“Pathetic beyond my words and your imagination!!!”
Review of Ranjit Hotel

Ranjit Hotel
Ranked #117 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I have never stayed in a hotel as badly maintained as this. One of the portals had some 20 + positive reviews which made me book this but I was in was sheer disappointment. We were a group of 10 people and had adjusted in 4 rooms, none of which were average, to say the least. We had made a booking over phone and found it hard to back out once we reached the venue.....so there we were...stuck in such a shabby place which was stinking like hell!!

Honestly, if you are made to stay there for free also, spare yourself the pain. The rooms are without any daylight with a foul smell. The bathrooms are very dirty including the buckets, mug or any thing for the matter. The soap is not even the basic "medimix" which is offered at various other mediocre hotels. We didn't have the courage to try the food there going by the standard of hygiene that was visible. The dim, gloomy look of the restaurant would make you feel if you are in a haunted house or a restaurant. Truly, spare your senses of the trouble!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 June 2011

We arrived at Agra late after our train was delayed for 6 hours at Delhi. So, decided to put up a stay within the vicinity of the train station.

We got the hotel's contact from the internet and the rating posted was above average (2.8 out of 5). The rating is a bit too generous and misleading, i think.

The hotel is old and everything inside is overly used. Dusty and broken furniture is lying in the long dirty corridor. Our room is AC but it tripped frequently and the backup generator doesn't power it.

The 3-wheeler driver who drove us around in Agra told us with the room price (1800 Indian rupees) that we paid for we can get other better deal in the town - approx 2km from the Agra Cantt .

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ng_KT
Reviewed 17 February 2011

This was like sleeping at a flophouse...Every night there was loud hall and street noise..It seemed more like a dormitory than a hotel..The restaurant was unacceptable...One look and we decided to eat out..There was no way to close the bathroom window..there was no hot water..there was no lift, even though the website said there was..(we are senior citizens and our room was 3 flights up)..one person spoke a little english so difficult to communicate..I had prepaid for the stay, or we would have gotten a new hotel the 2nd night..ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN...I HAVE TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY AROUND THE WORLD, AND THIS WAS THE 2ND WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN.....BY FAR THE WORST IN INDIA...P.S. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE THE TAJ MAHAL..(AND IT LIKE AGRA FORT AND FATEHPUR SIKRI ARE VERY VERY OVERPRICED FOR ENTRY...STAY IN AGRA AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE...THE WORST STOP WE HAD IN 6 WEEKS IN INDIA...THE TOUTS ARE TERRIBLE...THE CITY IS CROWDED....

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crosslover
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Over all the experience was average. I paid for a air-conditioned room but when I entered I felt it was a non AC room. They told the AC was damaged. Staff was good, food was also ok and location is really excellent

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This was my first trip to India and finding a good budget hotel was difficult. I read the reviews of the Ranjit Hotel on Tripadvisor but decided to try it anyway. I was only going to stay here for a day so how bad could it be?

I arrived at the Agra Cantt train station and asked someone where this hotel was. The guy, "who was on his way to a train" said I would need to take a taxi to get there. I was surprised because I knew it was near the train station. He told me that I was not at Agra Cantt. He directed me to one particular taxi driver. Within 5 minutes, we were at the hotel. You can see the train station from the hotel.

The lobby was small and simple. Check-in was fine though it was done at small table (card table). The bellboy was all too eager to bring your luggage up to my room.

In my room, one of the staff delivered some towels and I gave him a tip. Five minutes later, another of the staff delivered more towels. I told him I did not need them because I had some. The room itself was large and noticeably worn. It had a king/queen size bed and a small vanity without a mirror. It also had an air-conditioner that did not work and a ceiling fan that did. The speeds of the fan seemed a bit inappropriate or maybe it was just me. It was either too fast or too slow. The bathroom really needed a cleaning. It had numerous bugs, mildew and it lacked hot water. No, I did not call management.

In the evening, it was very dark , dusty and somewhat active. Although I felt safe walking around, I am sure there will be others who may not feel the same. I was looking for a restaurant and a STD calling station. I found neither. There is a restaurant at the train station which serves multi-cultural cuisines. I saw a lot of the tourists stop in.

Check-out was quick and easy. My train was at 12:25 AM and it took me about 5-10 minutes to walk to the train station.

Overall, if I was in Agra for a longer stay, I would not stay here. I would put up the extra money for a more accommodating hotel. I would only stay here if there were no other option. People who would use a hotel for sleeping purposes and are not bothered with how it looks may be fine here.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo