If this were a lesser property, I would have thought it was fantastic. After all, the magnificent grounds, the phenomenal lake views, the beautiful pools and decor really are quite jaw dropping. But its not a lesser property - its the Udaivilas, and Oberoi is very quick to point out that its "Number one in the world".
And when staying at the property that's supposed to be "Number one in the world", my expectations are quite justifiably through the roof. It should be an experience unequaled.
Well, they set a pretty high standard, and the service didn't quite live up to that standard. Some examples:
- We were in the mood for a late afternoon cocktail. It was beautiful out, so I asked at the bar where we could go to sit outside and have a drink. He suggested the pool area. We headed over that way and sat. Although there was a server working the pool, it took him a good 10 minutes to greet us and take our order. Not a big deal. But then it took another half hour to get our drinks. A bit later, we ordered refills, and again, it took a full half hour to get our drinks. Really? Had I known, I would have walked to the bar myself.
- At dinner, we had a bottle of wine in the chiller. But they weren't quite that attentive, and didn't notice when our glasses were empty. We waved our arms to get some attention, but to no avail. It was a bit embarrassing to have to stand up and walk over to the chiller to pour my own wine.
- On our last day, we decided to have lunch in the bar. Since we would be checking out, I told them when they brought the check to be sure to post it to our room immediately because we're checking out. At checkout, I mentioned that we had just had lunch, so please make sure the lunch check is on our final bill. Well, despite mentioning it twice, they didn't do it. After we checked out, while I was walking out the door, they chased me down to pay the lunch bill. I had to go through the whole credit card process a second time.
While these issues aren't egregious by any stretch, they do represent missteps that simply should not occur at a property that proudly boasts of being the "Best in the World".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a city fabled for its palaces, The Oberoi Udaivilas can take its place with pride. With views over Lake Pichola to the spectacular City Palace, the hotel itself resembles a grand palace. Landscaped gardens and shady courtyards, decorative fountains and reflection pools, cool marble, ornate carving, inlay work and detailed interiors create a marvellous ambience of days gone by. Huge bedchambers with large private terraces, luxury suites with private swimming pools, marble bathrooms, walk-in closets, butler service and 24-hour in-room dining make you feel like royalty. The restaurants serve international and Indian cuisine including regional favourites. A gymnasium, two large swimming pools and a luxury spa offering a range of therapies, add to the ambience of total pampering. The facilities are particularly suited to meetings that might benefit from this exotic location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Oberoi Udaivilas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Udaivilas Hotel Udaipur
- Oberoi Hotel Udaipur
- Oberoi Hotel Udaivilas
- Oberoi Udaipur
- Udaipur Oberoi