“A cosy Veg Bistro”
Review of Cafe Diem

Cafe Diem
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Coonoor
Price range: USD 6 - USD 14
Description: A cafe that's an all day dining option from 11am to 6pm. Soups, salads, panini sandwiches, pastas thin crust pizzas, crepes, tarts - savoury and sweet, ice creams and more. Make a reservation if planning lunch at the cafe. Weekends are very busy and reserving your table is highly recommended.Food is not served on the open deck for the safety of our clients as there is a monkey menace. Wednesday’s CLOSED
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I am a native of Coonoor and have moved to Chennai and hence this nice place got somehow unnoticed. Last week I decided to give this place a try. A little bit difficult to find as it is hidden inside a bungalow complex on the Coonoor- Kotagiri highway just near a place called Bandhishola. The best part that I liked is that is a pure vegetarian dining outlet serving predominantly world cuisine. The ambience is outstanding and one can have a quiet chat over lunch or coffee or a pastry. The sit out overlooking the hills is a treat and perfect for a romantic sip of coffee. The restaurant inside can possibly accommodate around 20 people at the max and is elegantly designed to reflect the theme. I had a Avocado desert/pastry which was fantastic. You would have to specifically mention "egg less" in your order of pastries as they have varieties with egg too. The beautiful display of the menu at the entrance excites the taste buds. The owner is a very helpful and friendly person who engages with most customers. This is definitely a niche place and they prefer it to be so. A few things however can make the experience better. I feel that the portions need to in line with the prices charged at the premium place or the prices can be on the lower side. I thought a bit more or staffing on the services side would help in bringing more efficiency. The other draw back I thought was that the place is not open for dinner. Having said that, one cannot but appreciate the attention to detail in making the whole place a wonderful dining experience. Given this, I would rate the place at a 3.75 to 4.

ekaanth, Owner at Cafe Diem, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thank you for your review and candid comments. My team and I will endeavour to work on the inputs given by you. Look forward to seeing you here again. Cheers

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I admit I only visited this place one time. I think it's good to support new and local businesses. That said, while there was nothing really wrong with the place - IMHO, there was othing so special about it either. It's decor is cute, good for a diner or casual student café ( nothing wrong with that ). But then menu selection is limited, my pizza & my friends pasta order were just okay. The owner and staff were nice, but place feels like a home style type business. Again - that's ok. The fresh juices were very good though and the view is very special.

ekaanth, Owner at Cafe Diem, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Thank you for visiting the café and your feedback, which we truly value. Yes you are right - our menu is indeed limited. We intend to gradually offer more options, incorporating a lot of local seasonal ingredients. This will offer the much required variety as well. As our name indicates, it is meant to be a café, but somewhere along the way in the last seven months of our presence people have started to consider it a restaurant - which indeed it isn't as you have rightly stated. It is meant to be a casual café with a view.
Thank you and hope to see you again when you visit the Nilgiris.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch after making a reservation the previous day. It serves vegetarian fare (pizzas, pastas and other Baked goodies) and also has vegan options. The ratatouille pizza and the pesto pizza were outstanding. Food was exquisite and portions were generous leaving us fully satisfied. We also ordered pumpkin soup which was well spiced and warming in the cold weather. A small cozy cafe which is part of a house. The place may be a little difficult to locate but is well worth a visit for it's unique flavours and food filled with love. Also do not miss ordering the natural ice creams and the Nolen Gur (date palm with jaggery) ice cream is a must have.

ekaanth, Owner at Cafe Diem, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you for your generous appreciation of our food and service. We look forward to welcoming you again with more gourmet delights.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Visited Cafe Diem during the Dussehra holidays and what an experience. Great ambience with a mind blowing view of tea gardens and superb food. Radhika adds that extra touch by helping you with the menu ..
A must do in Conoor...

ekaanth, Owner at Cafe Diem, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you for your review on the Café Diem experience. We try to keep the ecpwrience as personal as possible with limited seating so that patrons can enjoy a quiet meal in the hills. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again. We will be introducing many more authentic international dishes which we would like you to savour.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

It's hard to tell that this cozy, little cafe is hidden in the Coonoor Hills. Very nice little oasis to spend a quiet afternoon. Good food and atmosphere. Really nice garden and views also.

1  Thank Umang M
ekaanth, Owner at Cafe Diem, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Thank you for your comments. My team and I are very pleased to note that you like the food, the ambience snd the views.