“best ayurvedic center”

and 1 more site!
Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I start this year staying at this wonderful place, since the beginning when we called to make our reservation everything was wonderful dr. sreejit attended us personally and i have to mention when we arrived all the people were absolutely charming and let us feel like we were at home, besides the really professional work in health, healing treatments, and the incredible food I have no words to express how wonderful time we had. For me is one of my greatest souvenirs of India.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank ben150798

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Arriving at Athreya I got such a warm and personal welcome I never noticed in the world before - and beleive me I´m travelling lots. Room was furnished standardly besides the bed and mosquito-net - which was not really necessary in June - there was a nice mirror cabinet on which were fresh flowers placed, table and chairs, wonderful curtains and some nice pictures on the wall. The flowers got changed daily - that was really nice. Room was really clean, which was an important issue for me. Most I enjoyed the big terrace outside my room - was even able to sit out when it was raining - was there in rainy season. Staff helped to make our stay as pleasant as possible - great support - showed us also walking trails, etc.
Had my first experience there with Ayurveda Medicine. Was surprised how seriously everything was taken. Here in Europe a doctor hardly spends that much time to talk to a patient in order to get to know everything. At Athreya that was totally different my first meeting with the doctor started out with daily habits and ended with my medical history. Dr. Sreejit was (is) very serious about what he was doing - listened to every single comment of his clients in order to plan the best therapy. Were not seen as numbers as it is said to be done in some other tourist places - we were really taken care very well. At Athreya they do lots to keep up traditional Ayurveda. There is no standard for everyone. The whole variety of ayurvedic medicine is practiced there. Treatments were explained or a short video was shown prior taken to them. Had a morning and afternoon session. Had the pleasure to enjoy different massages from loke simple oil massage, abyhanga, herbal massage, udvartana, and my most favorite one the siro dhara. Therapists did their best - also in ways in communication - in case of a language problem someone was there to assist. Men were treated by men & women were treated by women only. Expect to get there traditional ayurveda - you have to get some rest after the treatments, shouldn´t talk inbetween. Besides the therapies herbal medicines were given several times a day. Some medicines tasted very bitter. Medicines were freshly made from the herbal garden.
Didn´t get a plan for the whole time - treatments were adjusted to the reaction of the body. Plan was given for approx. 3 - 4 days.
At the beginning I thought how will I survive on vegetarian diet - was surprised how tasty that was. Due to restrictions and healthy reasons not everyone got the same diet. For breakfast typical Keralan food was prepared - so it was repeated approx. every week - some dishes are liked more some less. Said overall great variety, freshly cooked.
At the time I was there we were a great mixture of people all over the world. Once at breakfast we asked if it would be possible to rearrange the tables in order that all of us could sit together on a big table - at lunchtime tables were already rearranged. If there was a day you didn´t want your meals at the restaurant everything was brought to your room.
Don´t expect a luxurious place but expect a quiet and comfortable one where you can perfectly recharge your batteries. People there are great, all of them are doing a nice job. Place is fantastic to calm down, observe the nature - enjoy the calmness. Can do some nice walks from the resort. Everything is done there to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Saeb27
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I went to Athreya to take some time off and get some Ayurvedic treatments.
The place is small and cozy. Not much activity inside so IF YOU WANT TO TAKE SOME TIME OFF, THIS IS THE PLACE. DECIDING TO GO
Many places offer Ayurvedic treatments - most of which are rubbish..but this place, I can vouch for.
The Doctors who run the place - Dr Sreejit and his wife Dr Jaya are 2 of the most wonderful people I have ever met. They are dedicated to Ayurveda and the place offers real treatments. I was looking for a place to go to take some time off so I made calls to lots of places. All of them sent out a standard marketing email. With Athreya, Dr Sreejit actually wrote a personalised email to me asking lots of questions and trying to understand what I was looking for. When I spoke to him on the phone, I felt an instant connection and I knew in my heart that this was the place I needed to go.
TREATMENTS & RELAXATION
I was sceptical of “alternate” medicine but I think it’s important to have a balance. There are some things, Allopathy just can’t solve. I couldn’t believe it until I saw it for myself. He has not only studied Ayurveda but Allopathy as well giving him a holistic view of medicine.
Ayurvedic medicines require you to be vegetarian while you are on them since apparently meat interferes with it. However, the doctor has taken a practical view. If you need to be on medication after you leave, he doesn’t expect that you will completely change your lifestyle and he recommends that you cut it down while on medication (unless you are visiting for a very serious medical problem in which case, you will have to stay off it till the medicines are over).
They recommend that you come without your laptop. I took mine and (fortunately for me) it conked out in a few days so I couldn’t work..I had to just relax. I’m glad because that’s the reason I went there!! I met some lovely people (other guests) there from all over the world – India, Germany, Spain, France, Switzerland and Africa. They made my trip even more special and made the sightseeing trips worthwhile.
PERSONALISED TREATMENT – THE BEST PART
The staff was warm, cheerful and always ready to help. There are lots of places close by to visit by car like Alleppey - 2 hrs and Kumarakom - 1 hour. Athreya also arranges rides on country boats. In fact, the doctor accompanies us on several trips. He takes regular feedback from the guests every evening and you should feel free to give feedback as he takes great effort in ensuring people are comfortable. In Ayurveda, they believe that diseases and problems are caused by an imbalance of energies (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). The Doctor also makes a huge effort to understand the emotional root of health problems with the evening chats he has with patients. This is completely voluntary and not a paid service that they offer. I mentioned to him that I have a big fear of snakes (my heart stops when I see one even on TV!!) and he offered to do a day trip to the snake grooves not far from Kottayam, saying that this would help overcome my fear. Sadly, I didn’t have the stomach for it. It is so rare to meet doctors who put their heart and soul into healing people in every imaginable way. All I know is, My connection with Kerala and Athreya is not over. I am sure I will visit again..
If you ask me, I would trust them with my life.

OTHER TIPS
1) When you are done with your treatment check out the beef fry @ Indian coffee house and Fish fry on R Black island.
2) If you need to buy toiletries (went crazy looking for the stuff I wanted), go to Sugar and spice supermarket. They have some nice pickles and spices there that you might want to take back.
3) Don’t go to the beauty parlours in Kottayam town – no matter how badly you think you need it!!
4) If you need to swim, there is a place 4 kms from Athreya where you can pay to use the pool.
5) Some of the staff at the treatment centre speaks broken English so I recommend that you communicate using key words – it’s easier to get your point across and they understand perfectly well if your instructions are short and sweet.
6) The fresh pineapple juice at Athreya is awesome!
7) Take the airport pick up Athreya arranges – it’s their regular taxi service so they are perfectly safe.
8) Try the massage they give with their feet
9) There is a book shop in Kottayam city worth visiting if you want something to read
10) The Kerala cottage industry place (cant remember the name but its under Sugar and Spice) is worthwhile for gifts of all price ranges.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank IG01
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Athreya is a great resort for those seeking to experience healing of the body, mind and soul. The resort’s greatest assets are the ambience, the loving and friendly staff and the care and availability of Dr Sreejit. It’s scenic beauty and tranquil setting, together with practices of yoga brings calmness to one's soul. I cannot begin to describe how beautiful I find Athreya. Athreya puts a song in my heart...just waking up in the morning, breathing in the fresh clean air, listening to the sound of nature and looking at all the wonderful colours, it's heavenly. It is a place that feeds all of one's senses.

The therapists are very professional and go out of their way to carry out their duties while consulting the doctor and following his instructions to the letter. The admin, housekeeping and restaurant staffs too are very accommodating and friendly. I even got the opportunity to learn some of the local dishes from the chef and an Austrian traditional cake from one of the other guests.

Dr Sreejit was able to diagnose my condition and come up with a treatment plan even before I reached Athreya and was very prompt in his replies to my queries prior to the trip. From the beginning I realised that total healing was his main focus and for that purpose though the medicines were sometimes difficult to consume or restrictions were placed on the food, it was acceptable. By sharing our experiences with the other guests in the friendly atmosphere over meals, it was even enjoyable. I also had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people from different parts of the world, who were guests at the place during my 21 day stay there. Reading, walks, short visits to the town for shopping and playing board game (caram) were some of the activities we were involved in to pass our time. The internet facility also helped me stay connected to my family though work was the furthest from my mind.

Dr Sreejit’s recommendation of Ayurvedic medicine for my asthma attack while there not only cured me immediately but has improved my condition tremendously since. I am most impressed with the standard of treatment and medicines and the doctor’s availability even on weekends. It is indeed a place with a holistic approach to healing and the follow-up recommendations should be adhered to as far as possible. I am looking forward to my next visit there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank kj_jsm
Reviewed 14 August 2010

From the first point of contact to the last farewells, the Athreya's staff could not have been nicer. Not only did the medical personnel do everything they could to make my stay more comfortable, the atmosphere and the location were both inspiring and soothing. This family-run Ayurvedic Resort can be visited in complete confidence by anyone who wants skilled and attentive service and the chance to relax and recuperate. One of Kerala's dream destinations for the visitor who wants dedicated Ayurvedic treatments and a homely, comfortable environment.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
7  Thank NTraveller045
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
11 km away
12 km away
Kumarakom Lake Resort
Kumarakom Lake Resort
#4 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!