“Very good food, but pricy”
Review of The Diving Horse

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 21st & Dune Drive
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Really enjoyed the food but the portions were on the small side and everything is a la carte including salads and side dishes. The bread that they serve is a bit dry and not that hot when it is served. At a place like this, you expect the bread to be incredible. When I pay more for a meal, I expect to have amazing service. Our waiter was good, but he wasn't great.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This was my first visit to The Diving Horse, which had a charming atmosphere. The meals were flavorful with great presentation. Portions were not large, but filling if you also choose a few appetizers to start. I chose the scallop entree and it was delicious. In addition, the service was excellent and meticulous - we were seated at our reservation time and the waitress promptly explained their specials of the day. The Diving Horse is BYOB.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Our dinner was extremely disappointing, especially for the price. My partner had the pork ribs appetizer which was served whole, as a slab of meat on a plate without even a sprig of parsley to make it appetizing. My tuna tartar was served with a few broken crackers which was also very unappealing. They tasted ok but nothing special. Our mains were even worse. My fisherman’s stew was essentially Campbell’s Tomato soup with fish in it and his Halibut was totally bland. Last year we had an amazing meal here. They must have a new staff in the kitchen who seem to be clueless! We won’t be returning.

2  Thank Escapists2
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

We lucked out with a cancelled reservation on a Saturday night at 7. Excellent service and food. Scallops were amazing. Tomato salad appetizer was great as were pork ribs. Pasta special delicious and Brussels sprouts were delicious. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

This is a lovely little place located in the beach town of Avalon, N.J. which is in itself a place to visit with upscale boutiques and restaurants.
Diving Horse is an attractive and welcoming place. The food is seasonal and varied. We enjoyed the regional Raw Oyster plate and Calamari to start and the Short Ribs as entree. The ribs were excellent and fell away from the bone. The oysters were sweet and the Calamari tender and well prepared.
The Diving Horse is B.Y.O.B, but they will happily provide glasses and open your bottles for you.
The staff are friendly and attentive.
City street parking is available.
I would definitely revisit this restaurant when in the area. I believe it is only open during the summer season.