Morgan State House
  • Pool
USD 80*
USD 76*
Priceline
All reviewsthe main housewashington parklark streetapartment buildingbed and breakfastdaily grindoff street parkinggated parking lotfourth floorbagelsshort walkwithin walking distancetwo blockssmall kitchenetteno elevatorrestaurants and barschain hotel
Reviewed 29 January 2018

Lovely accommodations right on Washington Park. Lovely, in the sense that both buildings feature elaborate antique woodwork and comfortable furnishings. Given this and the location, if one wishes to be in downtown Albany, the price was good.

Some downsides: I contacted management by email, a day or so before my arrival, to ask for available off-street parking, but did not receive a response. It costs just $10 per night, but I did find street parking, even after hours. I was placed in the annex, where I could not control the heat (the instructions did not seem to explain how to do so with the radiator encased by metal screens). It was a comfortable room otherwise.

I think they could do better.

Stayed: January 2018
Charles K, Owner at Morgan State House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review. Your comments help us to improve out property and services.
I'm sorry that you did not reach us. You can also reach us by phone 24 hours a day. Our goal is
to provide our guests with a great experience. Please visit our website at www.statehouse.com

We hope we will see you again when you visit Albany.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018

If you are TIRED of chain hotels and want a more private, higher-end stay in New York's capitol city, the Morgan State House is a MUST! While priced competitively with the chains for the most part, this elegant mansion is located right next to Washington Park sandwiched between State Street, Washington Avenue and Lark. I was able to walk to meetings on Washington Avenue as well as really good restaurants. So convenience (CHECK)! Off-street parking provided (CHECK)! Unique rooms with luxury linens/towels and duvet comforters (CHECK/CHECK)!! The best part of all....a full-stocked kitchen with everything you could want for breakfast and snacks. While I have not stayed in the warmer weather, there is a courtyard garden that must be fabulous...especially for a glass of wine at the end of the day. Not really a bed and breakfast but so much better than a hotel. Try it.....you won't stay anywhere else in Albany again!

The only improvement needed....the ivory couches are getting really tired and are no longer comfortable as the cushions are wore down both in the rooms and in the living room area. That is IT!

Room Tip: I stayed on both the third and fourth floors. I've seen many of the rooms and they are all fabulous and unique.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Visited for one night in the main house with a room facing the park. I really struggled with this property, as I had relatively high expectations and was deeply disappointed by many aspects of our brief stay

Pros:
1) First level of brownstone was comfortable, classic and cozy
2) Continental breakfast provided lots of choices (although no way to take anything to-go)
3) Updated bathrooms in guest room

Cons:
1) Parking. Street parking was not available when we arrived. We had to double park in order to check-in and unload our car. Parking in the "rear" was available for an extra $10 a night (we had no choice). Far and away the biggest issue is that there is no direct way get from your car to the house without walking around the block. On the night we stayed, the temperatures were at or below zero and the sidewalks leading from the parking lot to the brownstone were completely covered in ice.
2) Check-in. We knew that check-in was between 3 and 7 pm, which was fine. We were contacted prior to our stay to provide a time of arrival. I gave an estimated time, but pointed out that it would be difficult to say as were were traveling several hundred miles that day and the weather could impact our timing. We arrived a half hour past our estimate (but still well within the 3-7 window) and received a call as to our whereabouts. I realize this is a quaint inn, but it made me feel like I was tardy and putting them out for having to come upstairs to check us in. In addition, we had to fully check in prior to parking (though we communicated that we need parking days prior), which took some time. Also, I couldn't recall which credit card was used to book the reservation (and the staff did not come prepared with that information). Also, be prepared that the parking comes with a full page of instructions.
3.) Unable to control heat. It was a cold, cold winter night, and our room was not warm. The thermostat is under lock, so unable to be adjusted by guests. Understand that old buildings often have old windows, it was chilly.
4.) Memory Foam(?)//very firm mattress. I realize everyone has their preference when it comes to sleeping surfaces, but this mattress selection was a real bummer. After bearing the wind and cold, icy sidewalks, and our drafty room, the bed was a complete let down. Not comfortable at all.
5.) Noise. If you are on the second level of the main house, you will hear the entire set up breakfast starting at around 6:15 am.

Room Tip: Be wary of second floor rooms during breakfast set up as their is an open staircase.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Explorers377
Reviewed 11 January 2018

We stooped for 1 night at Morgan State house and we were charmed the minute we stepped inside. Service was impeccable and personnalized , lovely large room and great selection for breakfast the next morning. The decor is so welcoming, also loved the feeling of staying in a home and not a hotel! We aloso appreciated the fact we could have breakfast very early as we were heading back on the road...staff very accomodating and pleasant. Will definitely be back at Morgan house should we plan a stay in Albany again!!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2017

A wonderful inn and an interesting neighborhood across from the fabulous Washington Park. We could not have asked for a more comfortable room. The inn is lovely. Everyone at the inn was friendly and accommodating. We look forward to a return the Morgan State House and a visit to the best of the 1960's architecture in the state capital.

Room Tip: 3 Park. 5 huge windows overlooking Washington Park - perfect.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple