“Please please DON'T ride the elephants!”

Bali Safari & Marine Park
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 76.00*
and up
Full Day Bali Safari and Marine Park Dragon...
Ranked #17 of 86 things to do in Gianyar
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to hundreds amazing animals representing more than 50 species, including some of rare and endangered species. Combining Balinese cultural ambience with African Savannah, Bali Safari and Marine Park features the following exhibits featuring Sumatran elephant, Sumatran tiger, white tiger, leopard, komodo dragon and cheetah are just some of the fascinating creatures that can be seen at the Bali Safari and Marine Park. Fulfilling its mission of conservation, education and recreation through one of our attractive Elephant Show devoted to animals involved in conservation and education projects and so much more excitement by riding the elephant with our Elephant Back Safari around the African Savannah and get to see your favorite animal up close! and and there's a night into the wild names Night Safari where you can ride with amazing wild experiences ever. In Animal Encounter make the Bali Safari and Marine Park's leading familiy attraction and adventure in Bali.Taman Safari Indonesia is a member of WAZA (The World Associations of Zoo and Aquariums), SEAZA (The South East Asians Zoo Associations), CBSG (Conservations Breeding Specialist Group) and PKBSI (Indonesia Zoological Parks Associations).
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The actual park is quite good... very expensive for Bali and closer to what it would cost in Australia. We were able to hold an orang-outang and pat a lion and my son held a parrot. The safari was good and the animal enclosures are quite acceptable. The water park is great to cool off and kids would love it!! Few lockers are available near the water park. Only 2 of the rides were working. We missed the whole marine part of it so I advise you do it first (when you first get off the shuttle, go right). Would have been interesting to see the piranah's feeding. Lunch was included in the package we bought which was good and the restaurant looked onto lions. Camel ride was ok, quick but my son enjoyed it... I very much doubt that they drug their animals, I have read suggestions of that on here, the orang-outang interacted well with us and the lion cub was just really really well fed.

The Elephants:
Please don't ride them! Please don't support what this place is doing to these elephants. the rest of the park is great, and I would have given it a much higher rating if it weren't for my experience riding the elephants.
We had a 30min elephant ride in our package, and my son was quite excited. However our minds were changed within 5 minutes into it. Ours was the first elephant to approach the electric fence. On the approach the elephant was huffing and growling. When the elephant realise it had to walk through it (after they lowered it) the elephant we were on started stamping and making that 'brrrrrrrrr' sound, swinging from side to side and seemed like it was about to do a runner. It was clearly distressed. My son was terrified, and I have to admit, so was I. I thought we were going to end up injured. Another elephant came up behind us which had a parent and young child on it and it started doing the same thing, which spooked my elephant even more. During the whole ordeal, the "guides" were hitting the elephants with a stick with a metal hook on the end, and when I say hitting, I mean full throttle hitting. The guides were yelling at them and turning around and laughing at my son for crying and being scared. I was horrified and asked to be taken back, so did the other parent however the "guides" refused. Following this, the part you sit on was very lob-sided due to the elephant stamping and swinging which was difficult to sit on and hold balance. The rest of the "ride" my son was shaking and trying not to cry, other children were clearly distressed. We went into the main animal enclosure which contained 2 Rino's which terrified some kids even more. The elephants were clearly trained to do a routine: go eat, walk to rino's to take photo, go to pool of water to drink and spray water, throw dirt on themselves, go back. I can't believe that a park which obviously treats their other animals with some respect would treat their elephants like that. I am disgusted. There is an elephant that you can feed while you wait to ride the elephants, the poor thing must be forced to eat bananas all day, which you can purchase. The guy that works there pulls the elephant by the scruff of the trunk to force it eat the banana's that you are offering it. We stopped after he did this and the people waiting threw their banana's out. It clearly didn't want any. Please don't do this. You are also not allowed to take your camera or anything with you during the elephant rides, you have to leave your bag in lockers that have no key which is really dodgy!

I am not sure of an ethical place in Bali to interact with elephants, but if this is something you want to do, please, I am begging you, don't do it here!

20  Thank equinny
BaliSafariMarinePark, Curator of Bali Safari & Marine Park at Bali Safari & Marine Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2011

I am sorry to read of your bad experience at our park while riding the elephants.

I was not aware that this had happened. This type of behavior is not excepted by myself or the board of Bali safari & Marine Park.

I personally have investigated this and the staff responsible have been dismissed from their duties.

Bali Safari & Marine Parks takes pride in the fact that we are the leading Safari Park in Asia when it comes to the Husbandry, health and welfare of the animals held in our collection.

Once again I would like to personally apologize for the behavior of a couple of unprofessional rouge keepers, and would like to repeat that this is not the way we normally conduct our selves.

Please next time you come to Bali come and see me personally so that I can personally take you on a behind the exhibit tour.

Tim Husband
Curator

Write a ReviewReviews (4,427)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"welcome drink"
in 74 reviews

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been 3 times now and still think its money well spent. dinning options are good also, across the board choices and cost for all concerned.
Not so good for older people with bad legs, alot of walking about.
Waterpark is a great place to spend some time, not alot of shade places

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Loved the elephant ride but very expensive for what it is . No air con in the Uma restaurant and be careful if going for the Beef Satay. Thought the water park was included in the price but its not apparently - not happy. Will not be returning

2  Thank cheeky014
Reviewed 28 October 2011

If you are going to go to this park- invest in a package, its definately worth it!
We were a group of four friends who purchased a Rhino Package. It basically gave us the opportunity to experience the best the park has to offer.
Couldnt fault the service, the animals seemed really well looked after and the complimentary drinks they gave us throughout the day were fantastic.
Package included buffet lunch as well which was great. We didnt go to the waterpark, but I would imagine it would be of equal quality to the rest of the park.

1  Thank NDS_GC