All reviewsour honeymoonlunch and dinneroutdoor showerinfinity poolthe clifffishhall of fameoceanfront villasscuba divingowners and staffincredible viewsorganic farmstar qualityrainbow reefother guestscoastal walksworld class
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Taveuni Island Resort (TIR) is a dream destination. Extremely well thought out design by a couple who personally developed the property over many years. They built all the waterfront residences to exploit both views and privacy. Near impossible to find a design like this. We stayed here for our honeymoon.

The residences are very large. Ours had a private bedroom, a separate and huge great room along with a spa inspired bathroom. The bathroom had a separate water closet along with both a huge indoor and outdoor shower. The fixtures are luxurious and modern to include dual sinks. Plenty of outlets for hair dryers, shavers, etc (not always the case in many resorts in Fiji). The bedroom is wonderful. Canopy bed, air conditioned, huge windows/ doors if desired…. More than I can describe. The great room has huge doors throughout that can be opened for a huge breeze if desired. A stocked fridge with beer and other drinks is in each room and the prices were more than fair. Another nice feature is each residence has its own French press coffee maker. Not some little one cup press, but a four cup press (the owners’ overlook nothing). Fresh cream is also included with the coffee condiments. No pre-packed coffee here- it was so nice to enjoy premium coffee every morning sitting outside on the chase lounges. In closing about the residences- large, very private, luxurious and overall breathtaking.

Dining was wonderful. You have the choice of eating inside, on the waterview veranda or even in a private waterfront dining room. Nothing is rushed, everything is relaxing and easy. Dining times are broad, so no worry about arriving late for a meal. Large variety of items, we spent a week and never had the same item twice nor grew tired of the food. TIR has a nice lounge to have a cocktail before dinner. Casual yet very classy. The owners’ may be in the lounge beautifully saying hello to guests before dinner. It is a very special experience. Doe and Rick, the owners have that very special something and visiting with them is a treat.

TIR has a saltwater infinity pool. So beautiful, overlooking the ocean. First time I ever swam in a saltwater pool and it was great. Another little something (there are many at TIR) was next to the pool lounge chairs were low profile custom built tables that held drinks, books and anything else you can imagine. Yet these tables never block the view of anything and allow you to be close to you partner. Again- so many special details that one may or may not notice.

TIR took us out on their modern boat snorkeling. Simply wonderful. Modern boat, competent captain, knew the area extremely well. TIR also arranged a few day trips for us and they were great. TIR does not nickel and dime for activities (many are free) and the external ones that are not included at the resort are hosted by the best on the island and they charge no premium for this.

TIR seemed a bit out of our price range, but after a little analysis it was overall very affordable. As mentioned earlier- so much is included in the rate and you do not get nickeled and dimed. No hidden or surprise charges.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more details about TIR- I can’t endorse it an adequate amount in a review. Note that flying from the USA to Taveuni is very easy. In our case we woke up late (no 5 am wake up to catch a flight to Fiji- very nice), took a late afternoon flight from Chicago to LAX, checked in at LAX (not required because AA gave us boarding passed and routed our bags to Fiji but we checked in anyways), took a Marriott/ Renaissance hotel shuttle from LAX to the Renaissance hotel and enjoyed dinner (no charge for the shuttle), shuttle back to LAX, board the overnight flight to Fiji and sleep through the flight. Wake up in Fiji, change planes to Taveuni and arrive at the resort for breakfast. A long flight, but one sleeps through the flight and you arrive fresh and rested from the moment you arrive. Makes the trip a special value as you get a full first day.

If you want a destination of a lifetime find a way to stay at TIR. We could not have imagined how wonderful TIR was. Thank you Doe and Rick and the staff of TIR for providing such a special honeymoon location and experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Spent a too-fast week at Taveuni Island Resort and Spa. Went for the diving, but on the second day we decided to go back for the accomodations. Beautifully designed and appointed rooms and excellent food as well as a friendly staff ensured that we needed nothing more than the lovely views and excellent treatment afforded there (except for a couple of dives in the morning). I highly recommend it to anyone who has the means. If you don't...beg borrow or steal them.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2009

I'm not a resort type person. I like adventure travel. I like to get out and about - my last trip was to the Chittagong Hilltracts in Bangladesh, hiking through minority visitors with a police escort to make sure I didn't get kidnapped. So why was I at Taveuni Island Resort?

Because it is simply one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is serene and relaxing, but with spectacular diving, rainforests, bird life and waterfalls. The resort was tasteful, the food simple but delicious, and it was just so much better than the package resort holidays. Sure, I wasn't Nicole Kidman and I couldn't rent the island - but I met great people, I saw a lovely couple from Russia renew their vows in a traditional Fijian ceremony, and I heard tall tales from the welcoming hosts.

I don't normally like to go anywhere twice - but I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I can't say enough about this pristine paradise! From the moment we arrived at the Taveuni Island Resort (TIR) we were greeted with love and impeccable service.

The room we stayed in was the honeymoon bure which was off the chart! It had two master suites, a huge living room, and a spectacular deck overlooking the ocean.

The resort is perfect for couples, friends, or single travelers looking for a quite retreat or a fun adventure. The resort offers everything including a stunning infinity pool overlooking the ocean, outdoor activities like scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, boating, deep sea fishing, and eating! All of my favorite activities!

And speaking of eating......the food is AWESOME! They serve three meals per day with nothing but the freshest ingredients all beautifully presented by the gorgeous and friendly TIR staff.

The owners of the resort, Do and Rick go out of their way to make sure that your stay at their resort is all that you hoped it would be and more! They are fantastic people and their love for Taveuni and the islanders they employ are felt by everyone who vacations on their shores.

If you love to scuba dive, Do will arrange everything with a local dive company. They are the most adorable couple and will make your experience one to remember. The coral reefs in Fiji are none like I've ever seen!

This resort including the amazing views, the fantastic food, the relaxing atmosphere, the serene beauty, and the loving staff makes this one place you won’t want to miss!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2009

After researching for countless hours and considering almost every tropical destination in the world, my husband and I choose to stay at Taveuni Island Resort (T.I.R) on our honeymoon. Given the time of year and our desire to do more than just sit on a beach, we felt like Fiji and Taveuni Island were a good match for our 7-day vacation. The Trip Advisor reviews were very insightful and helped us decide on Fiji for our honeymoon destination. There are a few negative comments on some of the bad reviews that we don’t feel accurately represent the resort or it’s owners. As such, this review is intended to give you our most honest and helpful review of Fiji, Taveuni and the resort.

(1) THE ISLAND: Taveuni offers the perfect combination in an exotic location, of unique experiences and time to just unwind away from “our real” world. It’s important to note that you will get some rainy days in Taveuni, even if you go during the dry season. That said, the rain is often short lived and welcomed as it helps to cool off the temperature. We actually went on the 3 hour Lavena Coastal walk on a rainy day. We hardly noticed the rain because we were under the cover of the rainforest most of the time. If you have a longer vacation, there are some other beautiful places to see in Fiji (The Mamanucas and Yasawa Islands). A visit to the other islands would make a lovely compliment to a 5-day stay in Taveuni.

(2) THE RESORT: Taveuni Island Resort is a beautiful, well-manicured, peaceful and friendly haven amongst the rugged setting of the “Garden Island of Fiji.” You have your choice of being very social with the other guests or keeping to yourselves in your private Bure. The food is fantastic and so fresh. I suppose that you could find meals that are more gourmet in another country, but for Fiji, TIR’s food is extravagant. It’s all natural and almost entirely local. If you are looking for prime rib and caviar, this isn’t your place. However, if you want to experience true Fijian cuisine and you enjoy fresh ingredients (especially fish), this is definitely your place. There was a comment about bad desserts, but generally speaking I thought the desserts were just fine. There is actually a shortage of well-trained pastry chefs in Fiji, so the fact that they’ve found someone to do the job is impressive. Shifting gears... The pool at the resort is quite relaxing and beautiful. I had a wonderful massage from Maria at the spa (she was AWESOME), but we didn’t try any of the other services. Yes, the resort is expensive. However, I’m 100% positive it costs less than similar accommodations in North America or Europe. I’ve stayed in rooms that cost as much or more per night and they don’t include meals. Again, I really think it’s a matter of perspective. You’re not in Beverly Hills, you’re in Fiji.

(3) THINGS TO DO: There are plenty of interesting activities to do on Taveuni. We recommend the Lavena Coastal Walk, Buoma Waterfalls, snorkeling and scuba (if that’s your thing), sea kayaking and sport fishing. We were lucky and our boat reeled in 10 fish on our outing. The owners and locals were quick to remind us that ten fish is rare and most guests only come back with a couple. I guess we had beginners luck! We also enjoyed mass (in Fijian) at the Catholic Mission and the group BBQ on Sunday at Koralevu Island. If you’re only going snorkeling once on your trip to Taveuni, then save it for the BBQ on Sunday. That said, if you were going to skip an activity, I would skip the Koralevu BBQ. We found it to be a little anti-climatic, but that’s just our opinion.

(4) THE STAFF & OWNERS: We found the staff and the owners to be absolutely wonderful. We spent most of our time guided by Sai and he was wonderful about answering questions and informing us about the local culture. I’m sure he’s told the same stories a thousand times and he probably made up some things, but we thought it was wonderful regardless! Maureen fed us glass after glass of wine in the evenings and we thoroughly enjoyed the Fijian music, laughs and kava with the guys after dinner. You’ll see a couple of negative comments about the owner. Simply put, they are good people. Do is kind of like a mother figure, focused on keeping her guests happy AND safe... And Rick... well, he’s Rick. He is a good man, with a hearty laugh. He’ll tell you what he’s thinking, even if it’s at your expense. That said, he’ll make sure you’re safe and well-fed. The airline canceled our flight to Nadi from Taveuni because of technical issues and we ended up missing our flight back to the U.S. After my running back to T.I.R to see if they’d take us back in for the night, Rick rushed up to the airport to pick up my husband who was waiting to figure out how we’d get home. Rick and Do treated us like family and they were so gracious to move things around to accommodate us even after most of the staff had gone home.

THE LAST WORD:
Like I’ve said before, you have to remember that you’re going to a country with a different culture and a different lifestyle. The Fijian people, TIR’s staff, Rick and Do, treated us as special guests, but also as family. In your visit to Fiji, you’ll certainly see things that are a little different than how we live in the U.S., but remember that they are a very self-sufficient and helpful people. If you put your faith in them, you’re sure to have a fabulous experience!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple