See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

I have fairly low expectations when it comes to SEA budget accommodation yet this place really takes the cake. My boyfriend and I jokingly referred to the room as our prison cell, although I imagine even Kerobokan prison has nicer toilets. I would highly recommend wearing shoes and perhaps a gas mask if you do choose to use the toilet or shower. I was lucky to have been constipated the whole stay at blue angel so I didn't have to spend longer than 30 seconds at a time in there before quickly shutting the door to keep the smell in. All this aside, it was a tolerable stay and we didn't mind the food. We booked our trip to bukit lawung through the hosteI which was fine, however I warn anyone who does this to avoid a man called Anton, who is connected with blue angel and will probably greet you at the bus when you arrive in BL. You will recognize him by his distinct lack of charisma and attempts to sell you tickets for treks and/or drugs.He says he is part of the tourist info service, yet his idea of customer service is to interrogate you about your travel plans in the manner of a corrupt police detective while you sit in his derelict shack busting to go to the toilet. As part of this friendly greeting he also threatened us that we couldn't leave town without going through him, which is how we. made the mistake of booking a bus to lake toba with him. He lied and told us it was a 4 hr drive, in actual fact it was 9 hours with a little stop in Medan and a ferry trip that he forgot to mention. We ended up getting out in Medan and making a run for it to Bali because we couldn't bear the thought of 5 more hours listening to Indonesian techno and limp bizkit in the Anton magical bus of lies. So moral of the story is avoid this hostel and most of all avoid this Anton character.

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank Charlie M
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I stayed here for one night before going to Bukit Lawang and it was not good. The toilet did not have a sink to wash hands and the room smelled bad. I had booked one single room through booking.com but ended up in a room with two beds at a higher price even though I saw many empty single rooms. Anyways, I thought I got the double bed room for myself but in the middle of the night one of the staff members was knocking at the door telling me another guest had booked the other bed in the room. I was asking why he had to sleep in my room and not in one of the empty room but he could not answer that. This ruined my sleep that night.
They also arranged my whole jungle trekking through the hotel owners brother Anton. At first it seemed ok but then when I arrived to Bukit Lawang he told me he had to borrow money before the other guest arrives to arrange the trip otherwise it would be canceled. He told med as soon as he got the money from the other guests he would give it to me. I never got it back, even though I asked him many times. Anton is usually hanging around Wisma Bukit Lawang hotel and restaurant and is organizing jungle trekking tours. Do not trust him in any circumstance.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Kristofer L
Reviewed 1 April 2017

I've spent there a couple of nights - just because my bank blocked my card and I had like $20 with me.
The common area is ridden with cockroaches.
Rooms smelled terrible (the tiny bathroom inside seems to be the culprit).
Taking a shower is possible only while standing one leg in the toilet bowl.
My room was painted yellow, and the sleeping space resembled a coffin.
I have never had worse nightmares than in this place.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Anlaszpen
Reviewed 11 November 2016

I've stayed in many places in Medan,and in the backpacker price range this is my choice. Very friendly and helpful staff, Annie cooks up a storm, great Gado Gado, cold beer, often good atmosphere and functional rooms. I see many reviews about the rooms, but I don't know what they are expecting in this price range, I think the rooms are fine.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank MikeBlue1972
Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

The wikitravel review of this premises could not be further from the truth. This guesthouse is in horrible condition, filthy and the staff are horrible. There is a strange slight youngman who pesters guests and it was off putting. This youngman and another youngman repeated made advances towards me, which was very unsettling and they would not leave me alone. They asked several times if I was gay/curious and kept pushing to take me out for dinner and drinks. The female owner was very aggressive and persistent about me organising all trips, transport and future accommodation through her. She had written out my trip and a receipt and demanded I go on a tour, even when I had politely refused several times. The room was the smallest, dirtiest, smelliest and heavily bed bug infested room I have ever seen in south east Asia over the last 6 years. It is also next to a mosque so the call to prayer will wake you early. I am standing out of the door in this photo. 0 stars out of 5!!!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo