church more often"). This made me realize that it is the real deal there
- the Programm is diverse for a day: meditation, two different martial art sessions (yoga and more fighting oriented), tea time with a monk and 108 bows

The neutral / that's just how it is
- guys and girls sleep and eat seperately
- vegetarian food is amazing (I expected this )
- in may 2017 there were 5 monks living at the temple
- wake up gong is at 4am
- you sleep on a thin mattress on the floor

The place for improvement
- upon arrival we were surprised about the paved roads inside the area. It didn't seem as peaceful as one would expect
- read upon religion and temple life prior to your stay as you don't get a introduction to either of those. You are just thrown in and have to seek answers to your question by yourself.

Hope this helps you and you enjoy your stay!

4  Thank Susanne W
Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the temple for 4 nights. My motivation was to experience the life of the temple fully (getting up at 4, eating vegetarian Korean food, train sunmudo, practice archery, meditate etc.)

I did not bring in any snacks, used my phone rarely and stayed in a single room.

I can recommend this temple stay for all those who are truly looking for new experience and have an open mind! All those should definitely stay for more then one night!

All those who are looking for comfort and 6 course menu should not stay at the temple, but only visit the sunmudo performance and Buddha statue there.

For me 4 days were also different: we practiced different sequences of sunmudo, archery, meditation, 108 bows and went to the beautiful beach together (it is so pretty and empty!).

Monks and people who work there are very friendly, professional and helpful! If you show your interest and respect, like martial arts, they will teach you in the best possible way and answer all your questions! If you are used to discipline, like movement and new experience you will like to stay there!

... in more detail:

I knew 4 full dedicated days could be challenging and I knew what to expect and my expectations were completely fulfilled:

1. Practice Sunmudo
I loved practicing sunmudo (especially monk Hyun-Ki) is an amazing teacher with all his heart. For all those interested in martial arts and dynamic Yoga types these lessons are amazing. Go for it and you will take away a new perspective.

2. Food
Korean type, vegetarian and simple food was provided. Generally, I am not a fan of Korean food, since it is too spicy for me. Therefore I only eat very little.

3. Accommodation
The room was simple ( no bed, just a mattress and blanket), but clean and nice.

4. what I missed the most
Coffee and Chocolate!

5. what I learned most importantly
There are more answers in a silence then in constant information exchange. Getting rid of your phone for a couple of days is liberating..

2  Thank Lyra2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

This experience is quite unique, and I would recommend a Temple stay here after doing a fair amount of research in advance of selecting the location.

Be prepared to be pushed with the 4am wake up and martial arts training--much of it put me outside of my comfort zone (activities, accommodations, food) yet it is a rewarding experience and you learn a lot. The schedule keeps you engaged and meets a variety of goals of its visitors.

Moon, the Temple stay coordinator, is extremely helpful, responsive, and caring throughout the stay. Her energy brightens the place up! Worth a visit for the experience.

3  Thank Heathwake