“more value than the 4 star hotels”
Review of Kumala Hotel

Kumala Hotel
Ranked #160 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 13 January 2012

have been to Bali more than 10 times and have mostly stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts but we met up with some friends who go to Bali every year and only stay at the Kumala Hotel so in November we thought we would give it a go and just couldn't believe how cheap it was and how friendly and helpful all the staff and guests were. We returned again in December and went straight back to the Kumala, for $30 a night we had the Superior room with breakfast included and a few minutes away from Legian beach. In bali whether you stay in a 4 star hotel or a 2 star hotel you get the same service so why should I spent all my money on accommodation when I now have more money to spend on myself so from now on Kumala Hotel here we come.

Room Tip: Room 107 large room with acc and fridge classed as superior
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Daphne T

Reviewed 12 September 2011

A hidden gem! Best described as situated on the Legian - Seminyak border, this hotel exceeded all expectations. Wonderful staff, wonderful atmosphere and all in all a pleasure to stay at. Is situated in a quiet place around 3 minutes walk to the main beach strip and around 20 minutes to the main shopping district of Kuta by foot. It was great to enter the hustle and bustle when we felt the need but quiet times at The Kumala hotel were also looked forward to. The staff there were extremely friendly and the lovely gardens were instrumental in the helping you feel relaxed and on holiday. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for those looking for an extremely well priced, well managed and comfortable stay away from the rat race, but certainly not too far from the action. I will certainly be back, Thanks to all everyone at The Kumala!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank RicketyLim
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a review of hotel Grand Kumala NOT Kumala Pantai.
The location is for me perfect! It's 2 minutes from double six, nearby the beach (5 minute walking) and surfschool (for first-time surfer, this is fantastic). Plenty of shops and laundry around. Lots of food and restaurants (try Warung murah for its desert & juice; the food is not fantastic. For a real budget travellers: try Padang food (Saleko) at the end of double-six: passing the cross and the supermarkt. For $ 1.5 you get really good, plenty, original Indonesian meal).

The staffs are in general friendly, but could be more at the reception. I was asking for a cab because we had an early flight but they were not really helpful about the inside information. It turned out that you can just grab a taxi from the street even at 4.00 o'clock in the morning. I would expect the reception would advise me to do this.

When I made a reservation, it was said that we would get two rooms next top eacht other (I travel with my dad, also). It turned out not the case, which is a bit dissaponted. One room is number 113 (which I liked so much, not being a fussy traveller). The other room is number 104, which is next to site of a construction project. We were warned, which I appreciate, that this room could be noisy and got a discount for it. Luckily, the construction thing was not that bad.

The swimmingpool is lovely (I used the one in front). Enough sun and shade and good place to read (quiet). The breakfast was good enough (better than three brothers, which is after one night I fled to Grand Kumala) and the restaurant site in the back of the garden is very nice. We were quite satisfied with this.

My partner found the hotel can be more clean, especially the bathroom. But it did not bother me. It was clean enough for me and it was a good budget hotel.

I had a good time and I would certainly come back!

Liked: location, garden, breakfast, the pool
Disliked: staff at the reception

Room Tip: Choose rooms in front (number 108-113). Beware (and ask) for contructions projects around.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Civetfan
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Our second stay here, booked the 2 deluxe rooms second floor facing the back pool, didn't get the interconnecting this time but not a problem. One room had been revamped, painted and new light fittings, the other in need of some fresh paint. The bathrooms are ok and could you a bottle of bleach but the water pressure is good and the water hot.
Location is fantastic, son could walk the 200 meters down to the beach via the lane, daughter could wander and shop.
We never have breaky here , prefer to get something decent and enjoy the beach. The pool could do with a cleaner, the rim of the pools over the years is getting pretty funky.
Staff very friendly, they just need to get management/owner to spend a little on cleaning and upgrading linen occasionally.
Didn't hear the construction on our side

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank gus1233
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Amazing hotel! Cool staffs! Ask for a room in front of the pool near the entrance.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ma_longpre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
0.2 km away
Hotel Terrace At Kuta
#14 of 252 in Kuta
1.0 km away
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites

Been to Kumala Hotel? Share your experiences!