“Great hotel, great price”

Febri's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at Febri's. Booked this hotel, based on reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. Great location and reasonably priced. Breakfast was tasty and had a great choice. All staff were friendly and helpful, always cheerful and happy. My daughter loved the different towel animals, and we were even showed how to make a simple elephant. The large fridge in the room came in very handy. We would be more than happy to stay at Febri's again. The only downfall is the lack of security - anyone can walk in off the street, smile at reception and get access to the rest of the hotel. Also, the day spa is a great asset as well. Even though more expensive than ones on the street, the comparison between professionally trained etc, is second to none.

Room Tip: If staying in a Superior room with children, ask for a second / third floor room. My 2 year old cou...

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We have just got back from Bali where we stayed at the Febris Hotel (20-26 June 2012). We went for my parents 40th wedding anniversary so there was 10 of us all together in 3 rooms.

Before I had my son (15 months) we went to Bali once sometimes twice a year with our daughter (6yrs) and I can't believe we never came across this hotel. It was brilliant, I am very fussy when it comes to the hotel and this by far passed all my concerns. We had a family deluxe room which was spacious, very clean and even had an empty fridge which was great as you could put all your own items in there. They had a kettle, Australian plug chargers, hairdryer - everything you need for a holiday and I was well impressed. We came home every day to find the towels on our bed made out of animals which the children loved and on my parents wedding anniversary they had flowers on the bed with the towels made out of love swans and a note from the staff it was just beautiful. The breakfast was fresh with variety and the coffee was delicious - we just couldn't fault it. And if you have been to Bali before you would know alot of hotels don't have a lift which is a pain with children but this one did - it was brilliant!

The only downfall I must admit is the noise from the construction during the day but we did know about this before we booked the hotel and in the end it worked to our advantage as our son likes to sleep with noise so it was fine but if your a "child" free family you may get slightly annoyed if you want a sleep in.

The location was great, close to restaurants, the discovery mall, markets and Matahari so we could walk everywhere. The little beauty place across the road and upstairs called M & M was fantastic, good prices and also did laundry so what a bonus! My husband went to the Febris Spa and had a massage and said it was very good and my sister had other treatments done there which she was very happy about.

Overall we will definately be staying there again.
Thanks febris, we had a wonderful time!

Room Tip: We stayed at the back of the hotel but will request to have a room on the bottom level near the pool...
1  Thank Edwina T
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I have only rated this hotel as average but it could so easily get a better than average review. There were a number of great features but it is let down in a small number of areas. First the good points. We stayed for 7 nights in late May and would most likely stay again.

1 The rooms are great value especially if you get a ground floor room in the front of the hotel. The rooms are reasonable in price and have a great location close to the pool and dining etc. I did not experience any first or second floor rooms but they would have been nowhere near as good.
2 Breakfast was all that we needed and the other meals in the restuerant good value.
3 Towel work is quaint, and the room facilities are adequate.
4 As mentioned in other reviews the position is great with a 5000rp taxi fare taking you to Kuta square and other close by destinations.
5 Pick up from the airport was apparently not possible but we did get free transport back to the airport. Reception is not 24/7 as we arrived late we were checked in by the security which was OK.

Not so good points.
1 Security nonexistant. Anyone could walk off the street past the reception area into the hotel without any security.
2 Pool colder than I would have expected and way to highly chlorinated. Regardless of the time of day that you were in the pool the amount of chlorine burnt your eyes and you could even feel it on your lips.
3 Whilst not the fault of the hotel the rooms down the back (which have their own little pool) suffered from noisy tarpaulins flapping in the wind 24/7 on the new building going up next door and occasionally had bits of building material falling.
4 Wifi was a joke. Whilst the signal strength was adequate in most areas the amount of bandwidth allotted was hopeless. I install Wi fi systems and always give at least 54mb of bandwidth. Febris had 1mb. This meant at all times internet access was impossibly slow.
5 Staff were mostly great , but the free massage given is just an excuse to sell more expensive massage packages.
6 Insect (mosquitoes etc ) control could be improved especially with the very real possibility of a bite from a denque mosquito. They did try by putting burning coils in each veranda but we still saw to many mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room in the front building of the Hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kayceesophie
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear kayceesophie of Launceston,

Many thanks for staying at Febri's recently and for your generous review with the 5 good points for the hotel. I adore you being very detailed and precise traveler with things you do.

I do apologize that there were 6 "not so good" points with your your stay with us:

1st point: security for front area of the hotel is limited to one staff only - overseeing all incoming vehicles and "suspicious" bags. Being a holiday destination, the hotel does not want our security staff to prominently stand out in the midst of our guests. After all, police officers are on stand by at every turn of the streets leading towards to the hotel.

2nd point: being a hotel with over 200 guests from various cultures, water in our swimming pools must be well chlorinated. Certainly the pool water is not as mild as spring water in river creek but the level of chlorine is maintained to the acceptable commercial hotel standard. Please note that water is always cooler in Bali from June until September. After all, water temperature at Kuta Beach is always cooler than that in our pools at all times.

3rd point: indeed, I can't do much with the building works at next door hotels although from time to time one of my management members must physically go and tell the worker coordinator to minimize the noise (especially with works after 7 pm). Somehow, with current boom of hotel development in Kuta & Legian, building noise becomes a general issue among ALL hotels within the area. Hopefully this will end by Christmas holiday.

4th point: You are correct that the hotel has 1 MB dedicated WiFi line for hotel guests. Such speed is common for 3 star hotels in Bali. If faster connection with more consistency is required, you can access internet at neighboring 5 star hotels (such as Bali Dynasty or Discovery) for a price. Please note that Febri's provides free WiFi while those hotels put a charge even for their own guests.

5th point: you always have to option for not upgrading the reflexology massage which was provided for free anyway with your stay. Many guests appreciate the more elaborated treatments for merely AUD 5. Again, you decide what is best value for your holiday.

6th point: besides burning mosquito coils on room terraces (which last from 10am to 11pm), eradication efforts against mosquitoes are applied in the public areas such as fogging every morning + spraying every 2nd evenings. We can always intensify the eradication efforts but as such would be inconvenient to general hotel guests (especially to people with asthmatic issue or small children in general).

In addition to the good points, I am glad to learn that you filled the boxes with excellent rating to the hotel's LOCATION and with very good ratings to its VALUE, ROOMS, CLEANLINESS, SERVICE and your SLEEP QUALITY in the hotel.

On behalf of all staff & management, I hope Febri's will be given another opportunity of hosting you again on your next Bali holiday.

Paulus Wibowo

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the Febris during June 2012. We booked the trip the year before. When we booked we were told that construction should be finished by the time we arrived. Six months before the holiday we received notice that it would be unlikely to be finished in time and offered a small discount which was nice.
The room was large, comfortable and basic. The bathroom was clean and big enough for a family of 4 to use. The fridge is large and comes empty so we could fill it with the things we needed too. The dresser and wardrobe were adequate. The balcony was roomy but faced the construction work so was unbearably loud from about 7.30am to 9.30pm most days.
The main pool was highly chlorinated to the point my children didn’t want to swim because it would make their skin and eyes dry and sore. We spent more time in the back pool which was only slightly better. The high buildings on each side made it cold so we would jump in and out.
Breakfast was okay. Bacon was only on offer every second day which disappointing. This was meant to be out of respect for Muslim guests. Out of the 11 days I was there I saw Muslim people twice at breakfast and one of those days was a bacon day.
The spa was great in my opinion. We had a family spa day which the kids loved. My husband and I had treatments on our own and I had a “girl’s day” with my friend that came with us also. The rooms were clean and warm and the treatments I had enjoyable. The staff were friendly and the girls I dealt with had a good level of English.
The restaurant was simple and tasty. Slightly pricey by Bali standards but eating at the hotel always is. There was a good range of dishes to suit most tastes. The drinks menu could have a little more detail as to what is in the cocktails. We ordered a few that were not to our taste because there was no description. No happy hour was drag.
Overall we had a good time at the Febris. For what we paid we got what I would expect, except for the construction works which is no fault of theirs. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. I think the Febris is a good hotel for families with teenage children. Being in south Kuta we were a short walk away from the hustle without having to deal with the usual Kuta yobbos.

2  Thank emjacu
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed 1 night in June 2012 for my last day in Bali for some reasons I have readen in Trip Advisor reviews.
The proximity to the airport, the good location in Kuta, the good breakfast and apparently the best Spa in Kuta.. And specially because the hotel was rated number 3 among all the hotels in Kuta!

The location was ok just for the close distance to the airport, the beach and the mall.. but after 2 weeks spent in Seminyak and Canggu in 2 awesome and magnificient hotels for almost the same price, Febri's hotel seemed and was! old, noisy, dirty with modest and minimalist comfort, a poor and non tasty breakfast compared to what I have been eating for breakfast in Bali during the past 2 weeks!! located near the reception and directly next to the main road, absolutely not a peacefull moment..

The worse experience ever was the Spa!!! I wanted to do a hair treatment and a blowdry just before taking my plane on the way back to home. At the Spa counter near the reception, they assured me that the hair treatment was natural and nourishing for my hair and if I wanted to do a blow dry I have to pay more because it wasn't included in the price of the hair treatment even if it was mentionned on the menu list... Before this creambath I had really beautifull and long hair, the hairdresser (a man) and the staff whom can barely speak a good english, told me: "Blow dry easy! Easy to do!"
So this is what happened on saturday June 9th in the morning just before my departure frome Bali: I did the hair creambath during 45 minutes (that was my 3rd creambath and hair treatment in Bali during these 2 weeks, the first 2 hair treatments done in Canggu and Seminyak were really good) and the hairdresser came to do my blow dry. I asked for straighten hair, as my hair are naturally a bit wavy, he repeated it was easy to do (of course who cannot perform a Normal blow dry specially when he is a professional?!)
Before starting the blow dry he rubbed a lotion on my scalp so vigorously during 1 or 2 minutes then that was the start of my nightmare. During more than half an hour he did the worse blow dry ever, he burned my blond hair, I stopped him before the end because it was a disaster! My hair were all stuck and no more smooth and soft, when I stood up I saw a lot of my hair on the floor but I had to run because I had a plane to catch. So back to my room I tried to fix my hair the best I could, I applied some organic ointment to renourish my hair because it was so dry. I really hated the result, and at the moment I just noticed that he damaged my hair condition.

So after a 24 hours flight and back at home and after my first shampoo I FINALLY LOST MORE THAN HALF OF MY HAIR!!!! Most of my hair loss came from the top of my scalp (presently I am almost bold..) my hair are now less longer, thinner, dammaged, dry, and after 2 weeks the hair loss havn't stop yet... I don't brush my hair anymore, now I wash my hair only once a week and so carefully, I have seen a good dermatologist who prescribed me cortisone lotion and vitamins but told me I have to wait 6 months before seeing any results...
So to sum up I am so depressed at the moment, I can't work anymore, and my life is ruined now, my hair was so important to me, i can assure you that changes everything in your life when you are a woman!

Febri's hotel the worse hotel and spa experience ever in my life! And I have traveled all around the world!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Néda M
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Miss N_da_M_11 of New Caledonia,

I am very sorry to learn about your hair condition after a creambath treatment at Febri's Spa recently.

This is the first time I heard such complaint after years of its services. Without trying to be defensive, the products in the spa are of local natural products and are commonly used by commercial salons throughout Bali. The brand name is GOOD and my spa uses their AVOCADO series for shampoo, creambath emulsion and conditioner. From information in my previous emails to you, please double-check with the manufacturer directly if further information on their content is required as their lables display that they are all of water base.

The liquid solution rubbed on scalp before blow dry process is NR Hair Tonic (daily nourishment). Being commonly used among Bali salons, its ingredients can also be checked with the manufacturer directly as outlined in my previous emails.

I took the liberty to raise your report to the product distributor immediately after receiving your email. According to the distributor (being one of the biggest suppliers to Bali salons), such extent of hair loss is very unlikely caused by one single creambath treatment (more than half of your hair is lost and almost balding). Based from your information that you had 2 hair treatments elsewhere prior to having treatment at Febri’s, either due to an allergy reaction to our local products from these 3 treatments or your hair might have been in deteriorating condition prior to your treatment with us.

With this opportunity, I’d like to inform you that as from 1 July 2012, L’Oreal (imported hair product series from Paris) will be added at Febri's Spa as an alternative to the existing local hair product series. Hence clients with higher expectation shall have an option to have European product series with additional charge.

I hope you will kindly consider to give Febri’s another opportunity on your next visit to Bali. A creambath treatment with L’Oreal hair products will be provided for you with our compliment.

Paulus Wibowo