Open today: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm

Book in advance
from
AU$79.34
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Lobong Culinary Experience
from AU$79.34
More Info
All reviews family compound local market cooking class balinese culture local ingredients highlight of our trip balinese home bali trip dishes indonesia
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 January 2019 via mobile

This is my first vacation cooking class. I give Lebong 5 stars! English was very good. Great cultural experience. It was a seamless operation. I loved going to a local market. My 12 yo had a great time! Food was delicious. I’ve always wanted to learn how to make peanut sauce. I highly recommend this class

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed 29 December 2018 via mobile

This is the best cooking class experience that I've ever attended. Sang Made was very helpful and detailed with his explanation. We learned more than just cooking, we learned about Balinese culture, Balinese spices and more of how the local Balinese people lives.

The tour starts at the local market (the non-touristy type of market) where the local buys their produce for their home cooking. We then head back to the home of Lobong Culinary and learned about the experience from Sang Made.

Too bad I can only give this experience 5 stars, I would've given it 8 stars out of 8 if needed.

Keep up the great work Sang Made!

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed 9 December 2018

I don't know what to say that hasn't been stated by others. Like other reviewers, I've taken cooking classes all over the world. This is my favorite. I won't repeat what others said only to emphasize that you will not struggle a bit to understand their English. Also, I don't think it was a fluke that the group of us, eight I think, enjoyed each other's company. I think it's a mixture of the hosts, the cook, and the fact that people taking the tour are also interested in the Balinese culture, not just the food. Do not miss this.

2  Thank engphile
Reviewed 24 November 2018 via mobile

This is hands down one of the best excursions I’ve done in all my travels. Starting with a market tour, we explored a local market far from the tourist areas where we learned about daily life and local ingredients. Arriving at the family property we learned about how Balinese traditional properties are organized, had a welcome tea and snack and then began cooking. We learned about techniques, ingredients and recipes. We chopped, stirred and cooked the entire meal under the supervision and assistance of the family. Before sitting down to eat the meal, we took part in a traditional offering ceremony in the family temple donning traditional sarong.

If you like to cook, eat or just want to learn about daily life behind the walls of a family property, then this is the tour for you

1  Thank Aimee E
Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

You are met at the local market (note: not tourist market) by your host and are taken through the stalls stopping at some of the local delicacies, including some of which you will use in your cooking.

You then head back to their stunning family compound, which will host your class, and are offered refreshments. Here, your host will chat to you about typical life in Bali.

Then onto the cooking in the covered outside kitchen. The chef greets you with a big smile and quickly gets onto showing you your raw ingredients. The next hour or so you'll be shown how to cook a delicious traditional meal from scratch. I'm not a lover of cooking but enjoyed every minute. We were in a group of 8 with 3 being vegan and 2 requesting no spice and the hosts were very accommodating to our needs.

Later, you sit down in your group to eat your meal with your selection of refreshments amongst the birdsong and luscious grounds.

Overall, I would highly recommend cooking with this beautiful family in their beautiful home in Ubud.

1  Thank G8483YXadamt