“A Paradise on Earth!!”
Review of Claus Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Claus Garden
Ranked #31 of 133 Thekkady B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 February 2015

Claus Garden in Kumily is truly a paradise on earth. If you are looking for a peaceful place where you can recover from daily life then this is the right place to go to!! All rooms are beautifully designed and one feels like at home. There are different spots in the entire house where one can sit and enjoy the wondeful view towards the mountains and the garden. One highlight is the roof terrace where you can watch the monkeys and the stars. Claus and Omana are brilliant hosts who make one of the best breakfasts we have ever had. They help you in planning your days in Kumily and surrounding and make your stay a wonderful one which you will never forget. If you plan to stay at Claus Garden then one thing is for sure: You will want to come back to this beautiful place. My family and me have already stayed at Claus Garden repeatedly.

Room Tip: If you would like to have a big room or you travel with a child then book the 'Shiva Room'...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 January 2015

My girlfriend and I loved this place. Simply put, it felt like a home away from home. It is also nice in that it is on a hill isolated from the traffic noises from town. A beautiful place to stay, and loved the homemade peanut butter, jam and coffee! Recommended without a second's thought.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2014 via mobile

It was a toss up between the Lonely Planet suggestions for Kumily (aka Thekkady, Periyar) and I'm glad I decided on Claus' place. Seeing the lovely room I was put in and how peaceful it felt there I immediately decided to stay for two nights instead of one. Off road parking for my motorbike was a plus as well. I enjoyed meeting Claus and some of his family who were also there to stay, the Indian/German mix of people I found friendly and welcoming which was nice as a solo traveller, with plenty of my own space as well (which I like). Beautiful rooms with balconies and lovely places to sit and enjoy the view of the garden, I also enjoyed going into the Periyar wildlife sanctuary and chose to do the half day bamboo rafting which was cool, although two women I met did the border walk at the same time and saw a wild elephant and calf, so I wished I had done that! Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 14 November 2014

We tried to stay at a place nearby, which turned out to be full. By coincidence we drove past Claus Gardens, and Claus stuck his head over the gate and invited us in to see the place. Thank god he did, as it turned out to be one of the best places we stayed on our entire trip! The bedroom was beautiful, the bathroom was wonderful (with hot water powered by the solar panels on the roof!) and the gardens are absolutely idyllic. Jaya's breakfast was delicious, with fruits, omelette, pancakes and homemade peanut butter and date syrup. We were so sad to stay only 2 nights! I'll be going back again and again.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed there for three nights on January 2012. This a special place to stay. It is a big well maintained house runned by Claus and his wife, with a tropical garden, located outside of the noisy main streets of Kummily in a quite neighborhood. The garden is something like a small plantation. They have pepper, coffee, papaya, jackfruits, passion fruits and many kinds of flowers. Claus and Omana are very warm and friendly and they definitely don't look like ordinary hotel staff. You get the feeling that you stay on a vacation home. Our room on the upper floor was spacious, airy and full of light, clean, with basic amenities but very cosy. Our verandah was a great place to relax, have a home made coffee and feel part of nature. And maybe if you sit there you may get a visit by a black monkey. We definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple