“Authentic, warm, cultural and personally...”
other travellers have booked this property
Swallow Guesthouse entrance for 3 suites Swallow Guesthouse shared pool
Swallow Guesthouse shared pool
SUNSET Suite
View of pool from Upstairs bedroom SUNSET Suite
Terrace view for SUNSET Suite
Surrounded by rice fields and sunshine!
Wayan, your hosts, welcomes you to Swallow Guesthouse
Private terrace for SUNSET Suite with pool view
Dining area for SUNSET Suite
Entrance way past SUNRISE Suite
Entrance to Sunset Suite
Room #1 of SUNSET Suite downstairs with queen bed and storage area
Writing desk made from rattan and coconut wood
Sunset front hallway with books to read. Bathroom at bottom of stairs.
Stair view to bathroom
View of hallway from stairs to upstairs deluxe open room
Writing desk for upstairs SUNSET Suite bedroom
Queen bed and single bed in large open space
Hand-made furniture supports local craft makers
Sundeck for reading or massage!
Large folding doors, keep open at night for surround breeze.  No worries about mosquitoes!
Nyoman the masseuse
Single bed for child or spare lounging area
View from single bed
Hand carved wooden doors in bathroom entrance
Hand made with care and love at Swallow Guesthouse in the REAL Karma Bali
Character fixtures
Eating area and outdoor relaxation seats 6-8 people
View of Sunset Suite from shared pool
Two story, two bedroom, support.deck and eating patio. Shared pool and kitchen. Meals & Van availabl
Pathway between Sunrise and Sunset Suites
Kitchen tea and coffee
Gourmet meals prepared  by Putri
Mt. Agung view to the north
Your hosts, Putri and Wayan...6 years ago! we have enjoyed hundreds of guests since 2009!
View on rice field walk.  Many paths to choose from.
Your hosts Wayan and Putri will guide you to ceremony at temple
Ganesha welcomes you at entrance to Swallow Guesthouse
Your Welcome Home Drink!
Map to Swallowhouse.  Follow the signs to Villa Ubud or use Google Maps.
Village organic project
Local smiles
Watching the Orangic Ducks in the rice fields
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Valda H
Calgary, Canada
“Authentic, warm, cultural and personally meaningful.”
Reviewed 10 October 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

Wayan and Putri provide a welcoming, home environment. The building and gardens surrounded by the ever-present and changing life of the rice fields are at once engaging and peaceful. The space is immaculate. The food, authentic and wholesome, is organically fresh and lovingly served. Each meal is like a work of art and is delicious. Dedicated to providing an experience of 'real Bali', Wayan and Putri included us in cultural experiences of awesome beauty that inspired reverence and sense of unity. My sister and I felt safe and cared for while enjoying one of the most memorable and positive travel experiences I can remember.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The personal care.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
14 Nov 2015
Thank you Valda for your kindness. I will pass your heart to Wayan and Putri. We are truley blessed to be able to experience such a rich culture with them.
Best regards and perhaps we will meet up with you on your next voyage to Bali,
Suzan
Janice C
Swan Hills, Canada
“Wow, this is the real Bali!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

What a beautiful place. A traditional Balinese building, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The Guesthouse is surrounded by rice fields and other organic crops which are still farmed by the families of the local village.
Suzan, the owner was there and she was so welcoming. She took me for a walking tour of the farm and we stopped and chatted to so many locals, had a go at planting rice, visited the fish farm and then headed for a longer walk along the channels and into beautiful bushland.
She also included me in her birthday celebrations which included going to a temple at night under the full moon, followed by a magnificent Balinese feast prepared by Putri and Putuh. Amazing!
A day trip into Ubud for a bit of shopping and some spa treatments was good, but it was lovely to return to the tranquillity of the Swallow.
A lazy afternoon in the upstairs open room in the hammock, reading and watching the workers in the fields and listening to the birds.....and having a snooze.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Ken I
Cheongju, South Korea
“Peace and Tranquility”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

I spent a total of 21/2 weeks in Bali using Swallow House as my home base. It really is a unique experience of Bali rural life that a tourist doesn't ordinarily see. The visitor can see scenes of daily village life and meet with incredibly friendly villagers: tending rice paddies, caring for farm animals, maintaining family shrines, village temples, and incredibly beautiful national temples. People make offerings to ancestors and local deities with their many makeshift offerings and shrines. You can witness the visible expression of a deeply felt Buddhist/Hindu religion.
The stillness and starry nightlife is very peaceful. The mating songs of the bullfrogs is the only sound breaking the evening quiet.
The food is delicious and Suzan, the owner, is extremely friendly, and knowledgeable about Balinese customs, history, and lifestyle.

Travelling group: Solo
PerthSuzi...
“Wonderful & soulful stay in the Ancient Kingdom with our Bali family”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

If I only had 1 word to describe our stay in Swallow Guesthouse it would be, WONDERFUL... However, I have more like, HEART, SOUL, TRADITIONAL, PEACEFUL, INTERESTING, BEAUTIFUL and DELICIOUS...
My 77yr old Mother who broke her arm 6mths ago and is still healing, my older Sister and I stayed here for 7 days and wished we stayed longer.
Swallow Guesthouse is owned by Suzan who we met very briefly during our stay, she seemed like a lovely lady and maybe next time we will share a meal together...
The house is managed by husband & wife, Wayan & Putri and you couldn't ask for more wonderful hosts, we are in love with them, they feel like family in just 1 week...
Wayan is so kind, helpful and knowledgeable, he likes to have a good laugh and is fun to be around, he knows a lot about Bali and it's sites you intend to visit so you feel as though you have a tour guide and a great driver in 1, we really loved his energy and his smile and laugh is infectious.
Putri, what can I say... There is nowhere near enough positive words to describe this most beautiful lady inside and out... Not only is she the most amazing cook (the food is out of this world, organic, fresh & tasty), she has the kindest most peaceful presence, nothing was ever an issue, my Mother stayed alone at the house 2 days out of our 7 and Putri stayed with her the whole time and looked after her. I think Putri reminded her of my sister who passed away in 2012 so my Mum developed a bond with Putri and was sad to leave.
My Mother also has diabetes and the day we had booked to go to Marine & Safari Park her diabetes was playing up so my Sister & I took Wayan & Putri's daughter Tiaree who was 16 along with us. We have never seen such excitement in a teenager before, good mannered and the same infectious smile as her father, she could of had anything she wanted for lunch however all she wanted was Cheesy Pizza & Coca Cola, which brought the biggest smile you will have ever seen to her face. We had the most fabulous day and I am sure Tiaree will still talking about our day together for some time to come...
Last, but not least, your Security... Tina the beautiful Bali House Dog, she is so friendly and she was protective of us and the house during our stay, she loved our Mum, I think she could feel she was an older lady and a little frail so Tina was either laying by her door if she was sleeping or sitting with her when she was relaxing, a real sweetheart...
Then there is Made, a local man that Wayan & Putri have employed to help with the upkeep of the beautiful gardens and as security, you will find Made checking around the house 1 to 2 times a day, he is friendly and has a quiet energy which makes you feel safe, he does not speak English but sign language can be interesting.
The village people of Pejeng were friendly albeit could not speak much English but this is no issue as your hosts will assist you with communications if necessary and gives you the opportunity to practice your Balinese as well (Salamat Pagi)...
All in all I have been to Bali so many times and yes this property does not have the resort or the Villa amenities like a pool & room service, however it has SOUL & gives you a real Bali experience surrounded by beautiful, real people... I will be calling this place home again next year for sure...

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Management Response
26 Apr 2014
What a lovely, and very descriptive reflection of your family times while staying at Swallow Guesthouse. Terima kasih sukali. I will certainly pass this onto all of them. You are more than welcome to come home any time.
Thanks for letting me know about Tina, she does belong to two kind brothers in the village, but she feels a sense, as you mentioned, to protect our guests. and their moms ;) We do encourage not to feed but many can't resist her smiles.
Safe journey back home and yes I hope to share a dinner or two next time. Thanks.
Om Swasti astu,
Suzan and Swallowhouse hosts
zee1959
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

What an amazing, peaceful home. Wayan and Putri were awesome hosts. Wayan our driver and tour guide and Putri, 5 star culinary skills.
I would recommend Swallow House to anyone who truly wants to 'get away from it all'
and who want to experience 'the real Bali away from tourist mecca'
Hope to see you both again one day
Paulette and Eileen

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: lying in bed listening to music from the temple
Liked least: can't think of anything I didn't like
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing