All reviews swimming pool the cliff wonderful pool brilliant place large room an amazing place to stay calm place off season in house restaurant few minutes walk away special place clean rooms sea view hot water main building special thanks coconut trees
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We spent the final 6 days of our long trip through south Asia here and it turned out to be a special place.

We arrived a day late due to a flight cancellation but I was able to retain the booking due to their good communication with me via phone and online messaging.

The hotel arranged an aircon taxi pickup for me, my husband and mother from Trivandrum airport at the standard rate with no markup, which was very welcome. Their preferred driver Mr Shameer is top-notch and we recommend the taxi service.

On our arrival in the evening we realised that Varkala in March is HOT! Very hot! - averaging over 35c during the day and very humid. We had initially booked rooms without aircon but realised we would need this and the manager Anoop managed to sort out A/C rooms for our party within 15 minutes.

Our rooms were simple, but clean, very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was also large and perhaps a little dated but everything worked and it was clean. We had also had a balcony with several locks and we felt secure.

The setting and gardens of the hotel are like Paradise! Coconut palms and also other fruit trees. We were lucky enough to sample several, freshly picked by the staff.

The staff at this hotel are very special. We had several things we needed to do whilst staying at Varkala and their assistance was invaluable. A special mention must go to the chef/barman who was tireless and friendly and to Anoop the manager who managed my communications for me with a small NGO in Kerala. They were kind and genuinely interested.

The pool is clean and has a good view of the quiet end of Varkala beach.

There are many steps and different levels around the hotel and the area and if you have some walking difficulties (like me) you may find some of the routes a challenge but there are many places to sit down and rest. Within 5 minutes walk there are alternative restaurants, bars, shops if you fancy a change, and it's probably a good 30 minutes stroll to the other end of Varkala and the helipad and car park.

The rooms included breakfast and it was excellent - a choice of western or Indian dishes and the coffee was good.

My reason for 4 stars is that some aspects of the rooms were a bit poorly planned and a bit dated and the pool area only had one umbrella and 4 loungers for the whole hotel.

We had a very pleasant surprise on checking out & paying our bill - the manager had not charged us extra for our A/C rooms and had even deducted the first night's cost, when we had the cancelled flight and arrived a day late.

All in all, due to the kindness and care of the staff this was an excellent stay and one I will always remember. Thank you to all at TBR!

Room tip: Ground floor rooms are safe and secure
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank J-Jools
Reviewed 29 March 2018

I have been coming to Varkala for many years now and in Thiruvambadi, I have finally found my best place! The rooms are nice, the food is good, the staff is kind and the manager is very helpful. The swimming pool is also a plus!
If you are looking for a quiet place, some steps away from the beach and just some minutes from the cliff, then this is just the perfect place for you too!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I so happy to find this place in Vakrala. I spent there 4 days. It was my best time in India. Hotel is in so good location, next to ocean. I saw sunset from swimming pool area in hotel. Staff people in this place were very friendly and helped me a lot. My room was beautiful, big, clean. I hope you will visit this place too.

Date of stay: February 2018
1  Thank NorthStar423335
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Far the best stay during our travels in India. Manager was genuinely very helpful. Property was very well kept and cleaning was provided whenever asked.
Calm place to stay and relax still nearby the Cliff .

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2018

The room was big, good and clean. The only problem was that the bath was broken, but we could still take showers.
The pool was big and very clean, and it was nice to be able to drink a cool beer just by the pool.
The open restaurant has a view to the sea and the pool , and the food was some of the best during our 3 week trip in Kerala.
The staff were very friendly.
The hotel is very calm , and only 50 meters from the beach , and about the same distance to the cliff walks with all of the boutiques.
A great stay and l would certainly recommend this hotel.
Only 4 stars because of the bath !
Dave King

Room tip: sea view with a balcony
Date of stay: February 2018