Review Highlights
What a lovely place, great horses and fantastic guide

Reviewed 11 July 2015
Victoria B
Perth, United Kingdom
Great ride with Storm Star

Reviewed 27 June 2015
DougandDebB
Alvin, Texas

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

We had a great ride with our children. Stormstar was sweet and patient. The horses were nice but continuously ran into bushes and piñon trees to scratch. We didn't get much instruction, so this would be better for those with the experience of at least a couple of rides.

2  Thank mamalulurose
Reviewed 11 July 2015

My daughter and I booked a 2-hour ride, long enough for me but my daughter could of continued all day! Scenery fantastic and beautiful well cared for horses. Plenty of wildlife around including elks and black bear. Sadly we did not see either but witnessed elk tracks pointed out by Storm Star our guide.Storm Star is a great guide, real gentleman and will tailor the trek according to your ability. If you require head protection bring your own as this is not supplied.

3  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed 27 June 2015

My wife booked a 2 hour ride with Storm Star simply because he said we could ride the horses at any pace we wanted which is what most trail rides will not allow. My wife and I are experienced riders and single file riding is mundane. Storm Star is a good trail boss pointing out wildlife and their tracks, fauna, and telling of excitement on some of his previous rides. He does not engage in needless banter but a has a good sense of humor. The scenery along the ride was stunning and made for a memorable morning. The horses we rode handled very well and all of the mounts were in good shape and I could tell they were well cared for.

7  Thank DougandDebB
Reviewed 26 November 2014

The horses were very gracious. The trail itself was snow covered and a little rocky. The scene beyond the trail was spectacular, mountains and big sky. The ride was slow. Our tour guide, Storm Star, was very quiet but very friendly and had a great sense of humor. We didn't see much wild life, a beautiful bluebird, a crow, a gorgeous black phoebe. I highly recommend this trail ride, especially for the beginner, but definitely for the scenery. Just a short 15 mins outside of central Taos.

2  Thank o517375
Reviewed 12 November 2014

Our 2 hour ride with Storm Star was exemplary! His people skills and sense of humor coupled with his riding skills saved the day (or 2 hours anyway). My friend was as a scared rabbit, though it was her idea and choice to go for 2 (two!) hours. So, the horses only only walked. Her fearful comments were constantly patiently addressed by Storm Star with calmness and humor. Her saddle several times slid to the right as she is big and was favoring that side. If she had gotten off the horse for the saddle to be adjusted there would have been absolutely no way to get her back up into that saddle. To my amazement Storm Star was able to correct the position of it with her sitting on it! Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it. The ride was nice, the views beautiful. We passed over streams, saw many different animal tracks pointed out by our beloved Storm Star. The price was reasonable especially with such a skilled guide! Take the ride, don't leave NM without it!

1  Thank clearly13
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I went on a ride with Storm Star and myself only. He took my booking at short notice and was very flexible with time that I wanted to do the ride. I am an experienced but out of practice rider and he matched the ride and pace perfectly for me. We had a good chat about local wildlife and were lucky enough to see Jackrabbits (I am from Australia so these were a real wonder for me!) and loads of elk tracks which he pointed out. The ride itself was very varied through different vegetation types - low scrub, medium height pine trees, stream crossings, marsh area and grassland so was really great to see the local environment. Horse was really good as well - well behaved but with enough of a mind of its own to make it a good ride. Thanks to Storm Star for showing me around your place!

1  Thank suep333
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I went on a solo ride with Storm Star, the owner of Taos Indian Horse Ranch. It was by far one of the best trail rides I've been on! I'm an experienced rider, and I requested a more advanced ride. We trotted and loped (cantered) through the sagebrush and pinon trees, crossed the Lucero Rio, rode through cottonwood trees...all on Pueblo reservation land. It was really fantastic. Storm Star was an excellent guide, very personable, and he led a very exciting ride! I would highly recommend going here. FYI, a 2 hour ride (which I did) runs $105. A one hour ride is $55.

4  Thank Sara O
Reviewed 15 October 2012

As stated by an earlier reviewer, we decided to use this vendor because it was run by local Indians. I did expect to hear some history or other information. The guide was very nice, but a man of few words. He did answer questions when asked however. The horses were good and both of us had riding experience, so not having any instruction was fine with us. Enjoyable area to ride. He stated he was going to have a group with kids the next day, I believe he said if they are over 8, they can ride alone. A little difficult to find, as there isn't any signage out by the road. I would recommend this place if you just want to enjoy the scenery and have a little riding experience.

3  Thank AngusJo
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We decided to do this trail ride because it is run by true local Indians on the reservation so we thought we would get some local history, but we were wrong. Although our guide was nice, he didn't speak to us unless we directly asked him something. We also got no instructions on how to ride - although I'm an experienced rider my husband is not and I ended up directing him instead of the guide.

1  Thank Superb423
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Great ride at the base of the mountains. Excellent, well-cared for horses. Knowledgeable guide. Ride is matched to skill of riders.

If you are considering horseback riding while in Taos, this is the place.

15  Thank jmar0801