“This hotel has gone downhill!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashraya International Hotel

Ashraya International Hotel
Ranked #280 of 649 Hotels in Bengaluru
London
“This hotel has gone downhill!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at the Ashraya hotel for two nights on the 24th and 25th of August 2011. We have been travelling on and off to Bangalore for nearly 18 years and have stayed many times at this hotel as we found the staff friendly and felt it was value for money. We have also taken groups of people there and some of the staff including the manager still remember us. However, over the years the rates have rocketed until they are now trying to overcharge for what is essentially a 2 to 3 star hotel. Our last experience was very poor as I felt that they wanted to charge for every little thing that they could. On the plus side the rooms are large. However there is no free internet, no fridge in the room, no Tea/coffee and no water provided let alone glasses. We are a family of four with a 9 year old and a 15 year old. We asked for an extra bed for our 15 year old child which they charged 1000 rupees for (including taxes) for. No problem with that. However on checkout they also charged nearly 1000 rupees extra for the 9 year old even though he didn't have an extra bed and had squeezed in with us! When I questioned this the manager said that they had charged for him as he was an extra person in the room and that he had had breakfast!! (My 9 year old hardly ate 50 rupees worth of breakfast). I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and this is a first for me. On previous occasions I have stayed there they have not charged for my kids unless an extra bed was requested. All in all the bill with taxes came to nearly 6,000 rupees (approximately £80 - £85) per night which I felt was a rip off. I have stayed at the Ashraya many times over the years and have recommended it to many friends. However, sadly, this is the last time I recommend this hotel to anyone and the last time I stay there.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

located in the heart of the city...one of the cheapest and best hotel to stay in this locality...

Enjoyed comfortable stay with all kind of facility available ...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

People who only looking for a central location yet want to compromise on quality of stay then you may go for this hotel . Not worth for the kind of tarriff they charge , especially in Bangalore. Restauant is terrible , Rooms are very bad.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bengaluru hotels

Hospet, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

The rooms are good , spacious with central control system for lighting and AC but there is no tea/coffee maker or a refrigerator in the room. Looking at the tariff that they charge, they could have provided these facilities as their room service menu is also expensive.No complimentary water bottle.

I stayed there for two days but the toiletries were not replenished on its own and it seemed that they are trying to save on the same. The menu in breakfast is also limited but the ambiance of their restaurant is good.

Room Tip: Go for a room facing road.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank mka003
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

Hotel was very good with excellent rooms, food and service. The only problem was on the 6th night when I returned to my room after a meal to find the bidet hose spraying all over the bathroom. The staff quickly sorted out and cleaned up, but a book I had been reading in the bath was soaked through and ruined. I asked them to try and dry it but explained it was a library book and if would probably require replaing. When I checked out 2 days later, the book was still sodden and I asked for the cost to taken off the bill. Then the fuss started, the manager over the phone refused to pay the for the book and in a heated argument said that I had broken the bidet hose and also that I should not have left the book in the bathroom. Every time I tried to reason with him, ie that I did not use the bidet hose etc he changed tack. Absolutley amazing, the desk staff apologised but the manager refused to budge.

Room Tip: Argue like hell
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business