SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort
Official Hotel
Jaz Aquamarine Resort(Hurghada)
USD 160*
  • Pool
Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna(El Gouna)(Great Value!)
USD 210*
Sheraton.com
USD 111*
Hotels.com
USD 97*
USD 86*
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
The Grand Plaza Hotel - Hurghada(Hurghada)(Great Value!)
USD 81*
USD 38*
TripAdvisor
SENTIDO Palm Royale(Hurghada)
USD 164*
USD 137*
USD 104*
3,904 results
All reviewsrainbow restaurantpool barmasalafish restaurantanimation teama la carte restaurantsroyal breakfastpool suitemain restaurantguest servicesbeach restaurantspecial mentionprivate beachgreat holidayspecial thankssunday roastfantastic hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Had a fantastic week at the hotel we rented 2 of the suites on the private beach, one with a pool and the other for my daughters with a jacuzzi, it was probably the best resort i have been to, the rooms were spotless, the beach perfectly clean, the staff exceptional, the choice of food was very good, AI is definitely the way forwards, the transfers and check in were very efficient and the fact the liggage was taken to the suites, furthest away from reception! while they transferred the bags we were offered cold towels, fresh drinks and had dinner while we were checked in, the whole experience was fantastic, the only down side was the flight, Thomas Cook cant organise a p*ss up in a brewery, we booked and paid extra for our seats for both flights and didnt get either, we requested 2 extra legroom seats and 2 directly behind for our daughters, i had just competed 2 x long haul flights back from South Africa via Dubai and hoped i had a stretch out seat to at least relax in, again nothing, the local rep tried his best, well done to Moustafa, gave me a full refund, in cash at the resort, will definitely go back but will find another way to get there. I woudl thoroughly recommend the resort to anyone who wants a relaxing hotel with excellent service

Room Tip: if you want a very special experience book a suite, rooms 700 up, we had 712 and 713 directly above
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
crystalbayresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear Mr. Ainsley,
Thank you so much for sharing your positive impression on your stay in our hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your family vacation and had fantastic time.
All the team will be happy to welcome you and your family back home in SENTIDO Crystal Bay Resort.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Before I booked this hotel I was reassured by Thomas cook that this resort was outstanding...I consulted trip advisor and the reviews said the same,all I can say is these reviewers have obviously never been in a genuine 5 star all inclusive hotel!! The resort is good..nice layout,nice beach but that's where it ends.The pool area is ruined by the loud obnoxious music the animation team insists on playing,it was totally ruined for me however when an Arab lady lifted her skirts and took a crap on the steps into the pool....it was never cleaned.
The buffet was disgusting...same rubbish every night,4 dishes a night were 'themed' but otherwise you were eating the same thing day in day out.Restaurant food was lovely...service however was slack,25 mins before I was asked if I wanted a drink..then they never brought it.
Drinks were a limited selection & you can guarantee they were warm & flat.they had facilities for draft but didnt bother...surely you can afford fridges!!
They had several bars....but none were ever open,only the sports lounge & lobby.what let's this hotel down also is a lack of thing to do on an evening..all there is is a dodgy club singer to accompany your warm flat drinks.why no beach BBQ or pool parties?? Anything!!!
Rooms were spacious and crawling in ants,management weren't interested in this...I really did have ants in my pants!!!
The final straw tho was the constant power cuts,no apologies were issued for several nights we were plunged into darkness.this resulted in no air conditioning...in your room or in the hotel,in 44. Degree heat this is not acceptable & then to be told they had run out of bottled water..a basic human need?? A strongly worded letter to Thomas cook will ensue.
Both myself & my partner were ill as were most people you spoke to,not suprising due to the hotels lack of basic hygiene standards.
Do yourself a favour and don't book here..you will be bitterly disappointed if you do.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Elvislolabear
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed at the Sentido Crystal Bay from 19th June to 3rd July 2012 travelling with Thomas Cook. We arrived at the hotel at around 9.50pm and unlike other reviewers experiences, we were not sent straight into dinner. In fact we did not get dinner. We had to endure a painfully slow check-in procedure and did not get to our room until around 10.30pm. Our bags were soon delivered.

We were initially rather disappointed in the room. The bathroom was tiny. It had an enormous wash hand basin set on to the counter top which left absolutely no room for toiletries but worse of all was the lavatory. It was sectioned off from the bathroom and had a transparent glass door. The purpose of this door was impossible to discover as it made a small space even smaller. When the door was opened it whacked against the loo unless you were very careful.
However, the beds were very comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean. I am sure if we had asked we could have changed rooms but we decided we liked the location and stayed put.

The room cleaner did an excellent job and practically everyday we had the most amazing towel art. The towels were fresh everyday and we always had plenty of water. There was a kettle with tea and coffee but no milk. I had read about the lack of creamer on Trip Advisor so we took some Nescafe sachets with had coffee and creamer with us. Yulia (guest relations) said we could ask for milk at the bars but we were happy enough with our sachets.

As I say, we did not get dinner but there were some small sandwiches in the lobby bar so we had a couple of those and a drink before going back to the room and unpacked.

After this rather iffy start, the only way was up. Breakfast was served in the buffet restaurant and we were very well looked after by Adel for the duration of our stay. He is a credit to the hotel and a very nice guy. We particularly liked the fact that the restaurant is not one big canteen-like room but divided into intimate area by glass walls. Nice idea. We enjoyed all the meals we had in the buffet both at breakfast and dinner. There was often a barbeque in the evening and each night had a different theme.

We ate lunch everyday at the beach restaurant. You can order from the menu which was stuff like burghers and pizza but that is not to my taste. There was always a selection of buffet food plus two types of soup. What I especially enjoyed with the tagines which were earthenwear pots warmed by charcoal and each day there were four different ones to chose from. They then changed each day. Delicious.

We did not suffer any tummy upsets at all. We did make copious use of the hand sanitizer we brought with us. I believe it is not the food which caused illness but other guests lack of personal hygiene. We always sanitized our hands after handling the serving utensils in the buffets. This is my fourth trip to Egypt and using this method (plus common sense regarding sun and over-indulgence) we have stayed well.

We went to the Mediterranean restaurant but were not overly impressed. Probably the poorest meal we had all holiday. We went twice to the Asian restaurant at the Mamlouk and loved that. The Indian was also very enjoyable and we regretted that we left it late in the holiday to try it as we would have gone again if there had been time. We had no trouble reserving tables at the a la cartes either using the touch screen or having it done for us by Susan, the other guest relations lady.

The service at the Crystal Bay was superb. As two women travelling together, we were always treated with courtesy and respect. The pool boy reserved our "camp" for us every day even though it was not really necessary as there were loads of sunbeds. The weather was very hot during our holiday so we made full use of the pools. We are not particularly fond of cocktails but the vodka, red wine and beer were very palatable. We loved the coffee machine at the beach bar and enjoyed many a cappuchino whilst dangling our feet in the pool. Bliss!

The last part of my review is the hardest to write. During the last few days of our break, there was a large influx of Egyptian guests. Up to this point, the guests were a mix of many nationalities and everyone was polite and pleasant. Most of the new arrivals were fine but a significant minority were awful. They were noisy and rude and acted as if they were the only ones in the hotel. Their behaviour by the pool was dreadful. The children were feral and totally out of control. On two evenings, a child was riding round and round the lobby at 11pm on a scooter whilst another was racing around firing a toy gun. This was at 11 o'clock at night. This is unacceptable in a supposed 5* establishment. Why did a member of management not put a stop to it? The same girl was riding the scooter in the buffet which apart from any other consideration is simply not safe.

To sum up, we had a brilliant holiday at the Crystal Bay. I have been twice to the Premier Le Reve which for this same two weeks would have been £400 each more expensive. Apart from the room, the Crystal Bay was a match for the dearer hotel. We only showered and slept in the room so it did not matter so much. Yulia and Susan were charming and helpful as were all of the staff. I would return in a heartbeat but I do think management should consider their policy towards local guests and allowing women access to the pools whilst full dressed. We found this to be particularly shocking as it is so alien to our culture. They were not wearing dedicated swimming robes but just their ordinary clothes. Surely this presents hygiene issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the door on the loo!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsKris

Dear Mrs. Kris,

We would like to thank you for sharing your holiday experience.
We are very pleased that you had great time with us. It is also good to know the points where we can improve ourselves – all your comments and suggestions will be forwarded to corresponding departments for further actions.
All the team will be looking forward to welcoming you back home in SENTIDO Crystal Bay Resort to make your next stay as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Me and my wife just had a ten day stay.was really looking forward to staying here after reading the reviews and rating on trip advisor.the hotel was pretty good on first appearance.pools were great.private beach and not too busy.perfect for just chilling out.room was great.beds comfy.shower good and tv great.unfortunately that's where the good ends.the 'themed' buffets!!!!no way.the same old tripe,regurgitated every night.on Egyptian night there was a BBQ.from 19:00 till 22:00..by 20:15 they'd run out of food on the BBQ!not bad for a hotel that runs on 60% capacity.the restaraunts served nice food but the service was questionable.drinks wise I was so grateful that they have jack daniels at the lobby bar and the two guys serving we're great.BUT,....the beer is served from cans.there's no fridges so it's warm.your lucky if you get a fresh can because at least it's fizzy,but call me unlucky.i and others always seemed to get an open can.flat warm beer isn't pleasant in 40degrees.the same went for diet coke.bottled and flat and warm.the water was mostly warm apart from at the pool bar.for the last 4days of the holiday the hotel was plagued by power cuts which in turn meant no air con.we had 14 blackouts in one night alone.on the last day we got a late checkout(16:00)got to the lobby and had to sit with no air con.had to get case and get changed as the clothes I had on we're drip wet with sweat.to top it off,went to lobby bar for water to be told they'd run out of it?!?!this hotel needs to make some changes.not big ones but they do need addressing.i think a bit of money spent on fridges and more staff.more variety at the buffet,there are English here as well as Russian and Arabic.the entertainment was tragic.and why not throw a beach and pool party on alternate weeks?overall all I can say is this is not 5star hotel and certainly not 5star service.from the amount of good reviews I can only assume these people have never stayed in a proper 5star hotel let alone seen one!!one final note,there was a lot of stomach problems and several people were witness to 'big brown shark' in the swimming pool.look up Eddie murphy if your wondering what that is,you'll have a giggle:)a clue thought.starts with s.ends with t....whichs just about sums sentido up for me

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Rickmiah

Dear guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for your detailed feedback about our resort. However, we are very sad to read that you didn’t enjoy your holiday. Your comments have been forwarded to our department heads for improvement.
Unfortunately you didn’t contact the hotel management or Holiday Concierge to help you with any problems.
We hope that we can welcome you again and can change your mind about our resort.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was our first visit to Egypt. We were shown to our room by a very friendly porter, room 335 with an amazing sea view, BUT, the walk to reception is atleast a mile & takes about 15 mins to get anywhere near the main part of the hotel. It is also quiet scary at night as the hotel is not the best lit. Room was extremely spacious and is supposed to be cleaned everyday, however there was a hair in the seat of the shower (which wasnt mine) which remained in the same place for 2 WEEKS...

Food is okay, not much variety at all and they definitely cater for the russians & germans more than the english. We just lived off chips, prawn crackers and rice. I got an upset stomach within the 3rd day & had to go the pharmacy over the road which put me on 500mg of tablets 3x a day. I was ill for a week and a half. My partner also got an upset stomach in our second week. I presume it was the food as we always sanitised and washed our hands and only drank bottled water.

The majority of staff are extremely rude. They come to take your food and drink order & dont even listen to you, and you get a drink you didnt even ask for. Listening to other people this happened to them, one english man asked for a beer and got given a coke.. Say no more..On our first day we went to the beach bar and it took us about 20 minutes to try and get them to explain what was actually on the menu. They dont even crack a smile or say thankyou. They also allow germans to push in front of you in queues which is extremely annoying. We also had trouble identifiying what drinks were available at the beach bar and in the main bar, they do not tell you, they just stare at you and expect you to know what drinks they stock.

However, there are a few staff like Ramadan the cleaner, Yousif at the bar, Mohamed in the main resturant and Sameer at Reception who were extremely attentive and helped us with everything throughout our stay.

We went to the Indian Resturant twice and the Mediterranean once. The Indian is much nicer and has less strange things on the menu. You can sit outside or inside and it is very relaxing. Meals come out really quickly and you find a 3 course meal takes about half hour. Although, I only eat very little at a time, and I had 2 members of staff asking 'why I havent eaten my food' 'why dont you like it?' 'it took our chefs ages to cook that what is wrong with it' when I was in both resturants which I found really rude and upsetting, and it ruined my meals.

The hotel itself is extremely clean, there are always Garden staff and Cleaners doing little bits around the hotel.

We thought the beach was amazing, the sea is clean and clear, and there are lots of jellyfish throughout the day which do shock you when your trying to relax in the sea.. I can assure you that they dont sting and little 3 year olds pick up and play with them. The pool is not as good, you get people trying to sell you things even if you have a red flag which is really annoying if you are trying to relax! There is no entertainment apart from music and Water Polo which is loud and irritating if you are sat by the pool they play it in.
We did however get a beach cabana which I really would reccommend, they give you some privacy and are comfortable. These cost about £19 for a day. However, we did find that people would come and sit on cabanas which were not taken for FREE, and they would get away with it. There is no-one checking weather people have paid which is extremely annoying as we forked out for it.

The only shops near are the shops opposite which are extremely intimidating, they practically shunt you in and follow you around. The best shop by far is Cleopatra Bazaar and we did all of our gift shopping there.. The men are extremely helpful.

When you go outside the hotel you are immedietly harrased by taxis trying to give you lifts everywhere, people beep at you constantly.. It can get extremely annoying. We even had one man offering us a 'free lift' and practically tried to get us into the car.

We went to Giftun Island (Mayhma) twice which was absolutely amazing! I would reccommend it to anyone! It costs £55pp and includes lunch and transfer. It is literally paradise, the snorkelling is amazing and you see lots of different fish.

Personally, I wouldnt come back to Egypt or the Hotel again just because of the attitude of some of the staff and how ill we were.

Room Tip: Email reservations before hand and ask for a pool or sea view room. They will give you a really nice room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cresswell3

Dear guest,

We are very sad to read that you didn’t enjoy your holidays in our resort but would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience.
Unfortunately you didn’t approach anybody from the management or Holiday Concierge about your dissatisfaction so we would have been able to solve your comments on the spot. Maybe a room closer to the main building would have been more convenient for you.
We daily cater for more than 15 nationalities with an international buffet. We have a wide variety of choice and 2-la-carte restaurants to choose from. It is unfair to blame the resort for your claimed illness, especially when you didn’t inform us about it and didn’t even seek medical attention from our clinic. We have a good hygiene program implemented in our resort which is daily inspected by the hotel management and monthly audited by the Cristal Company Middle East for hygiene.
On all bars we have menu for food and drinks where the guests can choose from and all guests / nationalities are treated equal, we do not make preferences and our staff is well trained on this subject.
We have a daily entertainment program for the daytime with different sports activities as well as evening time with different shows.
There is well controlled system in place for the beach cabanas and we can assure you that nobody occupies the cabanas that hasn’t paid for it.
Nevertheless we hope to be able to welcome you once more in our resort to show you our improvements.

The Hotel Management.