“Good but..”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 21st & Dune Drive
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I have lived in Jersey for over 40 years and I never go to the Jersey shore, never! I have travelled to over 50 countries on vacations so i have been around but my impressions of the Jersy shore was ruined by visits to Atlantic City and Asbury Park many years ago. I just spent 4 days in a house in Sea Isle City with my wife, son, daughter in law and two toddler grandsons and really enjoyed it! To celebrate my daughter in laws birthday we went to Diving Horse in Avalon. First, Sea isle city is very nice. Our house was great, beautiful actually. AValon seemed to be a little more upscale. We were met at the restaurants by daughter in laws dad and his wife. So 6 adults and two toddlers. Restaurant was nice but unimpressive. It remined me of several seafood chains i have been to. Staff was very nice, pleasant and informative. Menu is small, eight "starters" and about as many entrees. Among the group we had, pork chops, eggplant, halibut, seared tuna and chicken for the kids. There was no kids menu but they got us chicken fingers and fries for the three year old. Food was good with interesting pairings with entrees but my wife who had fish but didnot want one of the items paired with it had to get permission from the kitchen for a change. So choices are limited. It is not a mix and match placd, Non of us thought anything we had was not good. The problem was that the items were not great.Three of our group have been there several times over the years. They all said everything was "good" but not " that good." It is a BYOB place. We knew that and brought multiple wines and champagne. Each wine was handled well by the staff. Buckets,glasses etc were all supplied. The bill with tip for 6 adults and i toddler ( one still on formula). Was just under $500. Remember, no drinks. My porkchop was a little overdone and that seemed to be the biggest problem. I thought it was a little steep in price, not rediculous but high.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

The staff was very gracious and accommodating. We were a family of 3 adults and 3 children. The outdoor setting was lovely. Many flowers surrounding the tables and gorgeous arrangements on the table.

The food more than lived up to the setting and service. The appetizers were the perfect size. We had grilled octopus and tuna tartare. They rivaled the best Greek restaurants. The main course were perfectly complimented with sauces and vegetables. Everything was so delicious we even had dessert ( not usual). We had a cherry upside down cake and a lemon pannacotta to share. Both were excellent.

This was one of the best meals I have had and I live in New York City!

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Loved the food and the outdoor seating area. We came back a second night and sat indoor which was noisy so definitely enjoyed the outdoor area better. Doos was great both night though

Reviewed 8 August 2018

Great place to dine. Nice atmosphere either inside or outside.Food was very good. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

To sum it up, the noise level, very loud. I would think that I "high end" restaurant would be able to control the noise better, perhaps acoustic panels.
The food, not great. You do not mind paying top dollar if the food is top notch. In this case, it is not. Service is fair, not great. I thought I may have been questioned about the amount of food left on our plates, not the case. However, once we said we would like the check, that did come very quickly. Go figure. Will not be back. Glad I tried it, but over rated.