“Better than advertised”

Taveuni Ocean Sports
Reviewed 13 September 2017

My wife and I have dove all over the world, Hawaii to Tahiti, the Caribbean Sea to the Red Sea and we can say without reservation that the diving at the Rainbow Reef off of Taveuni is the best in the world. On our fourth trip to Taveuni we had the pleasure of diving with Taveuni Ocean Sports and we are confident in saying that they are the best dive operation on Taveuni and likely the best in the world. We did 20 dives and each one was great. There are a least a dozen dive sites that should all be rated as world class, The Great White Wall, The Purple Wall, The Zoo, and Rainbow's End stand out in our minds. There is a reason they call it The Rainbow Reef, It's the soft coral, considered the best in the world. From brilliant white to deep purple, every color in the rainbow is there. In addition, there is an amazing diversity of hard corals, sea whips, and fish of every size, shape, and color. Our senses were overwhelmed peering out at a scene of beautiful corals and thousands of fish of every imaginable type. In addition to the reef fish, we saw large tuna, Spanish mackerel, schools of barracuda and jacks, Napolean Wrase, turtles, sharks, sea snakes, and rays. Our favorites were leaf fish, clown fish, clown trigger fish, sweet lips, blue ribbon eels, huge parrot fish, and tiny pipe fish.

But the quality of the dive sites is not the reason to choose Taveuni Ocean Sports, it's the quality of the dive staff. The head dive master and owner Julie has assembled the most friendly, professional, gender and culturally diverse, dive staff we have ever encountered. One of the reasons that the diving is so good is the current. It provides the food source for the reef system and is a necessary ingredient for soft corals. As a result it is very important that the dive staff understands how the currents affect the reef. When the current is right, the soft corals literally bloom. The staff knew exactly when to dive each site based on the current. In order to fully experience the Rainbow Reef you need to dive for a week or more. During our dive intervals the staff gave a lecture on the types of fish we were seeing, and how the current affected the reef. They also taught us about reef conservation and empowered us to be advocates for the ocean.

The diversity of the people we met on the boat, from dive staff to guests was awesome. We all shared one thing in common, love for the ocean. The short trip to the dive sites (less than 30 minutes), and surface intervals, were filled with interesting conversations, and connection as human beings. We were thrilled on the trip to the dive sites to see pods of dolphins, a Humpback whale and calf, and a large marlin repeatedly jumping for joy.

Diving with Taveuni Ocean Sports is more than just something to do while you are in Fiji, it is a vacation in it's self, and a reason to make the trip to Fiji. The Fijian people are just great, friendly helpful, and full of love. The woman's touch is evident in the operation of this dive shop, and all the little things that make it very special were appreciated by both of us. We are already planning our next trip to this tropical paradise.

Our sincere thanks,

in 13 reviews
"soft corals"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about this dive shop. I felt so well taken cared of. They really do a thriving business. I think their reputation proceeds them. I always felt like they had my diving experience in mind, as they allowed me to have a dive worthy of the level that I was at. I would especially recommend Maika as dive master.....such a reverence for the sea. And I learned a lot as well. One of the dive masters usually does a talk during the surface interval on the history and ecosystem of the rainbow reef. Fascinating!

1  Thank amy085
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Such a beautiful diving site. Coral garden was so amazing and fantastic. Current was a little bit strong but it was not any trouble to enjoy the diving.
Julie and crews are so supportive and well organized. Especially dive masters are so friendly and professional. Thanks to Maika for great diving with me.
You can definitely enjoy your diving with Taveuni Ocean sports.

1  Thank ahjis
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Fabulous day out on the boat and enjoying Somosomo strait. We experienced two sites. The crew were very knowledgable and interesting. We were all so well looked after.

1  Thank Helene B