All reviews peace and tranquility visited mussoorie uncle ambience property warmth
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Expensive historic house, not worth the price. No heating in winter – you pay extra for a feeble bar heater, not enough hot water for number of people using the bathroom- we were a family of 4. Sheets and towels straight out of the 70’s . We had dinner there on one night only, when a pathetic open fire was lit that lasted just long enough for us to wolf down the food- no further wood provided so we had to retreat to our bar heated room. The manager is clearly treated by the owner as a servant and has no initiative or desire to make changes. Old buildings can and should provide basic comfort - general heating/warmth, hot water and pristine new bedding/towels are essential. Heritage building it may be, but historic charm does not compensate for this overpriced, poorly run guest accommodation. Don’t bother.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2018

The Carlton Plaisance is my kind of hotel - atmospheric old family home, a bit like living in the 1950s, including the freezing cold evenings (in winter), lack of wi-fi and general ambience.
We had a suite - big room and attached bathroom, a verandah room with cane chairs and a sunny terrace to eat breakfast, looking out at the mountains.
Total hats of to the lovely staff who did everything they could to keep us warm - including wood fire in the room, hot water bottles etc- and fed us as well and were exceptionally sweet and helpful. They are working hard in the face of a rather decaying - if fascinating - house, rahter high prices and absentee owner.
We had a pleasant stay. The hotel is almost a mile form the centre of Mussoori but very handy for walks to Happy Valley and Company Garden (if that floats your boat - gloriously tacky fun park).
The food was homely and very nice. There are charpoys to recline in the sun at the right time of day, hot water, a Tiger room (ie trip back to about 1904) and loads of old teak furniture, pictures etc. Basically I loved it and enjoy the fact that such places still exist and if you are that sort of person you will most likely love it too.
However I have to write this review with a mind to comparison with what else is out there, which is why I have only given three stars. It really is pretty pricey even in low season. And if you are someone who does not like ramshackle atmosphere but want shiny with a spa and all luxuries, don't go near it. I'd say it was your loss.

Room Tip: Unless you are skint, go for a suite. It is a very quiet place although sometimes the dogs barking at night can keep you awake.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

In the name of antique, the hotel is completely mismanaged and added to the fact that everything is getting old including bedsheets and rotting wooden floors...it just doesn't make sense to charge the sky high prices

Additionally neither breakfast was served and for every small thing I had to call and ask the keeper for that. I am insanely disappointed by the overall experience.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 20 June 2017

May we correct you please. Plaisance is a heritage property and not " antique" .
the ceilings are all 100 year old Deodar wood and in pristine condition. wooden flooring is in the most expensive suite and in an impeccable condition.
Breakfast is an extra and not included in the room rates. It is served on the terrace over looking the Himalayas.
We are not a hotel of clairvoyants .You have to ask and ye shall receive.!!. this answers your complaint about having to ask for things.
a negative attitude makes you miss all that is so beautiful around you.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

My family and me visited Carltons Plaisance on 18th May during our trip to Mussoorie from 15th to 20th May.

My Uncle had stayed at this hotel with my late aunt when they had visited Mussoorie more than 35 years back. The pleasant memories of their visit were so fresh in my Uncle's mind that it compelled us to visit this place again for a cup of tea.

I was very impressed by the British style ambience and the peace and tranquility which emanated from the well maintained property.

The owner was very kind and cordial and was very happy that my Uncle had fond memories of the hotel from his stay more than three decades back...

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Great staff
Owners are also very humble and caring......Great hospitality.......if you are in mussoorie for holidays you must stay there and feel the awesomeness of the place.........the place is so peaceful and beautiful.....

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family