“Beautiful property”

Suryagarh
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Jaisalmer
“Beautiful property”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My stay at the property was wonderful. After checking out I realized I was overcharged, which has changed my opinion somewhat of the hotel, but the hotel staff (mainly the gentleman working in the cafe and restaurant, and one of the drivers) were wonderful. I was only there for one night, but it was magical. The room was beautiful, as well as the rest of the hotel. The front desk arranged a wonderful trip and camel ride to the dunes, and that night I had a delicious dinner in the Indian restaurant. I was only one of 2 people dining and the staff gave me wonderful company. It was great!

The hotel was definitely higher priced compared to Taj or Oberoi, but the only choice for luxury accommodations in Jaisalmer.

Very upsetting though was the mistakes in my bill upon checking out. I first noticed a charge at the cafe for a significant amount of money. The attendant nicely removed the charge and I paid the remaining balance. Warning: look at the bill carefully. The charges are itemized in a way that is very confusing. After leaving the hotel I found another significant bar charge on the bill. I called the hotel and it was obviously another guests charges- it was several beers among other things I believe. I was traveling alone and only had the dinner, so it should have been obvious the charge was a mistake. I've called the hotel 3 times and have sent 3 emails, even one to their office in Dehli but have yet to have the charge reversed.

This lack of service after my stay has been very disappointing, but I suppose if you carefully check the bill before leaving the memories of a beautiful hotel with very hard working staff (obviously not all due to this incident) will stay with you forever!

• Stayed February 2012
suryagarh_jaisalmer, General Manager at Suryagarh, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your short stay with us in Jaisalmer. Thank you for your appreciation of the services and of the team members. I would surely pass on your kind feedback to them. I regret the inconvenience that was caused to you because of the error in billing. Our accounts department is in touch with the bank and needed a few details from your end. An email in this regard has been sent to you. Whilst this process was on, the delay was caused due to an error and i apologize that you were not informed of the same.
I do hope that this has not changed your opinion on the hotel and our services and we do hope to have you back with us on your next visit to Jaisalmer.

Arpit Pant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
delhi
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed with my family and relatives in Suryagarh for two days from march 1.
I don't like staying away from the city i am travelling, but this property doesn't give you much chances to disappoint.

We were greeted very well followed by a refreshing welcome drink. We were delighted to know that we were upgraded to suite rooms, and they were amazingly good. They are very spacious and clean and have all what you need. The best thing was that the rooms shared same balcony so our kids could go from one room to another without disturbing other guests.

The hotel runs its own cultural program every evening so you don't get bored either.

The property is very nice and clean.
It is not a heritage property but has been constructed wonderfully.
The staff is very courteous.
The food is good.
The breakfast buffet is not lavish but they are ready to cook and serve on your demands.

The only minus point is that there is nothing around the hotel till miles away. It is all vacant land till u can see. So u need taxi even to step out of hotel. And the hotel charges are very high (as generally with any hotel). so keep one or two cab driver's phone no. with you while coming from station or airport.

Also, the water temperature of swimming pool is not controlled. So we could not enjoy it even.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This appears to be an ancient fort but is in fact a new building and there lies the problem, it's austere, although a fair distance from the lift we could hear its operation in our room. The place is like a tin drum, sound travels across marble floors, a few carpets would soften that in many ways. The staff I'm sorry to say are not quite up to speed, so you'll need a lot of patience. The bedroom was perfect, the place looks great, we happened to stay there when it was very, very quiet so this influenced the review. We've stayed in worst places. I'm guessing it'll be as good or as bad as the other hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevator as possible, otherwise the rooms are to a high standard.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caribbeanskipper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel is grand in an opulent and showy way but having experienced some of the more authentic, historic hawelis , we prefer a smaller scale. I cannot criticise the conscientious service and kind staff , and the housekeeping was excellent. I do feel however, that a hotel of this style and grandeur should devote more attention to outside space - I found the gardens undeveloped and unimpressive. There is a huge indoor swimming pool (because of the winds and sand they prefer to keep it indoors to keep it clean) but this is a pity. The outdoor sun lounging space was minimal - and with no bar service. The main courtyard of the hotel is a wasted space and could have been made more intimate and personal with small groups of
tables and umbrellas.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
suryagarh_jaisalmer, General Manager at Suryagarh, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your views posted through TripAdvisor. I would surely pass on your appreciation about the team and specifically about our Housekeeping to all members. Your point about the outside areas is well taken and we are working consciously towards it. It is just that all outdoor locations are completely weather dependent and hence we use our various courtyards spaces depending on the prevailing conditions. You would be glad to know since the cold has reduced we have started using our central courtyards for meals as an outside option. It is such positive feedback that helps us understand and improve.
We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Jaisalmer.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We were driving through Rajsthan and stopped in Jaisalmer for a short stay... we couln't have found a better hotel! We were traveling with 2 small children, and it was great to see the friendly staff pampering them. Everything was near perfect; the staff were courteous and efficient, the facilities awesome, and the grandeur of the property unmatched... all in all this is easily the best hotel in Jaisalmer.

Room Tip: Don't forget to enjoy the lovely lawns, especially if you are traveling during winter months. T...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your appreciation. I am glad that you had a memorable stay along with your family at Suryagarh. We look forward to having you with us back soon.