“Rice paddy views, Friendly people”

Biyukukung Suites and Spa
Ranked #103 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 30 June 2012

The place was recommended to me, from the resort I staying at previously. I got the impression when I first arrived that they didn't have my booking, since there was a lot of talking in their local dialect and phone calls, but it was sorted, since I got upgraded from the room I had initially booked since it was not available, thus my belief that they didn't have my booking.
That being said, I also experienced the standard rooms the superior/delux, and the additional cost is not worth it. My suggestion is take the std since the only difference appears to be having Bath or not,but both have showers.
This is a very photo friendly place, with the small infinity pool overlooking the rice paddies, as well as each of the rooms/ villasoverlooking the rice paddies as well.
The day beds outside allows you to lounge back and enjoy the views. The breakfast terrace allows you to do this also.
The only pity, with the views is the massive amount of construction happening around it, which leads me to believe that in the future the views will not be as great!
The room/villa, is double story with ground floor being bathroom, and hanging cupboards whilst upstairs is your bedroom. The rooms are clean, however there is a lot of damp and mold/mildew in the bathrooms. The bathrooms look like they need to be renovated, but they are clean and everything works well.
There is a pool at the bottom of the complex, but I can't comment since I didn't go down there.
Breakfast was great. They make amazing nasi goreng, the best I have tasted and also good pancakes.
Everyone is super friendly and helpful. And they have a shuttle to drop you off and fetch you from town which is a great benefit. You are also in walking distance to monkey forest and even Ubud palace.
The accommodation is good, the only criticism is that the price/cost is too much for what it is/provides, but if you are battling to find accommodation, then this is a consideration.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 June 2012

One of my friends recommended the hotel, and I was not disappointed. I had one of the two-storey bungalows, with a huge bathroom plus tub on the ground floor, and a bedroom upstairs with floor-to-ceiling window overlooking a paddy field. Too bad the The bed had a canopy that I wish wasn't there, because as much as I like the idea of having a canopied bed, I hate the dust it gathers.

There's also a private patio overlooking the paddy field, which would have been glorious if the field hadn't just been harvested. It was really our bad luck - we had front-row seats to muddy pools of "resting" rice fields.

My sister and her husband stayed in the suite, which had a private entrance, a private bale (Balinese-style hut for relaxation). The room was large, with an attached bathroom with jacuzzi (which had cobwebs in it).

The swimming pool was really nice too, an infinity pool overlooking the paddy field. It also has a jacuzzi. There's another pool at the bottom of the hill (the property is on a hillside), but I didn't check it out.

The location was excellent, within a walking distance to Bebek Bengil (the famous "Dirty Duck" diner). It's also not far from Monkey Forest Road and some shops.

The only problem with the property was the parking, which was minuscule. If you drive, you better be really good at parking and manouvreing in and out of a tiny space. Or better still, get a driver.

Room Tip: Ask for a two-storey bungalow closer to reception.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed in the smallest suite there, which was a small villa, bathroom on the first floor (nice strong shower but very small). Bedroom on the second floor was cute, with a small balcony with the rice field view. You can also choose to sit on a porch downstairs which has a nice daybed designed for sunset drinks.

Unfortunately that the million dollar rice field view is now depreciating with constructions here and there. In addition that the bathroom is very small and doesn't seem to ever dry, plus the (only) air conditioner in the bedroom is not that great, we feel that 70USD per night (agoda.com) is a little too much.

However, staffs were quite helpful and friendly. There were no buffet for breakfast but you may choose your breakfast set from the menu, both local and international breakfast are available.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

On our last visits to Ubud we visited a well-known spa. This time unfortunately building works next door forced us to look for an alternative. Our driver suggested Biyukukung Spa. We were picked up (and delivered home afterwards) which was great. The service from the masseuses was good although very little English was spoken. There was no inquiry from management about our needs or massage history. There was no explanation of the products or the procedures- pretty disappointing when you're paying over $US100 each (for 4 hours). The Spa is not all that clean and pretty shabby. Ubud has some upmarket spas and I believe that when you pay good money, you are entitled to something special. This is not one of those places.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We recently stayed at this resort and absolutely loved it. Very picturesque, rice fields off our patio with all the buildings nicely landscaped, very pleasing and nicely modern inside our suite. There was a lovely pool outside our room which we swam in every afternoon after a day in Ubud. The staff is super friendly and always ready to help. When we wanted to see some high quality carvings they knew right where to go for the best ones and took us there. They provide a shuttle service wherever you need to go. Had an excellent massage at the spa as well. We would definitely return there again.

Room Tip: If you like the sound of running water ask for the rooms down at the bottom of the hill. There is a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family