“Homestay with lovely balinese family”
Review of Jangkrik Homestay

Jangkrik Homestay
Ranked #101 of 653 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2015

I stayed at Jangkrik for about two weeks when I was in Ubud. The family made me feel very welcome and helped out with everything I needed. The rooms are clean and light, very simple, but also super comfortable. The breakfast they serve is perfect to start the day.

Room Tip: On the upper floor the rooms have balconies where you can see the sunset.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Any L

Reviewed 22 February 2015

Stayed here for 4 nights in February, wasn't long enough! Three very happy 18 year old girls. The rooms are usually doubles but the family were happy to put in an extra bed for just £5 for the whole stay. Had a delicious and substantial breakfast in the beautiful sitting area every morning. Felt very at home and had enough own privacy and time. Their own driver took us for a day out to see the local temples and holy springs for a low cost - and he's lovely! The family are so nice, we love Nitha! Great location and very Balinese. Would definitely recommend and definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2015
2  Thank Bridieotoole
Jangkrik U, Owner at Jangkrik Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2015

Dear Guest,

Hallo,
Thank You for your review and enjoy to stay in my place.
i hope you next time will coming back to stay in my place again and we can make fun again.
i will allways remmeber you all girls.

Thank You! :)

Reviewed 22 February 2015

Had a lovely stay here. the staff were lovely and helpful, the rooms were clean and the homestay was well located on the main road in ubud, 100m from shops and ATMs but set back from the road so no traffic noise. They organised our transfer from the airport and arranged our boats to the gili Islands. The driver also took us on a day tour to some of the sites around Ubud, all at a low cost. The breakfast was delicious also. Homestay is perfect for lone travellers, small groups and couples. Would 100% recommend

• Stayed: February 2015
3  Thank r0sag00dman
Reviewed 28 January 2015

First time in Bali and it was also our first accommodation there. We love the place very much and wasn't disappoint at all, the family is very friendly and kind and they are also very nice to speak to. The breakfasts prepared by Kadek are also very delicious, especially the banana pancake! The room and toilet are very comfortable and clean. There are also a yoga place and a supermkt near the homestay. The family own 2 shops just right outside the homestay, so try to make friends with the host and the daughter as you might be able to enjoy some discount ;D. I also advise you to book activities (e.g. water rafting, mountain climbing etc) through the homestay as it offers a cheaper rate. There are many restaurants, money changers and shopping area located near the homestay as well. If you love dogs and cats, I would suggest that you stay at the first floor as this will allow you to interact with them more often!

I highly recommend staying at Jangkrik Homestay during your stay in Ubud as the family there are really nice and they make you feel at home!

Room Tip: -Even without A/C, the room is very cooling at night and the fan is quite strong -It is less noisy...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank ericzzz3
Reviewed 9 December 2014

For budget accommodations, I highly recommend this excellent homestay if you want to stay in central Ubud. I stayed many weeks here during high season, my home base between other travels around Bali. This is a wonderful family and always made me feel at home. I watched them deal with some difficult situations and got to see their consistent honesty and generosity firsthand. The room is simple and adequate, typical for good Ubud rooms. I stayed elsewhere several times and always was happy to get back to Jangkrik. The building is more beautiful and their is more feeling of home most of the others I stayed at. The room is on the main Ubud Road, very close to the main super market, monkey forest, and many healthy eateries. Ketuk or her daughter will prepare a simple breakfast for you every morning. Any time I needed a taxi service to another town, or to rent a motorbike, a boat ticket, or to reserve a room for when I would leave and return, Ketuk would sort it out immediately and find you an honest provider at the best price in town. Always ask her before going around town, you will save a lot of time.

There are some slight downsides, which will be true for probably any accommodations at this price especially in the central area. The internet is slow, and occasionally you will have to reset the router. However I found it to be this way everywhere around Bali, including Ubud, with rare exceptions. It is manageable for making bookings and looking up things, but don't rely on it for Skype video to always work well, and sometimes you may be without internet. Get a sim card for your smartphone and tether it as backup if you really need it.

The water pressure sometimes is low, and sometimes the hot water is off during midday, but they are conserving power from running the heater and you can ask them to turn it on. I only had this happen once or twice in several months of living here.

The location is located centrally between Yoga Barn and Radiantly Alive Yoga, and many of the people I met here were in the area for those yoga studios.

The compound can be a bit loud with children during the day sometimes. That is the only reason I gave a 4 instead of 5 for sleeping. If you don't want to sleep half the day like me you should be fine. Every other compound I visited when friends stayed at other compounds always had something loud too, either children, construction, or roosters. I don't think there are many or any totally quiet places in central Ubud.

There was a problem with their tripadvisor account when I was there, and sometimes people would make a booking even when the place was full. They were trying to work it out with Tripadvisor, and I even tried to help but we couldn't figure it out. Sometimes people made a booking but she had to turn them away. Usually she knew another available homestay to recommend when this happened. This usually only was a problem for people who booked on their smartphones 5 minutes before walking in expecting a room. If you book in advance you should be okay. Hopefully it is worked out already but you may want to call to be sure.

I appreciated getting to know Made, Ketuk, and their children, and would hope to see them again next time I am in Ubud.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed in almost every room. They are all about the same. Check the water pressure. Some are st...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo