“Mango & Dragonfruit smoothie is best in town!”

The Elephant Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #79 of 861 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open all day every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the elephant serves earth friendly food and drinks that are delicious and healthy and created with an eye towards sustainability. As an accredited member of the slow food movement we use organic, local and ethical produce to create vegetarian and vegan food of the highest quality. As well as the food, come and enjoy the tranquil environment of our open air restaurant overlooking picturesque campuhan ridge and the ricefields and rivers below. We make great cocktails and antipasti to enjoy at the end of a long day sightseeing or healthy breakfasts and lunches to fuel you up. At night our candle lit colonial decor and dj-curated playlists give the bar and restaurant a romantic vibe. Western standards or cooking, service, hygiene and style, but in a relaxed and friendly environment with charming Balinese staff
Reviewed 1 February 2017

Great staff, great food at average price for Ubud area. Their mango / dragon fruit smoothie is a must try if you visit this place. The view is quite exceptional too!

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

My daughter and i had the snti pasto plate to share and i had the pad thai and she had the fettuccine fungi.
Outstanding! !!!!!!

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

After coming here many times it still surprises me thar they serve stone dry and hard toast they insist on calling fresh. Not to mention they are becoming famous for NEVER having their gf bread. "Sorry we dobt have it now" = "we never have it it is just there to look fancy"

Reviewed 27 January 2017

I loved eating here, try the laksa its amazing! Really chilled out spot to come to in the evening for some great food. Would come again in a heart beat!

Reviewed 24 January 2017

The Elephant is a vegetarian restaurant, but I'm not a vegetarian.

The Food
Where to begin. The food overall is of a very high standard. I have tried nearly all the dishes on the menu and the only dish I thought that was not superb is perhaps the Vietnamese salad starter. Everything else is simply perfect. Perfect quantities, fresh ingredients, the food feels like whoever is preparing it genuinely cares about the quality, and a wide enough selection to make the menu feel fresh every time you visit.
The first time i went there I had Chef Wayans Fungi Linguini, which was a creamy dream pasta cooked to perfection. I was hooked. This stayed my favorite meal for a few visits until I tried the Gnocchi and sage butter. It's a little rich but incredibly delicate and satisfying. Currently, the pumpkin soup is my go to. If I had to criticise the food, which would only be fair, is that it often lacks salt (which some people prefer) and if you order any extras in your salad the amount they give is a little skimpy. For example, if you order extra avocado, they will add for wafer thin slices to the top. Again, some people like that, but I can eat an avocado in a matter of seconds, so maybe I'm at fault, hahah.

The ingredients, as far as I know, are all organic and locally sourced and it shows (or tastes). The food feels like real food. It fills you up and you feel like you've had an experience, not just satisfied one of Maslow's needs. It feels healthy and wholesome and that is essentially why I keep going back. Pair the food with some kombucha, and you walk out feeling like you've become a stronger person.

Also, each and every one of the vegan/vegetarian desserts are worth trying - with the chocolate pie and mango cake taking a joint gold.

The Atmosphere
A great microcosm of what ubud has to offer. Wonderful Bali-eclectic design with some antique pieces. Minimal, colorful flower arrangements on the tables. A great view of the forested far-off. Wooden shutters and a high stuccoed ceiling all open on 180 degrees of fresh Bali air. Warm lighting at night and generous, interesting music. No classics or trite, rehashed "traditional" stuff, simply easy electro with an exclusively non-commercial twist.

The service
Friendly, attentive, easy-going and warm. The truth is, you hardly notice the staff, which I suppose is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you are. They take orders and bring drinks and food with such easy and skill that it all feels like an organic experience.

This has definitely become my favorite restaurant in Bali, and that puts it in competition with being my favorite restaurant in the world.