“5 Star Ayurveda doctors, therapy and service!”

and 1 more site!
Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed 29 August 2017

My stay (13 days) at the Athreya was my third stay for PanchaKarma due to stress and burnout (two in India and one in Sri Lanka). And they were all different.....

Ayurveda is a very broad term used about a health system very different from western medicine. There are limited regulations & standards and few approvals required. You should be aware of that the same treatment (eg Shirodhara) can vary from therapist to therapist and a herbal mix (eg Triphala) will vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. And then there are the con men and quacks who only want your money. Athreya is a safe haven in the jungle of Ayurveda......

Atreya is building on experience from 5 generations Ayurveda doctors and have found their own way of treating their patients. This is not a holiday resort, but a place to retreat and recover. The facility even includes a Kutee (an artificial cave for extreme solitude (special diet - no sound or light for 30 days or more ))- its one of five in India.The treatments are customized for each person based on consultation. You will have to fill out all details about your illness or reason for stay, and be prepared for a Skype consultation before your booking is confirmed. If they dont think they can help you, they will not treat you. Rather unique!

Be aware that some of the treatments are not pleasant, and that some commitment and stamina is required for completing the programs. The therapists are very supportive and will do anything to keep you as comfortable as possible. Altogether I had 65 different treatments during my stay, all of them good! Thank you Vinod and Ranjith!

The daily yoga at 05:45 was very relaxed and a splendid way to start the day. I even expanded the session with additional meditation on request (it was only me most days). If early mornings are not your thing, there is a session in the evening too.

My daily consultations with Dr Sreejit was the ultimate highlight and our discussions most enjoyable and helpful. When I left, I was filled with happiness (or maybe it was relief, for having completed the program.....). I felt de-stressed and energised, but I could also sense some fragility and vulnerability in everyday life. Maybe I became a better person?Now 10 weeks later I can still feel significant positive effects, especially related to my IBS which is completely gone....

My only complaint was the food, but this was improved after raising the issue. You should expect simple but good, tasty indian food. They do not serve food according to your dosha (pita, vatha...).

I also went to see the Pranic healer, which was a nice experience but I could not sense that it had any effect for me.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting the canal away from the stable is recommended
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Fjermestad T

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I spent time at Athreya doing 22 days Panchkarma followed by 14 days Kuti Pravesika Rasayana. Throughout my stay I was given great care and attention. The therapists assigned to me were very good and professional, the food was amazing, freshly cooked and healthy and the accommodation was good also. I would not hesitate to recommend Athreya and the doctors and all staff there. Five Star experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2017

A dear friend had visited Athreya last year and told me 'this is the best Ayurvedic centre'. I generally do not use such language myself to describe a place, but having spent a week there in March this year, I understand why she told me that. I confirm that this is an exceptional centre, in many ways.
Firstly, the location is excellent - calm, surrounded by nature, and yet only a short drive to Kottayam. The food is delicious, and prepared there. The accommodation is clean, and welcoming in its simplicity. The most important aspect for me was the professionalism of the doctors and the therapists. The individual attention given by Dr Sreejit was exceptional - true listening to what my particular issues were, a sense of caring that is rare to find and an openness to explore what treatments could be effective. I heard from other clients that Dr Jayalkshmi was also excellent. The regular progress checks to see how my body was responding to the treatments were reassuring. The fact that these checks covered more than the physical level was much appreciated - i.e. emotional, mental, spiritual levels given due importance.
On returning home, and now five months since my visit there, I can honestly say that my time at Athreya definitely helped me. Amazing to think that these results were after just one week. I now plan on visiting for a minimum of 10 days. Dr Sreejit has also been in contact to check on my progress since I returned home. How rare is that for a medical professional to want to and to take the time to do this.
My personal experience - given the hectic lifestyles of so many of us where we can often be racing around, in 'survival' mode, such an experience at Athreya can help put a healthier perspective on how we want to be.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank lindaorreaso
Reviewed 21 August 2017

I stayed for 10 days in February this year and have planned a new visit in October. This time for 14 days.
I arrived very tired and feeling heavy and left lighter both in weight and in my head. I quit meat and coffee during my stay. 6 months later I still haven't tasted either.
The surroundings are lovely. It´s remote but once you get there you have full days with treatments and relaxation. If you get restless you can visit th nearby little town or go on a back water trip.
The doctors and their staff closely follow each patient. I felt safe and taken care of through out the whole stay. I also met interesting people from all over the world and made new friends.
If you want to make a change in your lifestyle or just need a break I recommend Athreya.

Room Tip: There was no wifi in my room, but they provide free wifi in the reception. After a day or two you do...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank annaU4324PH
Reviewed 21 August 2017

The location is wonderful, the accomadation clean, very good standard. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, as well as the doctors. Dr Shreejit is very concerned about his client, I could fully trust him. He has a deep knowledge and makes the bridge between traditional Ayurveda into modern times. All in all in was an excellent experience and the aftereffect of the treatments lasts long.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
11 km away
5.3 km away
Arcadia Hotel
Arcadia Hotel
#4 of 29 in Kottayam

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!