All reviews peanut butter german bread his wife guesthouse birds hosts cleanliness
Reviewed 6 January 2015

My girlfriend and I loved this place. Simply put, it felt like a home away from home. It is also nice in that it is on a hill isolated from the traffic noises from town. A beautiful place to stay, and loved the homemade peanut butter, jam and coffee! Recommended without a second's thought.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2014 via mobile

It was a toss up between the Lonely Planet suggestions for Kumily (aka Thekkady, Periyar) and I'm glad I decided on Claus' place. Seeing the lovely room I was put in and how peaceful it felt there I immediately decided to stay for two nights instead of one. Off road parking for my motorbike was a plus as well. I enjoyed meeting Claus and some of his family who were also there to stay, the Indian/German mix of people I found friendly and welcoming which was nice as a solo traveller, with plenty of my own space as well (which I like). Beautiful rooms with balconies and lovely places to sit and enjoy the view of the garden, I also enjoyed going into the Periyar wildlife sanctuary and chose to do the half day bamboo rafting which was cool, although two women I met did the border walk at the same time and saw a wild elephant and calf, so I wished I had done that! Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 14 November 2014

We tried to stay at a place nearby, which turned out to be full. By coincidence we drove past Claus Gardens, and Claus stuck his head over the gate and invited us in to see the place. Thank god he did, as it turned out to be one of the best places we stayed on our entire trip! The bedroom was beautiful, the bathroom was wonderful (with hot water powered by the solar panels on the roof!) and the gardens are absolutely idyllic. Jaya's breakfast was delicious, with fruits, omelette, pancakes and homemade peanut butter and date syrup. We were so sad to stay only 2 nights! I'll be going back again and again.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed there for three nights on January 2012. This a special place to stay. It is a big well maintained house runned by Claus and his wife, with a tropical garden, located outside of the noisy main streets of Kummily in a quite neighborhood. The garden is something like a small plantation. They have pepper, coffee, papaya, jackfruits, passion fruits and many kinds of flowers. Claus and Omana are very warm and friendly and they definitely don't look like ordinary hotel staff. You get the feeling that you stay on a vacation home. Our room on the upper floor was spacious, airy and full of light, clean, with basic amenities but very cosy. Our verandah was a great place to relax, have a home made coffee and feel part of nature. And maybe if you sit there you may get a visit by a black monkey. We definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had 2 days in Kumily and stayed at Claus and Omana's place (on a family member's recommendation). First rate place: great atmosphere, magnificent garden, very clean and comfortable rooms, tasty verandah out the front of one of our rooms, a fabulous roof top space (with a wee tower section) and that utterly rare thing for India - safe, delicious tapped water (via their own well). The solar hot water was entirely adequate for us, not to mention it being a treat knowing you're using "green" power to wash away travel grime. People have mentioned the continental breakfast. Me, I like to eat local food as much as possible, but Claus and Omana's breakfast selection was just too good to get all "pure" about that rule. Home made bread, peanut paste and fig syrup, washed down with exquisite coffee and then finished off with beautiful fresh tropical fruit. More than happy with that indeed. We'll be back, no worries.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends