“Lovely people but a few niggles”

Le Meridien Dahab Resort
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Brighton, England
“Lovely people but a few niggles”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I like Egypt very much and have been there more than a dozen times for business and pleasure but it was my first time staying in Dahab. The Meridian is quite nicely designed, with every room having some sort of view of the sea. The cut-out quotes in various elements of the architecture and fittings aren't quite my thing but in the right places they cast some interesting shadows.

Our bedroom was spacious and everything worked. My wife was pleased to see a hand-held shower for the bath - a lot of places don't put one in, so women can't just wash their hair (which I have learnt is important). I was pleased to see a shaving mirror. We were both delighted that the climate control system really was one and not just an air cooler. That's because when we went, it was quite windy. That meant that after a swim, we become distinctly chilled (as in blue fingers chilled), so a blast of warm air was welcome. Other plus points - bath robes included, hair dryer effective, reasonable smellies and hair stuff in little bottles, linen and towels changed when you want, spotless housekeeping.

The staff could not have been better, attentive when you needed something, chatty when you wanted a chinwag, discreet when you wanted to be alone. The pool attendants went out of their way to ensure we had a place in the shade. The hotel's masseur is excellent and great value by European terms. Give it a go. Expect an hour to cost around €33-55 and talk to him directly. For some reason, it's cheaper to book with him direct rather than through the front desk. I have no idea why, given that the bill goes on your room anyway.

Food - breakfast is the standard international buffet and none the worse for that. The egg chef is nice and prepares them any way you like. Beef bacon takes some getting used to but the cats (there are several, very friendly and seem well looked after) like it well enough. We ate at the hotel only once. That night it was another buffet, not terribly exciting or adventurous but well cooked. In comparison to meals you can buy down the hill in Dahab, it was very expensive. I'd recommend getting the hotel minibus down to town each evening and doing an explore. That's free but book at the front desk to ensure a place.

Now for the minor niggles. Broadband is expected free from all hotels nowadays. I've stayed in tiny, remote places and there's been free broadband. And there is at the Meridian - if you know about it. Go to the reception area (which is vast) and you can log on at no charge. The trouble is, nobody tells you about this unless another guest lets you in to the secret. What is pushed is the USD25 a day service for WiFi elsewhere in the hotel. I asked the front desk why people weren't told about it and he said that guests are supposed to be told when they arrive. It would be good if that actually happened.

The hotel has five swimming pools, which is excellent, and they are big ones. The slight problem is that they don't look too clean, as in difficult to see the bottom clean, and while we were there at least, no pool bots were in evidence. I was told that they were cleaned every now and again by men in dive gear with scrubbing brushes and wire wool. I might be fussy but I like swimming in pools where the bottom isn't murky. Perhaps I'm over-sensitive.

And if you like your drink, be prepared to pay through the nose. A bottle of mineral water (the tap water is salty and undrinkable but fine for cleaning teeth) costs EGP15 (about £1.60) and you're going to get through a lot of them when it's hot. Buy downtown at EGP2-3 instead. Same goes for wine. In the hotel, it's EGP300 for a bottle of Egyptian wine (which has come on well in recent years and is now not bad at all), compared to EGP70-85 down the hill.

Given that most restaurants in Dahab do not have licences and are BYOs, this is a no-brainer. You'll get better food at cheaper prices and can bring your own drink. The town, if you are a nervous traveller, is perfectly safe, so do go out and about. The pester level is low and the banter often funny. For good eating, I'd recommend Essence (back from Dahab's bridge to the right, up some steps to a hotel) which is excellent. Try also the Thai at the blue house (turn left at the bridge, about 100 yards down the road on the left) and even the dubious-sounding Al Capone's. Their greeter was most persuasive and we were hooked when we said we'd eat there if we could get good mezze, which was not on the menu. No problem, he said, and it wasn't. Excellent mezze arrived with super flatbreads.

In a nushell, nice hotel, terrific staff and nothing so bad to put you off. It's an easy place to stay, relatively inexpensive and overall good value, if you avoid extraneous charges. I might well go back.

Room Tip: They are all much of a muchness - go for the cheapest unless you really want a suite. All have sea v...
3 Thank KennyKoala
LeMeridien1937, Director of Rooms Division at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear KennyKoala

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, as it helps us to continue to improve our service so that we may reach our guests expectations. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding not being informed about the free internet access in the hotel lobby and the pool cleanliness. Your comments have been forwarded to the department concerned to ensure it will not happen again in the future. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Le Méridien Dahab in the near future.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton UK
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Definitely the best in Dahab. Lovely position, large and comfortable rooms, interesting architecture, great views, immaculate grounds and, if you hunt around for a deal, excellent value. Breakfast good, staff throughout fantastic – nothing was too much trouble but they weren't not intrusive.

Now for the ...buts...But the WiFi is a rip-off, as is the water and you could have two meals for two at one of Dahab's more expensive restaurants for the price of one evening buffet (food's fine but nothing to write home about – try the beach restaurant during the day too). Plus the pools were grubby and the gym contains an ornamental exercise bike, two deflated Swiss balls, a par each of 0.5 k and 1k weights and several paper-thin mats, which isn't a lot of use. The cross-trainer works, though. Oh, and watch out for the surrounds on the beds, which are blond wood and have sharp, pointed corners that tend to get hidden under bedclothes. I had a severely bruised ankle by the end of the week.

Here's some useful info that the hotel don't give you:
1. You can piggy-back the hotel WiFi for free in reception, instead of paying $25 a day.
2. They run a free shuttle bus down to Dahab at 8.30 and back at 10 but you need to book (probably better to get a cab one way as this doesn't leave you much time to eat – the fare should be c£30 Egyptian, or around £3UK – ask to be dropped at the bridge and walk towards the sea).
3. Almost all restaurants are BYO – ask for an off-licence on the strip (they have them whichever way you turn) and buy wine, beer, water, whatever (take loads of water back to the hotel, paying about £2 Egyptian for a large bottle instead of £16 in the hotel).
4. Essence just before the bridge on the right is excellent. The Thai if you turn left is good. Almost everywhere does good fish and salads, burgers, steaks and so on. There's also an Indian, a Thai and several good Italians. Bizarrely, the only thing we couldn't find was Middle Eastern food – I think they think tourists won't like it – but there are little take-aways if you look, with roast chicken, salad, great falafel and more. Cheap as the proverbial chips, which you can get too.
4. Poseidon Divers has two bases at the hotel, one diving and one watersports, both good and reliable. I'd do that rather than taking pot luck elsewhere if you want to dive or snorkel. You can buy a cheap mask, snorkel and fins in Dahab rather than eat up your baggage allowance, or hire everything.
5. The Kids' Club compound is fab for families and also contains the gym and a games room with ping pong (top marks for supplying lots of new balls) and a snooker table.
6. If you are allergic to or frightened of cats, this is not the hotel for you. They have quite a few, who lounge around in reception and beg politely at breakfast. All friendly, glossy and happy but they might not appeal to you.

3 Thank Kate Russell
LeMeridien1937, Director of Rooms at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Kate Russell

It truly is a great pleasure to read your enthusiastic comments. Your feedback is highly appreciated and we are delighted to read you enjoyed you stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to our Le Meridien Dahab Resort

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Le Meridien is regarded by many as the best hotel in Dahab, and we booked on the basis of this fact, and the glowing reviews it has received on this site. Yes, the rooms are beautifully appointed (we had a superior room with sea view) and the staff fall over themselves to make your stay relaxing and problem free. The resort was practically empty; I don't know if this is a factor of the current economic climate, the perceived security problems or if the season hadn't properly "kicked off", but his means that the staff have very little to do and they can take time to ensure the guests are properly looked after. The "frontline" staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble...keep tipping and you'll get the red carpet treatment.

So far, so good.

I'm a well travelled businessman and frequently stay in 4 and 5* hotels the world over. I've come to expect a certain level of service and comfort. As a business owner I've learned over the years that when things go wrong the golden rule is not to hide in your office and let your troops take the heat...listen to the problems and sort them out, that's what you're paid for. My first problem with the hotel is that the Spa centre that is advertised, on their own and other websites, to be finished in autumn 2011 is still nowhere near complete and the level of noise and disruption experienced on the private beach is un-acceptable. This was pointed out to the staff on reception who passed our concerns onto the management...and nothing happened. Our relaxing beach holiday was ruined by drilling, banging and shouting emanating from the building site. We received no explanation, no apology and no offer of any form of compensation from management, they just kept out of our way. This is not acceptable in a 5* hotel.

Other small details. The jacuzzi has about as much fizz as a bottle of flat, warm Coke. Get it fixed. The internet in the public areas is so slow it's like being back in the dial-up age and the $25 per day charge for this (painfully slow) service in your room is tantamount to highway robbery. Every bar/restaurant in the town has wi-fi for free because it attracts customers...it's called marketing. I'm on holiday but I need to keep up with my business affairs, free internet will be a major factor in my hotel selection in future.

To end on some positive notes, the massage guy is fantastic...use him, I was a new man the next day! Dahab is a fantastic place to visit, away from the over-commercialisation of Sharm el Sheikh and the package tourist hordes it has so much to offer. Don't let the political unrest bother you, these people want tourists to come and visit them and the high level of security is for your benefit. Go for the watersports and relaxation but take advantage of the welcoming hospitality to see a bit more of what they have to offer. I will be going again, but I'll be staying in a beautiful little 7 room hotel I've found...not 5* but it's quiet and they have free high speed wi-fi in every room. I won't tell you what it's called because I don't want too many people to go there and ruin it...it's out there, find it for yourself, it will be much more rewarding.

Room Tip: Must have a sea view.
2 Thank CavemanRacer
Dear CavemanRacer

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, as it helps us to continue to improve our service so that we may reach our guests expectations. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding the noisy of the Spa work. Your comments have been forwarded to the department concerned to ensure it will not happen again in the future. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Le Méridien Dahab in the near future.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A wonderful hotel in a wonderful place. The room is big, the jacuzzi is amazing. The highlight is the bar in the private beach. Loved the place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
LeMeridien1937, Director of Rooms Division at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Bventuri

We look forward to welcome you back to our Le Meridien Dahab Resort

Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel, repeatedly described by locals as the best hotel in Dahab. The place is absolutely stunning - sympathetically & beautifully designed by a brilliant architect and the layout is superb. Nothing is over a storey high and it is so spread out I doubt it would feel crowded even if full. Our (deluxe) room was absolutely beautiful, as were all the public areas, restaurants and the pools. It's very open plan and as a result of which there are a number of gorgeous little Egyptian cats around who were delightful. Breakfast was excellent with an egg chef ready to make you eggs or omelettes of your choice, plus some other cooked items, waffles, cakes & pastries, fruits & yoghurt, cereals, breads and cheeses and wonderful fresh juices.
For evening meals we found the restaurants to be expensive and not quite up to scratch where the food was concerned. This wasn't a problem for us as we preferred to eat in the lovely Dahab town anyway where El Fanar was one of the absolute highlights of our trip - by far the best restaurant in Dahab with wonderful food, incredible staff and a fabulous ambience.
Regarding Dahab itself, having travelled all over the world I have never been so overwhelmed by the warm hospitality of people as I was here in Dahab. The Egyptians were astonishing in their generosity and warmth and we loved it. If you are thinking of doing any tours (canyons, Petra, bedouin dinners etc) I cannot recommend Lady Egypt enough. They were organised, easy to deal with and their guide Ahmed was the best guide we have had anywhere in the world. Dahab Divers were excellent for my husband who loves to dive, and much more reasonably priced than the diving offered by the 5* hotels.
Le Meridien was simply stunning and the staff are delightful. This hotel is now in my top 3 worldwide!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are on the sea front with beautiful private outdoor showers as well. Worth the upgrade!
4 Thank BabyBlueLou
Dear BabyBlueLou

It is truly a great pleasure to read your enthusiastic comments. Your feedback is highly appreciated and we am delighted to read you enjoyed you stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to our Le Meridien Dahab Resort.