“Lunch and dinner”
Review of Provence - Albany

Provence - Albany
Reserve with OpenTable
Provence - Albany is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 752 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fuller Road
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Restaurant was close to our hotel and convenient. 5 of us had lunch and dinner same day. Vastly different experience - one soul - ham and pea was over salted and thin. The risotto was excellent. The French onion soup great.

Came back for dinner - had to laugh as the very nice waiter recommended we avoid the soups! So true! Most had hanger steak with fries, and it was great. So were scallops. Risotto with mussels super! Absolutely best things on menu were the beet salad and the lemon tart! Wow! Highly recommend- but question all soups!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Haven't been to a French restaurant in many years so we choose Provence. Our waiter, can't remember his name did an excellent job answering our questions since we didn't know much about the menu items.The apps we decided on were prepared nicely....artichokes with two dipping sauces and snails doused in some kind of sauce. Both were good. I had the duck which was excellent as did one of my friends. I would have liked to have a little more on my plate. Soup was also good. It was a different kind of experience. Service was perfect. Bring your wallet. Enjoyed the happy hour with a nice selection of wine and beer.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

This is not at all an inexpensive place but the food is top notch - as is the service. Reservations recommended. Absolutely worth a trip.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I really don’t understand how this place got such good reviews. Based on the reviews we decided to check this place out!

I ordered the French onion soup, Cobb salad and lobster Mac and cheese (to share with my kid).

The French onion soup may as well have been a bowl of salt - WAY too salty and to make it worse, the piece of baguette placed on top along with the cheese was burnt black! I couldn’t even finish half of it. All for $9!

The salad was really ordinary as well. Nothing special, something you can whip up at home but here it’ll cost you 16 buckaroos.

Lastly, the lobster Mac and cheese. Unlike its name, it is mostly bacon - very salty bacon. If you like your Mac and cheese with a side of oil, this is the right one for you. It was completely soaked in oil...along with 4 small pieces of lobster.

Overall for a $68 meal with a $9 tip = $77 it is not worth your money. Oh, and this was just LUNCH! Dinner may cost you an arm and a leg so beware!

(My partner got the seafood chowder and Reuben - said both were good but “not worth the money”) and service was fine hence the two stars.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to Provence and we came due to a gift card. We came on a Saturday evening and even though our server seemed less than enthused to wait on tables, he was efficient and did a good job. We started with the escargot and mussels. I thought the escargot was boring by the mussels were extremely good. The white wine sauce with sun dried tomatoes was perfect and the mussels were tender and sweet. My husband ordered the cheeseburger which was cooked perfectly but lacked in the flavor department. Obviously he wouldn’t typically order a burger at such a restaurant but he is a big eater and typically requires pasta or rice to fill him so a meat dish with a small mound of mashed potatoes wouldn’t have cut it for him. I ordered the rack of lamb and it was cooked amazingly at medium rare. The vegetables on the side had an awesome flavoring of mustard in them and they were very good. The mashed potatoes were ok, garlicky. The French fries with my husbands burger were amazing! Love the hand-cut with skin and perfect oil and frying! If you have the option, definitely chose fries. The atmosphere is homey but the tables for two are extremely close; when the lady next to me took her coat off at her table it swung onto ours and hit my fork. Otherwise, a nice restaurant but pricey for us if we didn’t have a gift card.