All reviews raw food steam room detox program zen villas coconut water juices and smoothies colonic irrigation healing massage green juice herbal tea spirit package hot ginger river room spa treatments body and soul rice fields new wing
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I loved my little bungalow, with its open air bathroom, and slider door that looked out onto a beautiful creek. I had a Koi pond outside my other window. A/C worked fine. I think the main reason I liked it so much was because I was a solo traveller. The room was $75 per night, and it would not have been suitable for two people. Too small!!! This is a special place but I could see how it may not be everyone's taste. It is a bit rustic but truly peaceful and pretty. I did not do the health spa package; however, I did get a massage that was great. I tried to have another one and they booked me in a totally inappropriate room with no massage table. They expected me to lay on a mat with and I couldn't breathe very well. For being a "health resort", I did find this to be lame. They should have known better. I did not have the massage and I was really bummed. It spite of its quirks, I did really love staying here and found the staff to be very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank haj1229
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I should have read 'trip advisor' - but really didn't think it was big enough to rate a mention.
We only stayed one night (thank god they didn't want payment in advance).

The accommodation was the big problem - for everyone it seems.

A week there is US$1500 each - and the accom was kampung (village) style - dirty and you had to go to the toilet (in your room) in the rain (which of course it was doing as we arrived there) - they didn't quite get the outdoor bathroom concept right! :) can smile NOW.

I had booked aircon for my partner, due to his massive migraines, (part of the reason we were detoxing!) humidity does not agree with him. We didn't get one. Apparently only 4 out of 9 rooms have aircon. The other rooms don't even have windows in the bedroom so you have to cover yourself with a non breathable mossie net (mouldy and dirty with holes).

The local owners are making a FORTUNE at that place but are putting nothing back into the facilities. Staff were mostly lovely too, but they are not the ones who can initiate change.

Treatments were good, but the whole place is grubby. There is no where to relax - certainly not in your rooms.

The facilities barely rate above (low level) backpacker. We met multiple people there who had similar responses. There is no communication between the staff and management. Before you go you are talking to one of the owners - none of your requests are filtered to the staff who have to juggle everyone and their unfulfilled expectations.

we have now found lots of other great options, that really ARE relaxing and healing whilst also detoxing - it is unnecessary to support a facility that is not investing back into itself.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank capturedmoments
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We didn't care for the the hotel we booked (it was beautiful but creepy) and moved to another, then we found Sari and wished we had stayed there from the start. It is family owned and the family is so very gracious. It is a bit secluded and has a great vibe.

We enjoyed great food and great spa treatments (just massage, sauna and whirlpool). It was here that we made good friends with locals and visitors. Our trip to Bali wouldn't have been nearly as meaningful had we not stumbled upon this welcoming place.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled with friends
1  Thank audigraph
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We've stayed at this resort because their website was nice and the massage seemed to be good with healthy restaurant. Turned out to be the restaurant was nothing but a small coffee shop kind, not enough menu to choose from, so we stayed outside to eat, but most of all, one of the worst massages we've ever had. The therapist was not concentrating what she does, spa facility looked filthy, mildewy, the massage bed was not quite massage bed, having hard time to breathe while on the bed. The towel didn't smell fresh. The decoration was very tacky, waterfall sound was too much, impossible to sleep, emailing this hotel usually returns after 4, 5 days, front desk people are not communicating each other well, the price of stay was different depends on who is in charge at the front desk.

The room smelled also mildewy, takes long time to have hot water, water leaks, roaches, rats, frogs. Nice zen style outside but once you stay there, you do not want to go back.

Their breakfast has just two choices, yeah, just two....

I felt sorry for average workers who are working so hard.

Simply put, the management has a big flaw. This facility could be really nice if the owner finds the right person to run this resort, obviously need big upgrade for SPA facility. We don't want to go in a tub where you see somebody else's hair, just one vynal curtain to separate and someone else is in another tub. (they don't separate men and women!)

We both went to various kind of massage salon in Ubud, half price than Ubud Sari and better massage, clean facility.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Susan_brit
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I went to Ubud Sari for a 'Body, Mind & Spirit Rejuvenation Programme' and feel totally transformed. I went after having 12 years of chronic health problems and needing to spend some time by myself, so travelled alone.

The staff are absolutely amazing; I was allocated two 'leaders' for my 7 night stay and they made sure I was looked after at every point of the trip. I felt extremely welcome and at ease whilst in the retreat, with smiling staff around every corner.

My programme involved juice fasting for 6 days and the juices were extremely fresh and made to order (or made to prescription if directed by the practitioners). The treatments were first class and even during the colonics, which are never going to be terribly dignified, I was put at ease and treated with care. The daily sunrise walks and yoga were energising, and a great start to the day.

Some of the facilities could do with a little loving care and perhaps a lick of paint here and there, but the service and treatments well made up for it in my eyes. The cosy bungalows are cleaned throroughly daily and were spotless. The retreat is well placed for wandering into Ubud and exploring the shops & attractions.

As for my health problems, well I haven't been cured - I never expected to be - but I have come back with a totally different outlook, have much more energy and am much more positive.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo