All reviews maharani suite infinity pool karsa spa beautiful jungle central ubud jungle fish this place is amazing rice fields balinese coffee private terrace outdoor bathroom banana pancakes welcome drink monkey forest taxi path driver
Reviewed 1 October 2017

Cute little place but staff are lacking hospitality. There is about 6 young adults that work there and they don't really know what they're doing nor do they speak much English. When we ordered lunch one day that were yelling and laughing in the kitchen and took about 30 minutes to make us some fries. Seemed pretty immature but that could just be the culture. Our shower towels were stained so we asked for new ones and were given some new stained ones. Bed sheets were clean though thank god. Great location. Beautiful 30 minute walk in Ubud. Awesome pool as well. Good for a couple of nights stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Very cosy and nice b&b in Ubud. Views of the forest are amazing ! Very friendly staff !!! Price / quality super !!! Breakfast basic but very fresh and tasty ! Try the maharajan suite, very spacious and the best views of the premises. X

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have been travelling for just over a month now. He booked this place as a surprise for me for my birthday for 2 nights. When we arrived it took a bit of guessing as to where we were supposed to go but when we finally found a staff member we were checked in. We were told our room wasn't quite ready yet so they sorted us a motorbike and we went out for a bit. When we arrived back our bags had been put in our room and the staff had decorated the room with flowers for my birthday which was a lovely touch thankyou!!

The following day was my birthday, we woke for breakfast (which they say doesn't start til 8am but people were eating at 7:30) the menu is limited but it's filling and okay. We went out for the morning and returned to chill by the pool.

This is my biggest warning ever... we were messing about in the pool and as the view is so good we decided to take some pictures. My boyfriend stood on the edge of the pool to get a picture (lovely picture by the way) and he slipped from the edge down into the jungle. As he fell he sliced open his side on the concrete and then proceeded to fall about 15m grabbing on to a tree to stop himself potentially falling the 100ft to the river. There was no one around and no one came to help or saw the accident but luckily he was still alive and he managed to pull himself back to the top. He had hit his head and needed medical help immediately so I sat him outside our room (which overlooked the pool) and tried to find the staff. This was difficult, none of them really understood what I was saying so I had to take them to him so they could understand, after this they were so helpful providing me with first aid bits and they called a friend to come and take us to the hospital.

The next day the manager came and spoke to us telling us that there used to be a safety net under the pool but it was removed due to guests saying it ruined their pictures. Well I'm hoping for everyone else's sake that they put one back in as had he had fallen any further he probably would've died.

Apart from this incident the stay was enjoyable!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elliejsimpson
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Sunset Hill

Grounds and Amenities:
Sunset Hill's external grounds are absolutely beautiful. The architecture and landscape is absolutely perfect. The infinity pool is definitely the selling point. Unfortunately, there were not many amenities at this location. The room has the bare minimum so ensure that you bring everything you need. I had to even make a "Do Not Disturb" sign because my room had none.

Restaurant:
I only ate breakfast here and it was pretty good. I expected a little bit more variety than what I received but truthfully it was no big deal.

Staff:
The staff were very young and looked like teenagers. When I arrived at around 6pm, there was no one anywhere in sight so I ended up standing at the front gate for 20 mins or so until someone showed up on a motorbike and escorted me to the restaurant to check it. It was a little unorthodox. The system used to check me in was an excel sheet of paper with everyone's name on it. The staff seemed very confused during my check-in and didn't speak very good English so it was difficult to communicate with them. There was a sign posted in the restaurant about activities available and Sunrise Trekking was one of them. I inquired about it to multiple staff members and no one could assist me with setting it up. It was frustrating so I scratched it off my list. All in all, the staff are extremely pleasant and will always greet you with a friendly smile. That was enough for me to disregard any frustration that I was experiencing.

Location:
I liked and appreciated the location although it took quite some time for us to arrive there. There is an amazing walking pathway that takes you to tons of restaurants, museums, markets, banks, and clothing stores. The walk is about 15 mins and is very scenic. Because the hotel is at the top of the mountain it takes you longer to get a taxi to take you anywhere rather than just walking.

Overall:
I enjoyed the hotel. It was a peaceful and easy stay. I'd stay here again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We booked this through Air BNB and were advised that Sunset Hill is not a hotel and does not provide full hotel services. We knew this before booking but if you book through Booking.com be aware!

Firstly the place is beautiful. It's in an amazing location with the best views from the pool. It's only a 15/20 minute walk on the ridgeway into UBud centre which is really nice in the morning/sunset before dark.

The only problem we had was the service (even though we knew it wasn't a hotel, it was listed as still proving basic services). The villa owner had returned home and communication in her absence was difficult. They had a manager on site some days and when he wasn't there it was difficult to get basic things such as a spoon, milk etc. when having breakfast. When we were leaving we wanted to pay our food bills & return the key which again proved difficult.

The rooms were nice but ours was dirty and had stains (blood) on the sheets. It could also do with some TLC!

If you are looking for peace and quiet this really is the place. Perhaps we were unlucky with our stay here....

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple