All reviews raw food steam room detox program zen villas coconut water juices and smoothies colonic irrigation healing massage green juice herbal tea spirit package hot ginger river room spa treatments body and soul rice fields new wing
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We did a detox program here for 6 days full program with daily massage, morning walk and yoga.

In order to apprecitate this review below are some key points about me:-
- been in Ubud more than 15 times
- not particular a yoga person
- not a super health conscious person or vegertarian

Here it is - we have been searching for the best detox program comparing between Samui and Ubud. I have done a detox already (short one for 4 days in Samui) 4 years ago. We decided to try Ubud Sari just to enjoy the city as we both love Ubud and also our friend who live in Japan has recommended us so we went for it.

When we arrived it was quite - we requested for a room near the waterfall. Our friend recommended it as it's more pleasant and the room is a bit bigger. We got a room on the ground which was not at all nice - big but bathroom tiles floor pretty much like living in a cheap flat.

We got our wake up call by a lovely lady at 0600am with a cup of hot herbal tea for a rice field walk. Since we have been in Ubud many times - we did not find a rice field walk any special plus walking with a mob of 10 people marching through rice field at 0600am in the morning is not exactly our style. So we skipped the rice filed walk for our entire trip. Rice field walk was only 40 mins.

Yoga started at 0730am - first day I found it very difficult to hear/understand the yoga teacher as he speaks very softly. However we got used to the postures after our second day - the yoga class is pretty decent. Again I am not a yoga person and rarely do yoga so this comment is coming from a beginner.

After yoga - breakfast served mainly juice for the first 2 days, you allow to have stock, soup and smoothly after your 3rd day. I did not feel hungry at all since you can order as many juice, soup, stock as you want.

We asked to change room after our breakfast - we got a room up on a small hill overlook the waterfall. The room is much smaller but very cozy wooden floor with outdoor bathroom/ cute balcony. If I recall correctly room 4,5 and 6 are the best ones. There is nothing in a room no wifi, no tv nothing just sound of the waterfall. Some people may disagree but wifi in the room would be nice. In any case we survived spending some time in lobby to read news, download movies with ipad and emails.

Highlight of this place are really:-

1) quality of spa here. As I said we have been in Ubud many times and tried many different spa here including Venezia, Monaco, eve, zen etc... They are horrible - I actually gave up a while ago thought that there is no good spa ubud. To be very clear - this is not a fancy spa but the quality of the massage is amazing. We live in Singapore and generally have massageery week but the massage here is divine. Not all masseurs are good though - I had 2 bad ones but the rest are great. If you decide to do detox I would not recommend daily spa program - I found it too much for your muscles. I did not enjoy facial and the bio electric massage too much.

2) Colonic - I did colonic in samuel before and had to say that unix sari is way way better. The two ladies who helped me with colonic are great. They are experts, massage your stomach, keep you relax through the whole process. They really made the colonic experience easy to go through and their massage during the colonic is very effective. They are also the two most lovely people's have ever met. I have a lot of respect for them - they have been working in ubud sari for 16 years doing colonic so you are all in good expert hands.

3) Staff - super fiendly attentive staff starting from leaders who have been assigned to you when you start the program. The leaders will keep track of what you need to do, eat follow your schedule. They are not nurse but served with full caring heart - we really appreciated them. Staff are great starting from reception, kitchen, room cleaning so I would say people in Ubud Sari are very special and love what they doing. Make a huge different for us.

Lowlights
There aren't that many lowlights but important to prepare yourselves. The only thing is really the cleanliness of the outside area - being a humid country it is very difficult to keep everything clean. However there are some basic things: reuse of towel at the swimming pool. I found this is super none higienic. They should have enough towel for everyone for the sun bed and not reuse the towels. Outside Pillows at the foot massage bed and yoga mat are also pretty dirty so I would recommend to bring your own.

We did hear many people complaint that the place is run down and need some touch up work. However we did not mind - the place is old and run down I agree but it does not bother us. We found it quite okay since the room is clean/bathroom towels are also very clean. There were not any bed bugs so rooms are quite decent just outside area need work on a hygienic side of things.

It is important to note though that this place provide more of a fasting and colonic facility. Unlike in Samui where they have more advanced Herbal program to help you detox. This place does not provide detox tea, and all the pills and methods as in Samui. However they just hired a Heath consultant - she was great. She provided individualized program, additional supplement, psyllium to help you with detox. They also don't have coffee colonic here - I am pretty happy with the colonic I had but it would be nice to have coffee colonic as well.

Would I come back again? The answer is definately yes even for just for holidays.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Hugoross
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I decided to start searching for a yoga and health retreat in Bali after going through some ongoing stress for a few months, i read loads of reviews about Ubud Sari and had my heart set on this retreat. When i emailed them to see if i could come late july they were fully booked, so after asking available dates and sweet talking my boss, i was jet setting off by myself within 4 days.

I admit value for money as well as good reviews enticed me, only US$1000, for 6 days including accommodation, all juices (unlimited daily juices-made on medical grade juicer), supplements, health consultation, yoga, meditation, 3 treatments a day , daily colonics.

This was also my first solo visit to Bali, we go about 3 times a year so i felt comfortable to go alone, my boyfriend was working offshore so was very jealous as this is something we always talked about doing......but i just had to go straight away before i lost my sanity.

All i can say is wow, this beautiful place of heaven, such a huge grounds and so so tranquil, filled with tropical plants, plus all there own fruit, vegetables and herbs they grow organically on site!!!

I was so impressed, everything was wonderful, the staff are so attentive and we were allocated our own team leaders (Agus and Sukertini, thank you , you were so wonderful), your program is set out for you and they are flexible with swapping treatments, the sunrise rice field walks were a amazing way to start the day, then yoga and meditation, then juice for breakfast, then a massage and treatment, then another joy juice for lunch, then more pampering and holistic treatments before dinner which was also juice or soup, they also do raw food detox's, for those not so keen on just liquids.

My room was spacious, super clean (they cleaned daily) and lovely, the bed huge and comfortable, i slept so well and felt so safe and secure there by myself. I met some awesome people doing the programs as well.

I cannot recommend this place enough people, i felt so amazing when i came home, the same stress was still there but my mindset had changed and so i was much better equipped to deal with it, and in fact the things that made me stressed to go there have actually been resolved, perhaps coincidence, but i don't believe in coincidence only universal syncronicities!

Do, it don't hesitate for one more minute, its bliss.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank cari_safari78
Reviewed 19 July 2012

last minute booking for just 1 1/2 week change on designated date, we found really please when we reached this place. my partner have stayed one night in one of the room with the outdoor bathroom and he said he would definitely coming back, and there we're.
the room is clean, near the waterfall with a view, the service is very good..the masseuse give the best relaxing massage ever..exploring around ubud by just walking distance and monkey forest street completed our trip when we stay there, we should have stay longer than 2 nights.
we would be back again next year, for sure

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noey_Kamaril
Reviewed 16 June 2012

After reading mixed reviews I had been quite unsure about booking to come here and I am so glad that I did. I'm just at the end of the body, mind, spirit program and feel fantastic. I had a lovely room overlooking the river but also saw 3 other rooms belonging to the other guests. All of them were really nice and I would have been happy in any of them.
The main thing that stands out to me about ubud sari though is the staff. They are all very friendly, attentive and offer you a personalised experience. I found their flexibility t be remarkable as I changed my mind about many things throughout my week here an they did everything they could to accommodate me. They even accompanied me to the police station and interpreted as I needed to make a police report about my phone that was stolen on the way here!
Surprisingly you do not go hungry when you are juice fasting as there is such an amazing range of James and smoothies to choose from and you can drink these all day.
The morning sunrise walks around he rice paddies were lovely. I'm not a yoga expert but didn't really get much benefit from the yoga here. Instead I discovered the yoga barn which is amazing and I recommend anyone coming to stay to check it out sooner rather than later as you will definitely want to do a few classes there.
All in all I think it is fantastic value for money, don't come expecting it to be the ritz but it is clean, tranquil, in beautiful setting and has so many repeat visitors I think that speaks for itself!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Nikki77Sydney
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Mind you all these were being done through an Australian Agent hence even bigger disappointment.

1. they werent even clear on the services the offered. What they told us and what was on the website was totally not in sync.

2. when making payment they gave us a wrong account. BSB no. and bank account number they mixed up. we had to pay bank charges and forex difference and they didn't offer to refund until we ask them too.

3. WRONG Currency account given. We told them we were going to pay in AUD and the gave us a USD account to pay to. $$ didn't go through and u know what i was told by the Sales manager i liaised with? she said yes it should go through and didn't bother checking with the bank on her side.

even before getting there, we were soooo fruatrated. i honestly wonder how it would be like while there!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends