All reviews nice hotel main city room was spacious hotel staff thekkady town cultural program awesome experience kerala trip comfortable stay swimming pool welcome drink food quality excellent hospitality sight seeing excellent stay spice garden hot water
Reviewed 6 October 2015

I was visiting thekkady with my wife and three kids. I reviewed lot of hotels in and around and found mixed reviews for some of the ones and remaining ones were extremely price. I also wanted to visit a retreat center that was very close to this hotel. Overall, the hotel is really good with very nice welcoming staff. They were paying attention to all the minor details. I was upgraded to a suite room and the view from balcony was wonderful and serene. There was no tub in the bathroom, but other than that all the regular facilities were there. This place seems to be a new one since all the fittings and accessories were very clean and felt like newly installed. The mattress in bedroom was a bit more tough to my liking, but in the end it was good since I didn't end up with back problems. The staff were very attentive to all the minute details and were very helpful. They arranged a cultural program which included some traditional Kerala dance (bharatanatyam etc) along with some solo singing from a singer as part of buffet dinner and all of us enjoyed it very much. Complimentary breakfast was reasonably stocked with all the regular Indian breakfast dishes. There was also a live counter serving Masala Dosa, Omlet etc. There was a pool in the hotel, but since our schedule was packed, we couldn't spend any time there. The location is around 10 kms away from Thekkady and the drive towards Thekkady is really wonderful. I didn't feel like I am staying too far away and it took around 20 mins for me to reach Thekkady. The hotel also offered free wifi which had reasonably good speed and coverage. Overall, it's been a wonderful and pleasant experience and I could see the staff taking extra effort and pain to ensure that all the guests stay happy !

Room Tip: Chose the rooms 201 or any room on that side which offers very good view
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
SpiceGrove, Business Development Manager at Spice Grove Hotels And Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2015

Namaskaar from Spicegrove by Mandharaa, Thekkady!!!

It was a delight to have you stay at Spicegrove Mandharaa, Thekkady and I thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure that every aspect of your experience was excellent. It feels wonderful to receive such feedback from our guests and I am overwhelmed each time by the commitment of our team to create fond memories for our guests. I have shared your feedback with the entire team and they are humbled by your praise and recognition.

The team and I are so grateful for your recommendation and we look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits.

Reviewed 1 October 2015

After a disappointing stay at the Tea Valley Resort in Munnar we were hoping for something better on this tour (see below) and we found it.
From the welcome to the organized traditional dance and buffet dinner outside that evening(1000INR for 2)
We used there Spa for a 1 hour western full body massage (5390INR for 2).
My wife and I were took into separate rooms, would have been nice to be together, apart from an uncomfortable head rest that kept slipping down my therapist did a great job and seemed to get lost in the moment as I looked up at 1hr10mins and he was still going strong but as we had to get ready for dinner I had to stop him and it was finished with the steam room and a shower.
My wife however was not so happy with only 45 mins massage and the steam room and the actual pressure was not enough for her.
On the way out of the spa and in a fog after the massage we were handed a satisfaction survey and stood over while we filled them in, not really a good idea if they want truthful feedback.

Ina greeted us and hosted the evening trying her best to get everybody up dancing and was a fantastic host who made the night extremely fun.

The only thing that stopped me giving 5 was the wifi. It was meant to be available in our room 309 but despite a few visits from various technical staff we had no service. We used it to skype home from the lobby but found it to slow to be useful.

The Tour Company:

We used Tours To Kerala.
The package was a good price and unlike others included some meals.
After some emails back and forth we were set. They wanted us to make a bank transfer for 5000INR deposit but were happy for us to pay cash to the driver on arrival.
We went for the premium package for 35,000 INR.

Accommodation in mentioned Hotels in 01 double Room with Breakfast . Transportation using A/C cab as per itinerary

Flower decoration in Munnar
Candle light dinner in Munnar ( 1 night )
Flower decoration in Houseboat
Candle light dinner in Thekkady
Candle light dinner in Houseboat
Arrival assistance
Service of an English speaking driver
Parking, Toll, All Taxes

We found out to our cost that the price was only guaranteed until March 2015 and as we set it up in a rush did not notice the new exclusions buried in the text of one of the emails they sent to us.

On arrival at Munnar we were told the only dinner was on the boat and after some negotiation they agreed to add one dinner in Munnar.

The company communication was good although I got so many numbers and spoke to numerous people I got confused who was who.

However our driver Mr Anil was the saving grace and was amazing and looked out for us throughout the tour.

The parks Eravikulam National Park (720INR for 2) and Periyar(900INR Entry + $450INR Boating + 38INR camera fee for 2) I feel are not worth the fee and make you feel like you are being herded like cattle from place to place and if you deviate from the set path you will quickly get told to get back or sit down by the many staff hanging around with nothing better to do.

The long drives from each hotel were although to long, some of the best scenery I have seen in India with the driver stopping on the way either at your request or at points of interest.

The house boat although covered in blue tarps was great and the room surprisingly comfortable and clean. Food was basic but good cooked on-board by the crew. We did one night which ended up late starting afternoon (should have been noon) to noon(should have been 9am) due to a house boat technical problem prior to our arrival.

So if you happen to take a tour make sure you read the details and verify the package as once set Indians do not like changing things.

Room Tip: Choose away from the stairs on a high floor
2  Thank Stephen H

It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests have a most comfortable stay with us and I am glad that you have carried with you happy memories of your stay with us.

I thank you for your appreciation of our services whilst your stay with us. I will certainly share your feedback and gratitude with my team who assisted you throughout your stay. Your appreciation towards our team members will serve as a further source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards in hospitality excellence and will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in the future.

We greatly value your patronage and your feedback and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to Spicegrove Mandharaa, Thekkady, assuring you our best attention and services always.

Please do feel free to write to me directly when you are ready to plan your next trip to Thekkkady in order for me to personally ensure that you have a memorable stay with us

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We stayed one night at Spice Grove and we were very impressed with the professionalism of the staff. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable. Previous reviewers have complained about the noise level but we did not find this to be a problem (we were on the 3rd floor).

The manager invited us to an evening gala with a delicious buffet, traditional Indian dance as well as dancing to some modern Indian pop music (cost was 500 rupees per person for the whole event). We are westerners and felt very welcomed and included in the festivities. It was a really fun evening!

We both had a western deep tissue massage (60 minutes). Cost was very reasonable at 2695 rupees per person ($40). My husband had an excellent massage while mine was mediocre.

One negative is that the wi-fi did not work in the room and barely worked in the lobby.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

We greatly value your patronage and your feedback and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to Spicegrove by Mandharaa, Thekkady, assuring you our best attention and services always.

Please do feel free to write to me directly when you are ready to plan your next trip to Thekkady in order for me to personally ensure that you have a memorable stay with us

Reviewed 28 September 2015

This is a medium sized hotel on the main road from Munnar to Thekkady approximately 10 kms short of the town. The rooms are spacious with balconies looking into the spice plantations. The hospitality extended was good with the staff taking personal interest. They also organised a small traditional dance programme for all the guests. There is also a Spa available.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors overlooking the plantations would be preferable.

Dear Guest,

Namaskaar from Spicegrove Mandharaa, Thekkady!!!

Reviewed 28 September 2015

Nice place to stay. Overall experience is good. Staff is helpful,Fantastic and very efficiently run. Food is also good. Away from city but nice experience.Many facilities are available.Rooms are comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Namaskaar from Spicegrove Mandharaa, Thekkady!!!