“Not so rocky !”

Ranked #21 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
segny
“Not so rocky !”

The Positive:
- This hotel is children friendly, which is to be pointed out. They propose lots of activities to keep them occupied all day long (for high fees of course)
- The pool is great, huge, with an amazing sand beach in the middle of it and a water playground for the little ones. However, the slides are ok, but not as good as on the pictures.
- The hotel seems to be the less expensive for this category.
- The hotel provides some rock concerts free of charge for hotel residents which are fun.
- Hotel and rooms are very clean - even-though the room carpet is a bit dirty and old

The Negative now:
- The hotels would need a serious refreshing. The pool surroundings are a bit ugly.
- The rooms are ok, with comfortable beds, but don't expect anything 'rocky'.
- Rooms on the ground floor are humid and smells really bad. Ask for a high level room
- The tiling are very slipping when it's raining - and it's raining a lot in Bali.
- The breakfast is ok, with lots of choices, but not so tasty. The restaurant is VERY NOISY.
- Everything within the hotel premises is very expensive, but it is apparently the case in all hotels in Kuta and the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ayekoko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bintan Island, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

That was a special treat from me to my wife on Valentine's Day so i booked suite @room 3109,Great swimming pool. Great Location,friendly staff. Chek in @12pm but they said the room was not ready yet so they escort us to hang out @pool that charge IDR 90k for the cabana. We so damn tired and no welcome drink nor cold towel in the heat of Bali. Finally @3.15 we can enter our room (room smells cigarette) no room deodorant. Internet on charge IDR35k @the pastry shop. We not having romantic dinner @HRH because no one offer us, they should offer us the hotel package for we checking in as a couple on Val's Day, so at the last minute we take romantic dinner package outside hotel (blame your staff!). Breakfast was ok, asking hot tea but coming warm tea (ruin my wife morning). All in all, did not live up to my expectations and there is far better value for money deals out there. It gets by on it's name only...

Room Tip: my room not good enough :(
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roni5678
London
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We came to the hard rock being quite familiar with it after being members of the gym here a few years ago. We came to escape nyepi and several of our friends with their children did the same.
As the title suggests not everything was as expected.
We arrived early after being warned by the staff when we booked that check in would be busy and rooms would be assigned on a first come first served basis. Luckily we got a room straight away, I say luckily as one of our friends arrived an hour later and with 2 small children was made to wait 6 and a half hours for her room.
The first room we were shown to was on the second floor (though we booked one with direct pool access) and absolutely reeked of damp and mould. We asked to be moved and were shown directly to a ground floor room which still smelled a little, but not so much that we wanted to keep trying. The door to access the pool was blocked with a day bed and jammed shut through disuse..... don't bother paying extra for this non existent feature.
Aside from this the room was clean and tidy if a little dated, and of a reasonable size.
We spent the day by the pool, which as always is THE standout feature of the hard rock bali. If there is a better pool in Bali I don't know of it. We decided to order lunch in our poolside cabana which was a big mistake. Despite being reasonably quiet still it took over an hour for the food and drinks to arrive. When it did arrive it was cold and of extremely poor quality. We ordered a second round of drinks after, it took them 45 minutes to get a beer and a water. Possibly the slowest service imaginable.
Then the bill came. 2 sandwichs, 1 small pizza and 4 drinks came to over 650k rupiahs. For half that you can get a really nice meal in a good restaurant in seminyak so I was shocked at it for the rubbish we were served (and served badly) We gave the waiter 700k and the cheeky git said "do you want me to bring the change?" Normally I tip well but after that service and question I'd be damned if he was getting a penny.
We ate out that evening.
A good nights sleep later, the bed was very comfortable and the curtains nice and thick to keep the morning out, we went off for breakfast. Luckily we have a 16 month old alarm clock and she woke us early so we got to breakfast early. Lucky as when we left there was a queue outside waiting for tables about 50 people long.
Breakfast was very average and featured a queue for the egg station lasting around 20 minutes.
Another day by the pool (though due to nyepi the hard rock had closed off the baby pool which is next to the road, understandable but disappointing for the little un) and this time we had learned our lesson and went upstairs to the deli to get sandwiches for lunch. (Nyepi day so we weren't allowed to leave the hotel) These were far better than the stodge served by the pool and the price was a little more sensible.
Our package was supposed to include dinner in the evening but we hadn't been given the voucher at reception when we checked in. It had been 'forgotten' for about half of the people we knew though it was issued without complaint when we asked for it.
Kinda wish we hadn't as myself and one other had stomach problems several hours after the asian buffet.
We also went to the advertised karaoke competition that evening to find that the staff couldn't be bothered to keep it open and closed it 2 hours early
One more poor breakfast and we fled as early as possible.

To sum up. Good but pongy rooms. Great pool. Terrible food and service in every location bar the deli
Would I stay again? Not a chance

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheWanderingGourmet
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I always wanted to stay at the Hard Rock since I was a kid. Finally, I bit the bullet and did it. It was average.

The positive: Great swimming pool. Great Location. Staff friendly.
The downside: Only 2 hours free wifi / day, which did not work on my laptop anyway. So I just took my laptop to the pool and it's close enough to the hard rock cafe that you can connect to their free wifi. However, when i asked at the pool if i could do this as i did not want to pay for the wifi, she rolled her eyes. Bit of an attitude! Also, water in rooms is salt water! Coming back from the beach to shower and brush your teeth with salt water is not good. Rooms smelled like a dirty sock too. My fiance waited in line at the buffet breakfast for a roti prata (canai) for 30 minutes - no joke, and there was only 2 people in front of her!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rodawg11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned from 9 days at The Hard Rock Hotel in Kuta! First of all... I have to say that I was hesitant about this hotel as we always stay in Nusa Dua so staying in the heart of Kuta was a first for us! I had read precious reviews about cleanliness, service and many other cons about this hotel, but I was surprised to say the least on how pleasurable our stay was.
We are a family of 4, 2xadults and 2x children, aged 4 &6. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a couple of staff that immediately warmed to our children and as any parent would understand, happy kids on holidays=happy parents! Check in was easy and we were on our way to the room. We had a Superior room with a King bed and 2xday beds! The day beds were extremely soft and the king bed was equally comfortable! My mum and stepfather stayed next to us and we had interconnecting doors that were doubled up for sound so that was a bonus! The rooms aren't the prettiest I've seen and the bathroom is a little smelly n mouldy but nothing that would deter me from returning and lets face it.... That's Bali!
Breakfast was nice! It had the usual pancakes, cereals, fruits and a selection of Asian and western foods! My hubby was a little annoyed as there was only 1 chef cooking omelettes and eggs so you could have been up for a wait of about 5-10 minutes which some people were cranky about. Me..... I only eat fruit and pancakes for Brekky so the kids and I were always happy! Brekky staff were always helpful and we never had to wait for a coffee, cutlery etc for too long! I think their non-smoking and smoking areas should be designated a little better as being non-smokers I hated the smell of smoke whilst eating!
Now..... Onto the other bits.
Kids club- this is 305,000.00 which is equivalent to about $35 AUS regardless of your length of stay! This kids. An enjoy filling their free water bottles with any refreshments around the hotel free and they receive their own identification card with lanyard upon payment of the fee! Staff were always happy and lively and the activities daily were art and craft, rock climbing (on site near the pool) movies, play station, fish feeding, beach Olympics and dance class! The LiL Rock Kids club is for ages from 4 till about 11 or perhaps 12! They have a pleasant indoor area and an outside playground. Some of the morning is spent here. Tabu, which is the older kids area is right across the corridor and they have pool tables, play stations, their own refreshment area, their own HUGE cinema and theatre and a dance and dj room! It's very professionally done and the little ones get to watch a movie daily in there and use the disco room for dance class! The only con about the kids club is the activities are the same daily so our kids only went in every second day so they didn't get bored at any stage!
The pool is fabulous with a diverse range is sections to cater for everyone. There is a designated kids pool up the back complete with water playground to keep them entertained for hours! Near the stairs when you first walk in is another section that has 5 slide all up and the kids have races as 3 are located side by side! A lifeguard is located near both play areas for nearly all of the day! There is another section of the pool which is solely a sand bottom which kids can play on and make sand castles. The deeper parts of the pool is lovely and they have spas for the adults, cabanas you can hire for between $22-35 AUS per day and let's not forget the swim up bar. Prices are quite expensive for drinks at the bar in comparison the most hotels so we didn't drink at the bar! Chairs were always easy to get around the pool and there was always plenty of towels, cabanas etc. The kids got to play beach Olympics in the afternoons on the sand beach pool and they got to do bomby competitions, popcorn eating comps and dance offs! Parents had perfect viewing spots and even the parents could join in if they chose to!
Bags were always. He med through the security check as their is only 1 way to access the pool so alcohol and most outside food was not permitted! This was never really an issue for us as we went back to our room for a snack or drink!
We didn't do any of the recording studios and photos you can do so I can not comment on any of that .
The only disappointment I will mention to this hotel is I had my bather bottoms stolen from my room! They completely disappeared into thin air! I filled out a form at reception but I am not expecting anything to come of it! Lucky for me I brought a spare pair but this was a first for us in the 10 times we have been to Bali!
The Hard Rock Cafe was lovely to eat at at the front of the hotel. Although a little pricey, the staff were rocking out inside and always bubbly! We went there a couple of times and they have happy hour between 6-7pm so they had half price cocktails!
Location was great, the staff always friendly and for the most part, we all had a great time! I would return here again but I will keep a closer eye on my bathers next visit! Lol....
Should you want any further info, don't hesitate to ask!
Happy travels all.....