“You “men-a-ger” want to go elsewhere”
Review of Menega Cafe

Menega Cafe
Ranked #99 of 307 Restaurants in Jimbaran
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Few hours after arriving at Jimbaran we ventured out from our hotel on a few minutes walk to reach the beach. The temperature is so hot and humid we hankered for a cool refreshing drink.

Having walked into one of the beach restaurants and walked out due to cleanliness issues we chose the Menega Cafe as the sign indicates it is part of the Four Seasons Hotel - quite an endorsement. This conjures up an image of professionalism, quality and cleanliness.

The tanks containing fresh seemed a lot cleaner than the others on the strip however we were interested in a drink and not eating on this occasion.

Venturing through the large restaurant to the beach we asked if it would be okay to just stop for a drink. The waiter seemed reluctant to permit us initially - diners were not queuing out of the door so didn’t see the problem. He conceded and insisted we pay for the drinks upon ordering - trust issues! So we did but we wouldn’t be stopping for another given the rudeness in the greeting.

So upon leaving we ventured back through the restaurant towards the road at the rear and past the open kitchen/BBQ’s. We definitely wouldn’t be returning here - one chef in the corner had fish on a board he was preparing and there must have been around 20 large black flies swirling around above the fish and he made no effort to swipe them away from the food.

The next part which drew attention was the guy on the BBQ area - flames roaring from below - he was organising the racks with a cigarette literally hanging out of his mouth! Yuck! Absolutely zero hygiene.

For this, I won’t be eating or frequenting here.

1  Thank Merc9SLK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to go here after looking at a few reviews for places to go on Jimbaran beach, Menega Cafe seemed like the best place to go.
There was a short wait and when we sat down we were surprised at how small the menu was. We ordered some drinks and went for the nasi goreng, mie goreng and crab. My small bintang ended up having to be ordered three times and I found a critter in the nasi goreng (which I wouldn’t usually criticize too much as I understand it was not put there on purpose and these things happen) the nasi goreng was just fried rice without the fried egg, satay and crackers. To top it off the bill landed on our table as soon as they took the plates away, we still hadn’t finished our drinks. Overall the dining experience was incredibly disappointing. I’d recommend checking out other places next door that are less busy and have larger menus.

3  Thank Megan O
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We were here around 7:30pm on Easter Sunday, and thought that a 20 minute wait was a lot, since most of the other places had at least one table available. So we came back on a Monday thinking it would be quieter, though it was even busier. At 6:30pm we were told it would be a 40 minute wait. After sitting down to wait we were then told a few minutes later that we should go inside and order our fish which would be ready by the time our table was ready. We didn’t have to pay yet, just order what we wanted. We got a 1kg “crazy yellow fish” no clue what it actually was, except delicious! And half a kilo of prawns. The night before we had the exact same sized meal at another restaurant and the only reason they got 4 not 5 stars is the size of the prawns. At the first restaurant they served at least double the amount I got at Menega, so I’m not sure if I was shortchanged or if the other place over served. The flavor was excellent, the char from the barbecue, and nice sauces to go with it. Still not sure if it’s worth a 40 minute wait. Our table was ready in about 25, and the prices are comparable to all the other places. It’s also a bit stressful compared to the other places, not knowing the order in advance process and a bit of a chaotic waiting area.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Very popular but too crowded. Make sure you go with reservation. Other cafes next door look empty but offer same quality food

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My first time going here. My usually spot is next door. Wanted to try something different. i would say i prefer my usually spot. Food is average here. Service was a bit slow maybe because they was a lot of people here. Overall it was just okay.