“THE MAGIC OF ATHREYA AYURVEDIC CENTRE”

and 1 more site!
Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed 15 September 2017

1. Preamble:
This is my second visit to Athreya. I was there last year for a period of four weeks. As I found the treatment very effective, exceptionally so in my case, I returned this year to Athreya, particularly to prepare for a Himalayan trip I was planning in August. So my treatment this time around focused specifically on my Himalayan trip, to help me be better prepared to take on this grueling journey. This is besides the usual detoxification programme that Ayurveda is really good at. This year, I was at Athreya for two weeks.

2. My assessment of the treatment:

(a) Medical

For a brief period of two weeks' treatment, I would say that they have done a remarkable job. I shed 4.5 kg and lost two inches from my waistline in just two weeks, making me much lighter, fitter, and more energetic for the trip. The medical team focused on increasing my lung capacity, strengthening my leg muscles and bones. Frankly, I am unable to evaluate the results of that particular aspect of my treatment in a scientific manner, but I felt much better, lighter, fitter and more energetic after the treatment. Again, the medical expertise of the Chief Physician, Dr Sreejit, was exceptional. I made a similar comment last year. I have yet to find an Ayurvedic doctor so committed in his craft and so knowledgeable. His adorable better half, Dr Jayalakshimi, provided able support in the treatment process and in ensuring that our stay at Athreya was comfortable. Athreya is fortunate to have a strong support team of therapists, whom we met several times a day. I would consider that I have met my personal goals for the treatment at Athreya.

(b) Facilities

Since my last visit, I saw that construction work was ongoing at Athreya this time. I was pleased to see the management taking concrete steps to further improve comfort levels at some of the chalets and treatment rooms. While this did impose some discomfort to some of us (as our chalets were located near to the construction works), one must excuse this slight discomfort as the objective was to benefit future patients.

(c) Meals

We had great Keralan vegetarian meals. The cook was an old lady, an experienced hand who can whip up a delicious meal. The meals were never boring, as the menu was changed at every meal. For an Asian, the meals were not overly spicy. A point to bear in mind though: during a certain part of the treatment, one takes a very restricted diet, not the normal meals the others take. Another tip: for those who crave salads at every meal, please inform the kitchen staff beforehand. They can cater to your dietary needs with the approval of the medical team.

(d) Yoga

The center has a certified yoga instructor who conducts yoga classes twice daily. He is good.

(e) General Comments

(i) The winter season (November-February) is normally oversubscribed. So book well in advance if you plan to come during that period.
(ii) The rainy season (June-August) is pleasant - not too hot, very green, and not oversubscribed. I was surprised that there weren't many mosquitoes this time around, The center provides a natural mosquito repellent with a strong, pungent smell. You may wish to bring your own repellents, however.
(iii) The downside - it rains, so your excursions (not encouraged during the treatment period) are curtailed.

Room Tip: The chalets facing the open paddy field are the best.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mohamad Reaz A

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Thank you Dr. Jayalakshmi, Dr. Sreejit and their fabulous staff. My third time back for the 21 days of Panchakarma - each time it gets better - the absolutely beautiful surroundings, the incredible treatments offered, and most importantly the dedication and sincerity of Dr. Sreejit.....a man who has the wisdom to listen, to understand, to heal. A must visit for anyone wishing to enrich their mind, body and spirit.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Persipops
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We spent there three wonderful weeks the second time.We are sure that we will visit the Athreya again.
Comfortable and clean rooms, wonderful ayurvedic vegetarian food!Very very kind an friendly staff. Well trained employees to do the treatments. Doctors well served to find solutions for any problem, the whole time I had confidence in Dr. Sreejit and the suggestetd treatments, had a lot of trouble and pain with a plantarfasciitis and now its completely gone! But even without speciall problems its always a good idea to do a Panchakarma and this place is the verybest therefore. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lissyunterwegs
Reviewed 10 September 2017

I had the opportunity to take some time off from work and spend 15 days at Athreya under the very careful supervision of Dr Sreejit.

My work involves long hours in the office and its very hectic and non stop....which takes its toll. Therefore, I've made it a habit of going for a detox holiday every couple of years and have visited a number of Ayurveda and Naturapathy places in India. I try to go to a different place each time I go for these detoxes.

After googling a few places and reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I came across Athreya and and got in touch with the Athreya team via their website who were very responsive. Their process involved screening me and my requirements in advance of any reservations and Dr Sreejit got in touch with me via WhatsApp to communicate what benefits could be achieved during my stay. It was great to see the transparency and honesty which is not very common in a number of other Ayurveda places I had been in the past.

After completing 15 days of treatment, it felt like I checked out as an upgraded version of myself i.e. me version 2.0. The experience I had was very authentic yet practical from the perspective of modern day life. Dr Sreejit explained all therapies to me in plain English in advance of the day of the treatment. He has a wealth of knowledge and whilst he is running a business, his first priority is for all guests to have an excellent and beneficial experience during their stay.

Keep up the great work Team Athreya, I'll certainly be back and will be sharing my experiences with all friends and family. Thanks for looking after me.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new block have beautiful views of the paddy fields
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank AnkitMadan
Reviewed 9 September 2017

ATHREYA AYURVEDA – Authentic , Traditional , Very effective - repeater endorses

If you are contemplating Panchakarma or in fact any kind of detox treatment for weight loss, curing stubborn ailments that does not respond to conventional medicines , this is this this is the place.!!

I consider myself privileged to be a beneficiary of ATHREYA AYURVEDA

what is spectcular and exceptional here are services of ATHREYA –spearheaded by Dr Sreejit – I have not enough words to praise him for his genuine interest in welfare of patients. His professional acumen Is impeccable .The attention to detail in EVERY department led by DR JAYALAKSHMI is marvelous to watch . Completely touched by the very hearty , yet professional services of the support staff of front office , kitchen , janitors.
At ATHREYA – its blend of western excellance and eastern excellance with very personal touch
You feel like you are a ‘guest’ and not a client

the cottages are fairly comfortable and basic but very clean

Most recommended atleast once in a life time

word of caution
Panchakarma is not for the faint hearted, it is a very intense detoxification that is incredibly effective and heavy on your body . Its one of the most hardcore detox experience I had in my life not just physically but mentally and emotionally too . but the benefits far exceed the expectations

Room Tip: new building is best
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank coolsamys1970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
11 km away
5.3 km away
Arcadia Hotel
Arcadia Hotel
#4 of 29 in Kottayam

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!